1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. wilroda

Banana advice please!

Hi All.No i dont live in New Zealand!!Christchurch on the south coast, close to the New Forest, thats me! ...... i dont think they use greenhouses in New Zealand in March.......to keep the...
    Hi All.No i dont live in New Zealand!!Christchurch on the south coast, close to the New Forest, thats me! ...... i dont think they use greenhouses in New Zealand in March.......to keep the frost off.........
    Hi All.No i dont live in New Zealand!!Christchurch on the south coast, close to the New Forest, thats me! ...... i dont think they use greenhouses in New Zealand in March.......to keep the frost off.........
    Hi All.No i dont live in New Zealand!!Christchurch on the south coast, close to the New Forest, thats me! ...... i dont think they use greenhouses in New Zealand in March.......to keep the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Beachlover

Winter Banana

If it is decorative, then just cut it off about 6" from the ground and cover with pine straw to protect from the ice and freezing. It will come back each year. If you want to eventually get...
    If it is decorative, then just cut it off about 6" from the ground and cover with pine straw to protect from the ice and freezing. It will come back each year. If you want to eventually get bananas from it, then it really needs to be transplanted into a greenhouse or something similar for the...
    If it is decorative, then just cut it off about 6" from the ground and cover with pine straw to protect from the ice and freezing. It will come back each year. If you want to eventually get bananas from it, then it really needs to be transplanted...
    If it is decorative, then just cut it off about 6" from the ground and cover with pine straw to protect from the ice and freezing. It will come back each year. If you want to eventually get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Freddy

Ensete maurelii 'Red Abyssinian' Banana

Ok Pete, thanks :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Beachlover

Banana Plant

Hi Beachlover, Welcome to GC.. Its natural for the bottom Leave's to Die off, youv'e done the right thing cutting them off..
    Hi Beachlover, Welcome to GC.. Its natural for the bottom Leave's to Die off, youv'e done the right thing cutting them off..
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. walnut

Banana

Walnut, thats a fabulous tree. Does that mean bananas all round then?With UK trees, they won't flower till they become adult - which in normally determined by years rather than size. Would...
    Walnut, thats a fabulous tree. Does that mean bananas all round then?With UK trees, they won't flower till they become adult - which in normally determined by years rather than size. Would that be the same for a banana?
    Walnut, thats a fabulous tree. Does that mean bananas all round then?With UK trees, they won't flower till they become adult - which in normally determined by years rather than size. Would that be the same for a banana?
    Walnut, thats a fabulous tree. Does that mean bananas all round then?With UK trees, they won't flower till they become adult - which in normally determined by years rather than size. Would...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. sage and onion

Tropical beds - garden project

That's my plan to stock up and pot on now til April and them hopefully have quite a few plants. Have been offered a pineapple plant/tree not sure what it looks like or if it will go with my...
    That's my plan to stock up and pot on now til April and them hopefully have quite a few plants. Have been offered a pineapple plant/tree not sure what it looks like or if it will go with my planting. I will be after advice alot as I live quite coastal and it gets a bit windy so am a bit worried...
    That's my plan to stock up and pot on now til April and them hopefully have quite a few plants. Have been offered a pineapple plant/tree not sure what it looks like or if it will go with my planting. I will be after advice alot as I live quite...
    That's my plan to stock up and pot on now til April and them hopefully have quite a few plants. Have been offered a pineapple plant/tree not sure what it looks like or if it will go with my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. sezelene

Tropical Back Garden

Very well done Sezelene and no annoying grass too which of course gives you loads more time to enjoy your jungle! Yippee!:D Hel.xxx.
    Very well done Sezelene and no annoying grass too which of course gives you loads more time to enjoy your jungle! Yippee!:D Hel.xxx.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. coub

abyssinian banana

Thanks very much bananaman just wondered about the chicken pellets as I have noticed that there are brown marks appearing on the leaves,and some of them split.
    Thanks very much bananaman just wondered about the chicken pellets as I have noticed that there are brown marks appearing on the leaves,and some of them split.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. fleabag155

New Raised terrace, planting tropicals???

Hi FleabagYour terrace sounds like quite a challenge. I assume that it's in full sun as well as sharply drained? If so, I wouldn't worry about adding grit but I'd definitely add as much...
    Hi FleabagYour terrace sounds like quite a challenge. I assume that it's in full sun as well as sharply drained? If so, I wouldn't worry about adding grit but I'd definitely add as much compost, and water retaining material as I could. It's a bit late to add manure this year in my view but...
    Hi FleabagYour terrace sounds like quite a challenge. I assume that it's in full sun as well as sharply drained? If so, I wouldn't worry about adding grit but I'd definitely add as much compost, and water retaining material as I could. It's...
    Hi FleabagYour terrace sounds like quite a challenge. I assume that it's in full sun as well as sharply drained? If so, I wouldn't worry about adding grit but I'd definitely add as much...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. c_knights

Canna/Agapanthus - killed by frost?

:gnthb: Yes I am really pleased Vicky, I have had them for so long I would have been broken hearted if I had lost them all..... Some of mine went very squishy too & the smell....!:help: Horrid..!! I...
    :gnthb: Yes I am really pleased Vicky, I have had them for so long I would have been broken hearted if I had lost them all..... Some of mine went very squishy too & the smell....!:help: Horrid..!! I just cleared all that away & cut them back till I found hard flesh & so far most of them are slowly...
    :gnthb: Yes I am really pleased Vicky, I have had them for so long I would have been broken hearted if I had lost them all..... Some of mine went very squishy too & the smell....!:help: Horrid..!! I just cleared all that away & cut them back till I...
    :gnthb: Yes I am really pleased Vicky, I have had them for so long I would have been broken hearted if I had lost them all..... Some of mine went very squishy too & the smell....!:help: Horrid..!! I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. garden_fiend

Banana query

The conservatory is quite tall ... but not heatedThe greenhouse is quite long ... but neither heated nor tall!
    The conservatory is quite tall ... but not heatedThe greenhouse is quite long ... but neither heated nor tall!
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Freddy

Banana

Okey dokey :thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Victoria

Strelitzia reginae

Obviously a larger plant with more flowering spikes extends the flowering season.But I would say roughly for me. one flower spike last two to three weeks, with the flowers opening in succession.
    Obviously a larger plant with more flowering spikes extends the flowering season.But I would say roughly for me. one flower spike last two to three weeks, with the flowers opening in succession.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Aesculus

Canna?

Hi folks. I just opened my 3 packs of Canna's (one in each) and found that they were starting to shoot. Until now, they've been kept in my unheated greenhouse, and now I've potted them up, that's...
    Hi folks. I just opened my 3 packs of Canna's (one in each) and found that they were starting to shoot. Until now, they've been kept in my unheated greenhouse, and now I've potted them up, that's where they'll stay for now. I'm a bit concerned that they'll grow too fast if I keep them in heat....
    Hi folks. I just opened my 3 packs of Canna's (one in each) and found that they were starting to shoot. Until now, they've been kept in my unheated greenhouse, and now I've potted them up, that's where they'll stay for now. I'm a bit concerned...
    Hi folks. I just opened my 3 packs of Canna's (one in each) and found that they were starting to shoot. Until now, they've been kept in my unheated greenhouse, and now I've potted them up, that's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Banana Man

Banana Man's July08 Hideout.....

I thought I didn't succeed. Please let meknow
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Banana Man

Banana Man's Jan 2009 Hideout Thread...

Eriobotrya japonica :flag:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. gardenlearner

tropical looking garden

Fatsia Japonica, easy, frost hardy, slowish growing, and covers a lot of ground.
    Fatsia Japonica, easy, frost hardy, slowish growing, and covers a lot of ground.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. gardenlearner

banana plant

I tried to keep ensette ventricosm - probably spelt that wrong, but a lovely purple one through last winter. It looked fantastic in the heated greenhouse all winter, but despite not over watering...
    I tried to keep ensette ventricosm - probably spelt that wrong, but a lovely purple one through last winter. It looked fantastic in the heated greenhouse all winter, but despite not over watering it, in the spring it upped its leggs and dropped dead on me!
    I tried to keep ensette ventricosm - probably spelt that wrong, but a lovely purple one through last winter. It looked fantastic in the heated greenhouse all winter, but despite not over watering it, in the spring it upped its leggs and dropped...
    I tried to keep ensette ventricosm - probably spelt that wrong, but a lovely purple one through last winter. It looked fantastic in the heated greenhouse all winter, but despite not over watering...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. FANCY

Banana tree

You can`t do anymore than that, Dee. Best of luck.:thumb::D
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. seeker of knowledge

My Canna Forest

Thank you folks for all your different answers to my problem...I think I will try leaving a few out which are in a sheltered part of the garden.. the rest will have to be packed like sardines in...
    Thank you folks for all your different answers to my problem...I think I will try leaving a few out which are in a sheltered part of the garden.. the rest will have to be packed like sardines in my conservatory...
    Thank you folks for all your different answers to my problem...I think I will try leaving a few out which are in a sheltered part of the garden.. the rest will have to be packed like sardines in my conservatory...
    Thank you folks for all your different answers to my problem...I think I will try leaving a few out which are in a sheltered part of the garden.. the rest will have to be packed like sardines in...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice