1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Webmaster

Should I be concerned if these were on my Banana plant ?

We have a brill Butterfly park up north near Stockton on tees, they have hundreds of butterflys, catapillars also they have grouse running around the floor (very funny little birds) and they used...
    We have a brill Butterfly park up north near Stockton on tees, they have hundreds of butterflys, catapillars also they have grouse running around the floor (very funny little birds) and they used to have Iguanas, but not sure if they still have them, i used to breed lizards and snake in my early...
    We have a brill Butterfly park up north near Stockton on tees, they have hundreds of butterflys, catapillars also they have grouse running around the floor (very funny little birds) and they used to have Iguanas, but not sure if they still have...
    We have a brill Butterfly park up north near Stockton on tees, they have hundreds of butterflys, catapillars also they have grouse running around the floor (very funny little birds) and they used...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. suedobie

Cannas - Overwintering

Thanks Bayleaf & Gardenangel.The reason I took them outof the pots is because they started growing new shoots in the Winter, so I thought they should be dormant during the winter months. Will...
    Thanks Bayleaf & Gardenangel.The reason I took them outof the pots is because they started growing new shoots in the Winter, so I thought they should be dormant during the winter months. Will try again this year
    Thanks Bayleaf & Gardenangel.The reason I took them outof the pots is because they started growing new shoots in the Winter, so I thought they should be dormant during the winter months. Will try again this year
    Thanks Bayleaf & Gardenangel.The reason I took them outof the pots is because they started growing new shoots in the Winter, so I thought they should be dormant during the winter months. Will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. blume

dying yucca

Well, you're slaving over a hot computer till the small wee hours. Thanks for the link - no, it's most definitely a yucca. I'm afraid I've only recently mastered the basics of the computer, so...
    Well, you're slaving over a hot computer till the small wee hours. Thanks for the link - no, it's most definitely a yucca. I'm afraid I've only recently mastered the basics of the computer, so taking and posting photos - well you may as well ask me to garble away in martian speak ( should...
    Well, you're slaving over a hot computer till the small wee hours. Thanks for the link - no, it's most definitely a yucca. I'm afraid I've only recently mastered the basics of the computer, so taking and posting photos - well you may as well...
    Well, you're slaving over a hot computer till the small wee hours. Thanks for the link - no, it's most definitely a yucca. I'm afraid I've only recently mastered the basics of the computer, so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. maxine

Rubber Plant

http://www.life.uiuc.edu/plantbio/102/disc/rubber.htmlhttp://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/advanced/Propagation/Airlayering.htm
    http://www.life.uiuc.edu/plantbio/102/disc/rubber.htmlhttp://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/advanced/Propagation/Airlayering.htm
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. SteveW

Cycad Seedlings

def same leaf pattern
    def same leaf pattern
    def same leaf pattern
    def same leaf pattern
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. samsoph

pineapple

Hi Pete, i think i can just make it out on the little pic, i'd love to be able to do that its brilliant! i am going to plant the stalk this weekend, it had some roots already when i cut away the...
    Hi Pete, i think i can just make it out on the little pic, i'd love to be able to do that its brilliant! i am going to plant the stalk this weekend, it had some roots already when i cut away the bottom so hopefully it will take ok, i'll keep the seeds going if i can, my kids love watching...
    Hi Pete, i think i can just make it out on the little pic, i'd love to be able to do that its brilliant! i am going to plant the stalk this weekend, it had some roots already when i cut away the bottom so hopefully it will take ok, i'll keep the...
    Hi Pete, i think i can just make it out on the little pic, i'd love to be able to do that its brilliant! i am going to plant the stalk this weekend, it had some roots already when i cut away the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Gardening Newbie

Datura Pruning

Helen If you put it in the extension it will keep growing and may even flower. Nik
    Helen If you put it in the extension it will keep growing and may even flower. Nik
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. betty boop

Canna lilies

Betty, I have known friends who have left theirs out and they have survived without attention, however, I lost mine. I think I would be tempted to cover them with a cloche or similar if you...
    Betty, I have known friends who have left theirs out and they have survived without attention, however, I lost mine. I think I would be tempted to cover them with a cloche or similar if you cannot lift them.
    Betty, I have known friends who have left theirs out and they have survived without attention, however, I lost mine. I think I would be tempted to cover them with a cloche or similar if you cannot lift them.
    Betty, I have known friends who have left theirs out and they have survived without attention, however, I lost mine. I think I would be tempted to cover them with a cloche or similar if you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. adie

Rubber Plants (Ficus elasticus)

Sounds as though you have a very healthy fiscus elastica there Adie. I have known people to cut a whole in their ceiling to allow it to continue to grow upwards! I think that is taking it too...
    Sounds as though you have a very healthy fiscus elastica there Adie. I have known people to cut a whole in their ceiling to allow it to continue to grow upwards! I think that is taking it too far. You can top it at any time as Pete says it is a tree. If you do not want to clean the leaves...
    Sounds as though you have a very healthy fiscus elastica there Adie. I have known people to cut a whole in their ceiling to allow it to continue to grow upwards! I think that is taking it too far. You can top it at any time as Pete says it is...
    Sounds as though you have a very healthy fiscus elastica there Adie. I have known people to cut a whole in their ceiling to allow it to continue to grow upwards! I think that is taking it too...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. carol00

yukka

Not a good time of the year to be doing this carol. Spring would have been better,but,if you need to you can cut yucca stems up into pieces, and each piece can form a new plant. Rooting them...
    Not a good time of the year to be doing this carol. Spring would have been better,but,if you need to you can cut yucca stems up into pieces, and each piece can form a new plant. Rooting them could be difficult at this time of the year though. I cut mine with a fine toothed saw, let the cut...
    Not a good time of the year to be doing this carol. Spring would have been better,but,if you need to you can cut yucca stems up into pieces, and each piece can form a new plant. Rooting them could be difficult at this time of the year though. I...
    Not a good time of the year to be doing this carol. Spring would have been better,but,if you need to you can cut yucca stems up into pieces, and each piece can form a new plant. Rooting them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Nik

Over Wintering Exotics

I keep an aerosol of provado handy through the winter and spot treat any pests I see. The aerosol is much better than the ready mixed insectacide that drenches everything in water which doesn't...
    I keep an aerosol of provado handy through the winter and spot treat any pests I see. The aerosol is much better than the ready mixed insectacide that drenches everything in water which doesn't dry out in the winter.
    I keep an aerosol of provado handy through the winter and spot treat any pests I see. The aerosol is much better than the ready mixed insectacide that drenches everything in water which doesn't dry out in the winter.
    I keep an aerosol of provado handy through the winter and spot treat any pests I see. The aerosol is much better than the ready mixed insectacide that drenches everything in water which doesn't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. hollowaykid

Yucca plant

Is it a true Yucca?Dracaenas are often sold as conservatory plants and are similar in leaf shapeA yucca should stand pruning no probs...however if it a severe pruning i would cut back perhaps...
    Is it a true Yucca?Dracaenas are often sold as conservatory plants and are similar in leaf shapeA yucca should stand pruning no probs...however if it a severe pruning i would cut back perhaps just over half of the protruding leaves first time, wait to make sure its not adversely affected it...
    Is it a true Yucca?Dracaenas are often sold as conservatory plants and are similar in leaf shapeA yucca should stand pruning no probs...however if it a severe pruning i would cut back perhaps just over half of the protruding leaves first...
    Is it a true Yucca?Dracaenas are often sold as conservatory plants and are similar in leaf shapeA yucca should stand pruning no probs...however if it a severe pruning i would cut back perhaps...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. hans

bananas again

Up to 18 foot, well, that is a supprise, I will have to move it early spring [and change my name to jack.] It is for show and it looks absolutely great indoors. I will repost in the spring and...
    Up to 18 foot, well, that is a supprise, I will have to move it early spring [and change my name to jack.] It is for show and it looks absolutely great indoors. I will repost in the spring and you fellows can have a final check to see whether it is a Basjoo or sikkimiensis, I don't mind either...
    Up to 18 foot, well, that is a supprise, I will have to move it early spring [and change my name to jack.] It is for show and it looks absolutely great indoors. I will repost in the spring and you fellows can have a final check to see whether it...
    Up to 18 foot, well, that is a supprise, I will have to move it early spring [and change my name to jack.] It is for show and it looks absolutely great indoors. I will repost in the spring and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. tina

rubber plant

tina, cuttings do root but the usual method of air layering works well, although I find it a bit of a messy job. Really it is better if you can wait till spring though.
    tina, cuttings do root but the usual method of air layering works well, although I find it a bit of a messy job. Really it is better if you can wait till spring though.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. SteveW

Overwintering Cannas

To save me posting a new picture, just imagine the one above that I posted yesterday only with brown leaves instead of green! and thats how they look todayJack frost stopped a while overnight...
    To save me posting a new picture, just imagine the one above that I posted yesterday only with brown leaves instead of green! and thats how they look todayJack frost stopped a while overnight sround here :D :mad:
    To save me posting a new picture, just imagine the one above that I posted yesterday only with brown leaves instead of green! and thats how they look todayJack frost stopped a while overnight sround here :D :mad:
    To save me posting a new picture, just imagine the one above that I posted yesterday only with brown leaves instead of green! and thats how they look todayJack frost stopped a while overnight...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. BOB WHITTON

avacardo

Or a little Gin, to er, cleanse the palate. :rolleyes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. em

kiwi plant??

Try here folks, for a self fertile variety http://www.jparkers.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.standard&continueaction=category.search&search=kiwi&producttype_id=48050
    Try here folks, for a self fertile variety http://www.jparkers.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.standard&continueaction=category.search&search=kiwi&producttype_id=48050
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. duckyjuk

outsde yukka

im moving house soon ab=nd want to take my outside yukka with me...Is it safe to dig it up now...January and replant?
    im moving house soon ab=nd want to take my outside yukka with me...Is it safe to dig it up now...January and replant?
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. mayflower

cordyline

thank you pete2255 think we will leave them on till the summer then see what it looks like if we deside to take them of will we have to use rooting powder. thanks again...
    thank you pete2255 think we will leave them on till the summer then see what it looks like if we deside to take them of will we have to use rooting powder. thanks again...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. geoff

Canna`s

If you do decide to grow then in the ground geoff, dont plant them straight out into the garden, get them started with a bit of heat in the greenhouse, in pots first, then plant them out when its...
    If you do decide to grow then in the ground geoff, dont plant them straight out into the garden, get them started with a bit of heat in the greenhouse, in pots first, then plant them out when its normal time for bedding plants in your area. That way they flower much earlier. :D
    If you do decide to grow then in the ground geoff, dont plant them straight out into the garden, get them started with a bit of heat in the greenhouse, in pots first, then plant them out when its normal time for bedding plants in your area. That...
    If you do decide to grow then in the ground geoff, dont plant them straight out into the garden, get them started with a bit of heat in the greenhouse, in pots first, then plant them out when its...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice