1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. longk
    Like x 6

Winter surprises

After the recent cold snap the Echium looks as if it is toast. The Iochroma have defoliated but I'm not worried as far as their prospects go. The Nicotiana are still looking okay too. @PeterS -...
    After the recent cold snap the Echium looks as if it is toast. The Iochroma have defoliated but I'm not worried as far as their prospects go. The Nicotiana are still looking okay too. @PeterS - amazingly the Caiophora is still looking ok. I haven't forgotten, just a bit housebound with my other...
    After the recent cold snap the Echium looks as if it is toast. The Iochroma have defoliated but I'm not worried as far as their prospects go. The Nicotiana are still looking okay too. @PeterS - amazingly the Caiophora is still looking ok. I...
    After the recent cold snap the Echium looks as if it is toast. The Iochroma have defoliated but I'm not worried as far as their prospects go. The Nicotiana are still looking okay too. @PeterS -...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. PeterS

Winter preparations

That's what I do, although if planted deep enough and with a bark mulch they will come through most winters.
    That's what I do, although if planted deep enough and with a bark mulch they will come through most winters.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Beachlover

Winter Banana

If it is decorative, then just cut it off about 6" from the ground and cover with pine straw to protect from the ice and freezing. It will come back each year. If you want to eventually get...
    If it is decorative, then just cut it off about 6" from the ground and cover with pine straw to protect from the ice and freezing. It will come back each year. If you want to eventually get bananas from it, then it really needs to be transplanted into a greenhouse or something similar for the...
    If it is decorative, then just cut it off about 6" from the ground and cover with pine straw to protect from the ice and freezing. It will come back each year. If you want to eventually get bananas from it, then it really needs to be transplanted...
    If it is decorative, then just cut it off about 6" from the ground and cover with pine straw to protect from the ice and freezing. It will come back each year. If you want to eventually get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Bournemouth Gardener

Windy conditions

They are awseome Longk you (all of you have really opened my mind. fantastic. I have only just moved into my new house and with moving and everything else all I have managed to do is clear the...
    They are awseome Longk you (all of you have really opened my mind. fantastic. I have only just moved into my new house and with moving and everything else all I have managed to do is clear the years of weeds and make way for improvement over this year. I will take some photos and put them (not...
    They are awseome Longk you (all of you have really opened my mind. fantastic. I have only just moved into my new house and with moving and everything else all I have managed to do is clear the years of weeds and make way for improvement over this...
    They are awseome Longk you (all of you have really opened my mind. fantastic. I have only just moved into my new house and with moving and everything else all I have managed to do is clear the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Carllennon

Will this grow new shoots?

Thanks for the replies. I might just keep it now :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. PeterS
    Like x 8

Why not grow something new

Of course - I do very well in breeding them!:) Or I keep everything so damp to keep them away, that I get wonderful botrytis on everything. Never tried bauhinia though.
    Of course - I do very well in breeding them!:) Or I keep everything so damp to keep them away, that I get wonderful botrytis on everything. Never tried bauhinia though.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. clarky

Who's munching my Canna Lillies ?

Hi Clarky D'you mean Canna's or Calla lilies?
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. PeterS
    Like x 9

Whisley glasshouse

Wow you were lucky to get a personal tour especially by someone that knows the place.
    Wow you were lucky to get a personal tour especially by someone that knows the place.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Waco

Which Exotics?

Hi dendy, First is Echinocereus as is the second and third, I'm not sure about the exact naming as they were grown from packets of mixed seed. Third is a lobivia and the last is notocactus...
    Hi dendy, First is Echinocereus as is the second and third, I'm not sure about the exact naming as they were grown from packets of mixed seed. Third is a lobivia and the last is notocactus ottonis. They are all easy to grow and flower, along with rebutia which really grows like a weed and...
    Hi dendy, First is Echinocereus as is the second and third, I'm not sure about the exact naming as they were grown from packets of mixed seed. Third is a lobivia and the last is notocactus ottonis. They are all easy to grow and flower, along...
    Hi dendy, First is Echinocereus as is the second and third, I'm not sure about the exact naming as they were grown from packets of mixed seed. Third is a lobivia and the last is notocactus...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Kristen

Which Aloes and Agaves to grow?

... and several years' wait !!
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. SiXpence

When to Waken

Nice one guys - joined a few minutes ago, and feel like I've learned something already! Follow the same sort of practice with bananas at home, but not Canna before. Maybe this ought to be the...
    Nice one guys - joined a few minutes ago, and feel like I've learned something already! Follow the same sort of practice with bananas at home, but not Canna before. Maybe this ought to be the year I start...
    Nice one guys - joined a few minutes ago, and feel like I've learned something already! Follow the same sort of practice with bananas at home, but not Canna before. Maybe this ought to be the year I start...
    Nice one guys - joined a few minutes ago, and feel like I've learned something already! Follow the same sort of practice with bananas at home, but not Canna before. Maybe this ought to be the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. welshone

When to plant a Phoenix Canariensis in the ground

ThanksYes, it suffers some wind burn as its near the border between 2 houses and the winter gales blow between. And yes its near zero perhaps max of an hour when the sun goes past between the...
    ThanksYes, it suffers some wind burn as its near the border between 2 houses and the winter gales blow between. And yes its near zero perhaps max of an hour when the sun goes past between the houses in mid winter..
    ThanksYes, it suffers some wind burn as its near the border between 2 houses and the winter gales blow between. And yes its near zero perhaps max of an hour when the sun goes past between the houses in mid winter..
    ThanksYes, it suffers some wind burn as its near the border between 2 houses and the winter gales blow between. And yes its near zero perhaps max of an hour when the sun goes past between the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Danny Hughes

When to decide passion flower is dead?

I've never found P. Edulis to be hardy.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Dips

When should i bring my brug inside

Not actually Brugs, and as longk says, quite a bit hardier.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. simon n

When do Ensettes hit the garden centres?

When all danger of frosts has gone, that's when most of the tender stuff starts to appear - could be late May or June around us.
    When all danger of frosts has gone, that's when most of the tender stuff starts to appear - could be late May or June around us.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Dips

When can my Brug go out?

Lol that would not be wanted
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Keving

Whats wrong with my Banana plant

Its not that warm here in the winter Fancy. Last winter was pretty mild, I think in most parts of the UK, but the year before was frosty.I tend to think that as long as the frost is...
    Its not that warm here in the winter Fancy. Last winter was pretty mild, I think in most parts of the UK, but the year before was frosty.I tend to think that as long as the frost is intermittant and the plant can thaw out each day then they usually are alright. Continuous frost is the big...
    Its not that warm here in the winter Fancy. Last winter was pretty mild, I think in most parts of the UK, but the year before was frosty.I tend to think that as long as the frost is intermittant and the plant can thaw out each day then they...
    Its not that warm here in the winter Fancy. Last winter was pretty mild, I think in most parts of the UK, but the year before was frosty.I tend to think that as long as the frost is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Kristen

What's Looking Exotic In September 2013

New thread available for What's Looking Exotic in October 2013 - in case you want to mark it as "watched"
    New thread available for What's Looking Exotic in October 2013 - in case you want to mark it as "watched"
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Kristen
    Like x 6

What's looking exotic in September 2012

:blue thumb: I'm sure the fact they are undercover from rain will make the big difference.
    :blue thumb: I'm sure the fact they are undercover from rain will make the big difference.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Kristen
    Useful x 3

What's Looking Exotic In October 2014

I received it as a wee cutting a few weeks ago. I was surprised when this flower bud started to emerge.Mine was doing well until I discovered what good bedding plants they make...................
    I received it as a wee cutting a few weeks ago. I was surprised when this flower bud started to emerge.Mine was doing well until I discovered what good bedding plants they make...................
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice