1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↑ Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK

What's looking Exotic 2024

I wondered what season it was in Puerto de la Cruz:scratch:
    P8310016.JPG P8310019.JPG P8310012.JPG 20240117_111820.jpg 20240118_113009.jpg 20240118_113101.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  4.   » Normal Threads
  5. Kitte

Orchid treatment.

I would just like to draw the attention of you orchid lovers to some YouTube videos I have been finding very useful recently.They are called Happiness Garden and are from somewhere in the far...
    I would just like to draw the attention of you orchid lovers to some YouTube videos I have been finding very useful recently.They are called Happiness Garden and are from somewhere in the far east, all about orchids and how to treat them. Filmed with no narrative, just lovely music, with a...
    I would just like to draw the attention of you orchid lovers to some YouTube videos I have been finding very useful recently.They are called Happiness Garden and are from somewhere in the far east, all about orchids and how to treat them....
    I would just like to draw the attention of you orchid lovers to some YouTube videos I have been finding very useful recently.They are called Happiness Garden and are from somewhere in the far...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Victoria
    Like x 3

Beaucarnea

Beaucarnea recurvata with two Beaucarnea guatemalensis in front ... there were three but one died ...
    Beaucarnea recurvata with two Beaucarnea guatemalensis in front ... there were three but one died ...
    Beaucarnea 2 Jul 23.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. pete

Hedychium, Tara. Ginger.

I've been dividing a pot full of this today and have a few pieces to spare. If anyone is interested let me know either in this thread or by PM.I grow it mostly in a big pot, but it is fairly...
    I've been dividing a pot full of this today and have a few pieces to spare. If anyone is interested let me know either in this thread or by PM.I grow it mostly in a big pot, but it is fairly hardy in a well drained sunny spot.Numbers are limited but if I get a reasonable response I might...
    I've been dividing a pot full of this today and have a few pieces to spare. If anyone is interested let me know either in this thread or by PM.I grow it mostly in a big pot, but it is fairly hardy in a well drained sunny spot.Numbers are...
    I've been dividing a pot full of this today and have a few pieces to spare. If anyone is interested let me know either in this thread or by PM.I grow it mostly in a big pot, but it is fairly...
    DSC01725.JPG DSC01726.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. momo1103

Yellow spots on lemon plant

Hi all, Does anyone know why my lemon plant has recently started getting small yellow spots on its leaves? If it is harmful how do I get rid of them/make sure it doesn't get any more?
    Hi all, Does anyone know why my lemon plant has recently started getting small yellow spots on its leaves? If it is harmful how do I get rid of them/make sure it doesn't get any more?
    IMG_2401.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. shrimp

How to grow phyllostachys nigra seeds

I've bought some phyllostachys nigra seeds from ebay that came with germination instructions but as the seller didn't reply to my message once I bought the seeds I think they got the instructions...
    I've bought some phyllostachys nigra seeds from ebay that came with germination instructions but as the seller didn't reply to my message once I bought the seeds I think they got the instructions off the internet and they don't know if the instructions works.This is what the instructions...
    I've bought some phyllostachys nigra seeds from ebay that came with germination instructions but as the seller didn't reply to my message once I bought the seeds I think they got the instructions off the internet and they don't know if the...
    I've bought some phyllostachys nigra seeds from ebay that came with germination instructions but as the seller didn't reply to my message once I bought the seeds I think they got the instructions...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Greybelle

Organic citrus feed

Can anyone recommend organic summer and winter citrus feed?
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Selleri

So I bought some cacti and succulent seeds. Any tips?

I impulse bought a new hobby but am a bit unsure on how to get the best results from the seeds. I grow a few cacti and succulents as house plants with nice success, and have a monster of a dragon...
    I impulse bought a new hobby but am a bit unsure on how to get the best results from the seeds. I grow a few cacti and succulents as house plants with nice success, and have a monster of a dragon fruit grown from seeds, but otherwise it has been zillions of years since I grew them from seeds....
    I impulse bought a new hobby but am a bit unsure on how to get the best results from the seeds. I grow a few cacti and succulents as house plants with nice success, and have a monster of a dragon fruit grown from seeds, but otherwise it has been...
    I impulse bought a new hobby but am a bit unsure on how to get the best results from the seeds. I grow a few cacti and succulents as house plants with nice success, and have a monster of a dragon...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. GCHQ

WHAT'S LOOKING EXOTIC IN 2017, a

Old thread here :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. longk

Mackaya bella

One of the best new plants this year has been Mackaya bella.....................It set seed and I collected as many as I could (bearing in mind that the pods explode). A trial sowing of ten...
    One of the best new plants this year has been Mackaya bella.....................It set seed and I collected as many as I could (bearing in mind that the pods explode). A trial sowing of ten seeds has so far produced five seedlings at the three week mark.....................As if that's...
    One of the best new plants this year has been Mackaya bella.....................It set seed and I collected as many as I could (bearing in mind that the pods explode). A trial sowing of ten seeds has so far produced five seedlings at the...
    One of the best new plants this year has been Mackaya bella.....................It set seed and I collected as many as I could (bearing in mind that the pods explode). A trial sowing of ten...
    DSC_1323.jpg DSC_1320.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. sal73

Palm grass setaria palmifolia

While I was driving around New Zealnd , near by Christchurch (10/15 frost every year and -4c ) I saw this amazing plant that look like a young coconut tree , but then after a closer look I...
    While I was driving around New Zealnd , near by Christchurch (10/15 frost every year and -4c ) I saw this amazing plant that look like a young coconut tree , but then after a closer look I realised that it was setaria palmifolia never seen it before and i was quite surprice to see that actually...
    While I was driving around New Zealnd , near by Christchurch (10/15 frost every year and -4c ) I saw this amazing plant that look like a young coconut tree , but then after a closer look I realised that it was setaria palmifolia never seen it...
    While I was driving around New Zealnd , near by Christchurch (10/15 frost every year and -4c ) I saw this amazing plant that look like a young coconut tree , but then after a closer look I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Scotkat

I bought new Orchid yesterday

I shall share a photo later.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Scotkat

Orchids

Yesterday I fed all my Orchids some with just growth feed. And Orchids in bloom used Orchid bloom feed. Next time I will feed them shall be end of January.
    Yesterday I fed all my Orchids some with just growth feed. And Orchids in bloom used Orchid bloom feed. Next time I will feed them shall be end of January.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. liliana

Commelina Dianthifolia

I have never grown this plant before, so thought I would give it a go. :ideaIPB: I Have 7 plants in my conservatory, and for the past 2 months have started happily flowering away. :yes:. How long can I...
    I have never grown this plant before, so thought I would give it a go. :ideaIPB: I Have 7 plants in my conservatory, and for the past 2 months have started happily flowering away. :yes:. How long can I expect them to keep flowering,Do I cut them back/do they die down by themselves?, any information would...
    I have never grown this plant before, so thought I would give it a go. :ideaIPB: I Have 7 plants in my conservatory, and for the past 2 months have started happily flowering away. :yes:. How long can I expect them to keep flowering,Do I cut them back/do...
    I have never grown this plant before, so thought I would give it a go. :ideaIPB: I Have 7 plants in my conservatory, and for the past 2 months have started happily flowering away. :yes:. How long can I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. sal73

Banana Rajapuri seeds

Years ago I`ve managed to germinate banana rajapuri from a banana bought in a shop , don`t ask how I lost the plants as I still feel stupid. Anyway bought some more bananas last week and the seeds...
    Years ago I`ve managed to germinate banana rajapuri from a banana bought in a shop , don`t ask how I lost the plants as I still feel stupid. Anyway bought some more bananas last week and the seeds are actually tiny smaller then before and they are coming from Ghana and not from Thailnad as...
    Years ago I`ve managed to germinate banana rajapuri from a banana bought in a shop , don`t ask how I lost the plants as I still feel stupid. Anyway bought some more bananas last week and the seeds are actually tiny smaller then before and they...
    Years ago I`ve managed to germinate banana rajapuri from a banana bought in a shop , don`t ask how I lost the plants as I still feel stupid. Anyway bought some more bananas last week and the seeds...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. sal73
    Like x 7

How to grow a Pinapple

In case anyone would love to grow a virtual free tropical plant this is how is done. Select a nice and healty plant , avoid large pinapple from the caribbean or hawaii , then pinch one of the...
    In case anyone would love to grow a virtual free tropical plant this is how is done. Select a nice and healty plant , avoid large pinapple from the caribbean or hawaii , then pinch one of the middle leaves and try to pull one off , if the leave will come off then avoid that one and get a fresh...
    In case anyone would love to grow a virtual free tropical plant this is how is done. Select a nice and healty plant , avoid large pinapple from the caribbean or hawaii , then pinch one of the middle leaves and try to pull one off , if the leave...
    In case anyone would love to grow a virtual free tropical plant this is how is done. Select a nice and healty plant , avoid large pinapple from the caribbean or hawaii , then pinch one of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. longk

Phanaenopsis noids in bloom

Quite a few of the houseplants have sulked since the move, especially the orchids. A couple have thrived though............. This is one of my favourites..............
    Quite a few of the houseplants have sulked since the move, especially the orchids. A couple have thrived though............. This is one of my favourites..............
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. longk

Tricyrtis lasiocarpa from seed

I have been sent some seeds for Tricyrtis lasiocarpa and have two questions;1 - are these viable seeds? They look a little small to me............. and2 - what is the correct way to...
    I have been sent some seeds for Tricyrtis lasiocarpa and have two questions;1 - are these viable seeds? They look a little small to me............. and2 - what is the correct way to go about germinating them? I've grown Tricyrtis in the past and have always needed to give them a...
    I have been sent some seeds for Tricyrtis lasiocarpa and have two questions;1 - are these viable seeds? They look a little small to me............. and2 - what is the correct way to go about germinating them? I've grown Tricyrtis...
    I have been sent some seeds for Tricyrtis lasiocarpa and have two questions;1 - are these viable seeds? They look a little small to me............. and2 - what is the correct way to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Michelea

HELP...WINDMILL PALM SCALE

Hi, I am both new to the forum and to gardening!!! I purchased 3 Trachycarpus fortunei palms. Two are doing very well indeed but the third has what i think is palm scale. I can only describe that...
    Hi, I am both new to the forum and to gardening!!! I purchased 3 Trachycarpus fortunei palms. Two are doing very well indeed but the third has what i think is palm scale. I can only describe that the poorly palm has clear like dots which have a brown centre. When i have removed them they kinda...
    Hi, I am both new to the forum and to gardening!!! I purchased 3 Trachycarpus fortunei palms. Two are doing very well indeed but the third has what i think is palm scale. I can only describe that the poorly palm has clear like dots which have a...
    Hi, I am both new to the forum and to gardening!!! I purchased 3 Trachycarpus fortunei palms. Two are doing very well indeed but the third has what i think is palm scale. I can only describe that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. longk

Acidanthera problems

When I first "re-discovered" gardening I bought some Acidanthera corms and got great results! Year after year too. Then I moved and the blooming of this plant was a thing of the past:scratch: On the...
    When I first "re-discovered" gardening I bought some Acidanthera corms and got great results! Year after year too. Then I moved and the blooming of this plant was a thing of the past:scratch: On the face of it everything is the same - both gardens face south, plenty of sun etc. So what am I doing...
    When I first "re-discovered" gardening I bought some Acidanthera corms and got great results! Year after year too. Then I moved and the blooming of this plant was a thing of the past:scratch: On the face of it everything is the same - both gardens face...
    When I first "re-discovered" gardening I bought some Acidanthera corms and got great results! Year after year too. Then I moved and the blooming of this plant was a thing of the past:scratch: On the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. *dim*

Some interesting plants

stumbled accross a website selling unusual plants/shrubs in the UK Tropical Plants | Carreglefn Nurseries | Buy Online found these interesting: Avocado Bacon .... hardy to -5 degrees .......
    stumbled accross a website selling unusual plants/shrubs in the UK Tropical Plants | Carreglefn Nurseries | Buy Online found these interesting: Avocado Bacon .... hardy to -5 degrees .... have researched further, and many say it is hardier ... takes 3 years to start producing avos though,...
    stumbled accross a website selling unusual plants/shrubs in the UK Tropical Plants | Carreglefn Nurseries | Buy Online found these interesting: Avocado Bacon .... hardy to -5 degrees .... have researched further, and many say it is hardier...
    stumbled accross a website selling unusual plants/shrubs in the UK Tropical Plants | Carreglefn Nurseries | Buy Online found these interesting: Avocado Bacon .... hardy to -5 degrees .......
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice