Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ECOSYSTEMS..

Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to increase and more benefits of trees are being...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky
    Like x 3

THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER PRUNING OF TREES..

The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as little as required in order to grow and produce...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

TREE HEALTH DIAGNOSIS - A SELF HELP GUIDE..

Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as much detail as possible to help in diagnosing any...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ROOTS..

The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant to the vitality and health of the tree. Also,...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. alex-adam

Killing Trees using Copper Nails?

I wouldn't condone using such methods if you don't own the tree and it's not on your land.I've not tried copper nails, not even sure that works, but I have drilled and killed some wild grown...
    I wouldn't condone using such methods if you don't own the tree and it's not on your land.I've not tried copper nails, not even sure that works, but I have drilled and killed some wild grown suckers trees that were very out of hand on my allotment. I I didn't cut them down as I couldn't...
    I wouldn't condone using such methods if you don't own the tree and it's not on your land.I've not tried copper nails, not even sure that works, but I have drilled and killed some wild grown suckers trees that were very out of hand on my...
    I wouldn't condone using such methods if you don't own the tree and it's not on your land.I've not tried copper nails, not even sure that works, but I have drilled and killed some wild grown...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Dave W

Killing a tree with glyphosate

I am getting it cut down. Checked with my neighbour that he doesn't want it. A month or so ago I gave a load of logs away on Freecycle from a laurel I'd cut down - the guy who took them rocked...
    I am getting it cut down. Checked with my neighbour that he doesn't want it. A month or so ago I gave a load of logs away on Freecycle from a laurel I'd cut down - the guy who took them rocked up with a chain saw to shorten some of the longer ones. He has a large log burner - not just some...
    I am getting it cut down. Checked with my neighbour that he doesn't want it. A month or so ago I gave a load of logs away on Freecycle from a laurel I'd cut down - the guy who took them rocked up with a chain saw to shorten some of the longer...
    I am getting it cut down. Checked with my neighbour that he doesn't want it. A month or so ago I gave a load of logs away on Freecycle from a laurel I'd cut down - the guy who took them rocked...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. mullerlidlicker

my flamingo tree is dying! please help!

That's such a pity, I absolutely love flamingo trees, they're so pretty. I had five of them but one seemed to die off alot sooner than the other four in the autumn & it's showing no signs of new...
    That's such a pity, I absolutely love flamingo trees, they're so pretty. I had five of them but one seemed to die off alot sooner than the other four in the autumn & it's showing no signs of new growth as yet, I have no idea what happened! You can get hold of them quite cheaply in homebase...
    That's such a pity, I absolutely love flamingo trees, they're so pretty. I had five of them but one seemed to die off alot sooner than the other four in the autumn & it's showing no signs of new growth as yet, I have no idea what happened! You...
    That's such a pity, I absolutely love flamingo trees, they're so pretty. I had five of them but one seemed to die off alot sooner than the other four in the autumn & it's showing no signs of new...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. elliegreenwellie

Help! White furry stuff on apple tree!!!

One other point about mites, they have 10 legs being crustaceans.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. spade

Soil type for acer

Peapod .... take care to remove reverting leaves... my own tree reverted completely :(
    Peapod .... take care to remove reverting leaves... my own tree reverted completely :(
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. skodaseven

Die-back and dead branches on mature silver birch trees

Yes, I thought that might be the case. The guy that cut them was asked to take about 1/3 off the height, maninly due to constant complaints from a neighbour, so I can't really blame him. I think...
    Yes, I thought that might be the case. The guy that cut them was asked to take about 1/3 off the height, maninly due to constant complaints from a neighbour, so I can't really blame him. I think my Dad may have had some branches removed prior to that, too. He's no longer with us, so I'm not...
    Yes, I thought that might be the case. The guy that cut them was asked to take about 1/3 off the height, maninly due to constant complaints from a neighbour, so I can't really blame him. I think my Dad may have had some branches removed prior to...
    Yes, I thought that might be the case. The guy that cut them was asked to take about 1/3 off the height, maninly due to constant complaints from a neighbour, so I can't really blame him. I think...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Mrjaywarren

How quickly do Laurel grow?

Ive got a 25m laurel hedge thats been 6ft tall a 2ft wide for 25 years now.Gets pruned 1/2 a year. No feeding required and no dramas. Wildlife wise its almost devoid of it but no problem as the...
    Ive got a 25m laurel hedge thats been 6ft tall a 2ft wide for 25 years now.Gets pruned 1/2 a year. No feeding required and no dramas. Wildlife wise its almost devoid of it but no problem as the rest of the garden is heaving with alsorts of birds bugs etc etc. Great hedging if u prune it yearly.
    Ive got a 25m laurel hedge thats been 6ft tall a 2ft wide for 25 years now.Gets pruned 1/2 a year. No feeding required and no dramas. Wildlife wise its almost devoid of it but no problem as the rest of the garden is heaving with alsorts of birds...
    Ive got a 25m laurel hedge thats been 6ft tall a 2ft wide for 25 years now.Gets pruned 1/2 a year. No feeding required and no dramas. Wildlife wise its almost devoid of it but no problem as the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Knows nothing

Are Rowan trees suitable for growing in pots?

Concerning plants in containers, a few basic points to consider. Watering, feeding,positioning the container, protecting the container from possible freezing or baking. Also perhaps the need to...
    Concerning plants in containers, a few basic points to consider. Watering, feeding,positioning the container, protecting the container from possible freezing or baking. Also perhaps the need to rotate the container allowing ample light etc all around. With taller subjects, consider perhaps the...
    Concerning plants in containers, a few basic points to consider. Watering, feeding,positioning the container, protecting the container from possible freezing or baking. Also perhaps the need to rotate the container allowing ample light etc all...
    Concerning plants in containers, a few basic points to consider. Watering, feeding,positioning the container, protecting the container from possible freezing or baking. Also perhaps the need to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Naylors Ark

Pruning Salix integra

Thanks for that Fidgetsmum. Mine is about 4 - 5 years old. It used to be in a large pot on the patio but never did that well. So I planted it out last year. Since then it has taken over.:heehee: (It does...
    Thanks for that Fidgetsmum. Mine is about 4 - 5 years old. It used to be in a large pot on the patio but never did that well. So I planted it out last year. Since then it has taken over.:heehee: (It does get burned ends in the summer too.)
    Thanks for that Fidgetsmum. Mine is about 4 - 5 years old. It used to be in a large pot on the patio but never did that well. So I planted it out last year. Since then it has taken over.:heehee: (It does get burned ends in the summer too.)
    Thanks for that Fidgetsmum. Mine is about 4 - 5 years old. It used to be in a large pot on the patio but never did that well. So I planted it out last year. Since then it has taken over.:heehee: (It does...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Roy Harrison

Holly tree losing leaves

The annual leaf fall is well under way again.....I'm still amazed how many fall though!:cnfs:
    The annual leaf fall is well under way again.....I'm still amazed how many fall though!:cnfs:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. daisybelle

Pruning a silver birch

Thanks for the reassurance, I'll leave it be then. When we moved in, there was a lilac tree closer to the wall than the silver birch and a huge ash equally close to the wall on the other side of...
    Thanks for the reassurance, I'll leave it be then. When we moved in, there was a lilac tree closer to the wall than the silver birch and a huge ash equally close to the wall on the other side of the garden. They didn't cause any problems and the building is derelict anyway, so I think I'll risk it
    Thanks for the reassurance, I'll leave it be then. When we moved in, there was a lilac tree closer to the wall than the silver birch and a huge ash equally close to the wall on the other side of the garden. They didn't cause any problems and the...
    Thanks for the reassurance, I'll leave it be then. When we moved in, there was a lilac tree closer to the wall than the silver birch and a huge ash equally close to the wall on the other side of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. intel

Potassium Nitrate For Tree Stump Removal

Get a stump grinder in or otherwise it's just brute force and ignorance - Go at it with a pickaxe. All these potions and lotions will be a waste of time and money.
    Get a stump grinder in or otherwise it's just brute force and ignorance - Go at it with a pickaxe. All these potions and lotions will be a waste of time and money.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. davver79

Advice on tree to block neighbours overlooking window

Thanks for the advice. I have ordered from grafton-nursery.co.uk. I'll post picks once it's in!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the advice. I have ordered from grafton-nursery.co.uk. I'll post picks once it's in!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Angelo_R

When should one prune a large magnolia tree?

I think this is a lesson for us all. That before you plant anything in any space you think of the adult size and will it fit. I know this is too late for this treasured tree. I only trim the...
    I think this is a lesson for us all. That before you plant anything in any space you think of the adult size and will it fit. I know this is too late for this treasured tree. I only trim the stems or branching of my Mags, that stick upward to the heavens, other than that, I leave it alone.
    I think this is a lesson for us all. That before you plant anything in any space you think of the adult size and will it fit. I know this is too late for this treasured tree. I only trim the stems or branching of my Mags, that stick upward to...
    I think this is a lesson for us all. That before you plant anything in any space you think of the adult size and will it fit. I know this is too late for this treasured tree. I only trim the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. pauby

Xmas Tree going brown (but needles are firmly on there)

They do burn well, 'specially the needles.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Lyn

Tree with blue flowers

Mine is in for a radical cut-back as soon as the flowering period is over. It seems like I can't do anything wrong by chopping off the straggly pieces.
    Mine is in for a radical cut-back as soon as the flowering period is over. It seems like I can't do anything wrong by chopping off the straggly pieces.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Trewsie

Newly planted magnolia tree is dying.

If I plant something like that, in the early part of summer, I will run a hose to near its base and turn the water on very low and just leave it running for several hours each day for about a good...
    If I plant something like that, in the early part of summer, I will run a hose to near its base and turn the water on very low and just leave it running for several hours each day for about a good week.
    If I plant something like that, in the early part of summer, I will run a hose to near its base and turn the water on very low and just leave it running for several hours each day for about a good week.
    If I plant something like that, in the early part of summer, I will run a hose to near its base and turn the water on very low and just leave it running for several hours each day for about a good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. lakeside

Killing a Lleylandii

This one I think: but unfortunately the O/P has removed the photographs
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. gcc3663

Killing Leylandii Roots

There is/was a commercial product "stump out" or something like that - drill into the stumps, pour it in and in a year or so they rot. I used it on a big flowering cherry to good effect, but it...
    There is/was a commercial product "stump out" or something like that - drill into the stumps, pour it in and in a year or so they rot. I used it on a big flowering cherry to good effect, but it did take two or three years. The roots of Leylandii will rot (more so than the stumps) but it takes...
    There is/was a commercial product "stump out" or something like that - drill into the stumps, pour it in and in a year or so they rot. I used it on a big flowering cherry to good effect, but it did take two or three years. The roots of Leylandii...
    There is/was a commercial product "stump out" or something like that - drill into the stumps, pour it in and in a year or so they rot. I used it on a big flowering cherry to good effect, but it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Scrungee

Pink flowered horse chestnut

I planted a "dwarf" horse chestnut in my old garden; it has pink/purple flowers with a yellow centre, dull green leaves and after many many years it only reached 4/5ft in height and about 6ft...
    I planted a "dwarf" horse chestnut in my old garden; it has pink/purple flowers with a yellow centre, dull green leaves and after many many years it only reached 4/5ft in height and about 6ft spread, the 'chestnuts' got to about the size of a hazlenut but then usually dropped off. A lovely...
    I planted a "dwarf" horse chestnut in my old garden; it has pink/purple flowers with a yellow centre, dull green leaves and after many many years it only reached 4/5ft in height and about 6ft spread, the 'chestnuts' got to about the size of a...
    I planted a "dwarf" horse chestnut in my old garden; it has pink/purple flowers with a yellow centre, dull green leaves and after many many years it only reached 4/5ft in height and about 6ft...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice