Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. mayflower

cordyline

thank you pete2255 think we will leave them on till the summer then see what it looks like if we deside to take them of will we have to use rooting powder. thanks again...
    thank you pete2255 think we will leave them on till the summer then see what it looks like if we deside to take them of will we have to use rooting powder. thanks again...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. tina

rubber plant

tina, cuttings do root but the usual method of air layering works well, although I find it a bit of a messy job. Really it is better if you can wait till spring though.
    tina, cuttings do root but the usual method of air layering works well, although I find it a bit of a messy job. Really it is better if you can wait till spring though.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. maxine

Rubber Plant

http://www.life.uiuc.edu/plantbio/102/disc/rubber.htmlhttp://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/advanced/Propagation/Airlayering.htm
    http://www.life.uiuc.edu/plantbio/102/disc/rubber.htmlhttp://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/advanced/Propagation/Airlayering.htm
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. bonnie2000

Banana plant query

thanks a lot steve,very helpful cheers :cool:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Toptaff

Tea seeds

Wahey!!! Thanks very much! Progress reports will follow!
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. roadrunner

OLEA EUROPEA (hardy olive)

On sale in nearly every gardening outlet in my area, and a few other places, seems to be 'in' at the moment. Pretty easy to grow, likes good drainage, not totally hardy, but should be OK in a...
    On sale in nearly every gardening outlet in my area, and a few other places, seems to be 'in' at the moment. Pretty easy to grow, likes good drainage, not totally hardy, but should be OK in a protected area perhaps that catches some winter sun.
    On sale in nearly every gardening outlet in my area, and a few other places, seems to be 'in' at the moment. Pretty easy to grow, likes good drainage, not totally hardy, but should be OK in a protected area perhaps that catches some winter sun.
    On sale in nearly every gardening outlet in my area, and a few other places, seems to be 'in' at the moment. Pretty easy to grow, likes good drainage, not totally hardy, but should be OK in a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Fof

Calceolaria pavoni

I am in central Cornwall and this is new to me so I googled it. It is sold by Charlie Pridham at Roseland house in Chasewater so should be OK for you. Apparently it dies down in winter so would...
    I am in central Cornwall and this is new to me so I googled it. It is sold by Charlie Pridham at Roseland house in Chasewater so should be OK for you. Apparently it dies down in winter so would avoid the worst winds. I have a shrubby calceolaria grown from a cutting, now a 2 foot high shrub...
    I am in central Cornwall and this is new to me so I googled it. It is sold by Charlie Pridham at Roseland house in Chasewater so should be OK for you. Apparently it dies down in winter so would avoid the worst winds. I have a shrubby calceolaria...
    I am in central Cornwall and this is new to me so I googled it. It is sold by Charlie Pridham at Roseland house in Chasewater so should be OK for you. Apparently it dies down in winter so would...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Nurture

Repotting Areca palm

Hi @Nurture, welcome to the forum! :)How big and old are your Arecas and when did you last re-pot them? If you tend to overwater it might be a good idea to add grit or sand into the potting...
    Hi @Nurture, welcome to the forum! :)How big and old are your Arecas and when did you last re-pot them? If you tend to overwater it might be a good idea to add grit or sand into the potting compost. Also, if the pot is too big, the compost will stay wet too long.Palms can be a bit...
    Hi @Nurture, welcome to the forum! :)How big and old are your Arecas and when did you last re-pot them? If you tend to overwater it might be a good idea to add grit or sand into the potting compost. Also, if the pot is too big, the compost will...
    Hi @Nurture, welcome to the forum! :)How big and old are your Arecas and when did you last re-pot them? If you tend to overwater it might be a good idea to add grit or sand into the potting...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Black Dog

Passiflora pollination compatibility

I think it may well pollenate the incarnata but will probably swamp it if you plant it too close. I find if you prune you tend to slow flowering.
    I think it may well pollenate the incarnata but will probably swamp it if you plant it too close. I find if you prune you tend to slow flowering.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. barryman

Cutting back Orchid

I usually cut each flower stem back to the next node, you usually get another flower stem develop from there. Doesn't matter when you do it, I do it as soon as the flowers on the stem are finished.
    I usually cut each flower stem back to the next node, you usually get another flower stem develop from there. Doesn't matter when you do it, I do it as soon as the flowers on the stem are finished.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. stumorphmac

Glorious superba

Hi i am not familar wuth this plant looked up some info that might helpGloriosa superba - How to grow & caregloriosa superba growing vine herbaceous with geophyte of the genus gloriosa also...
    Hi i am not familar wuth this plant looked up some info that might helpGloriosa superba - How to grow & caregloriosa superba growing vine herbaceous with geophyte of the genus gloriosa also known as flame lily, gloriosa superbaAlso there are some topics on the forum about this plant i...
    Hi i am not familar wuth this plant looked up some info that might helpGloriosa superba - How to grow & caregloriosa superba growing vine herbaceous with geophyte of the genus gloriosa also known as flame lily, gloriosa superbaAlso there...
    Hi i am not familar wuth this plant looked up some info that might helpGloriosa superba - How to grow & caregloriosa superba growing vine herbaceous with geophyte of the genus gloriosa also...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Elliewellie

Mature Monstera yellowing leaves

Looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't worry too much, just cut them off. Do you feed it . I find they are ok in relatively small pots. I also put another pot along side and trained the aerial...
    Looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't worry too much, just cut them off. Do you feed it . I find they are ok in relatively small pots. I also put another pot along side and trained the aerial roots into it.
    Looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't worry too much, just cut them off. Do you feed it . I find they are ok in relatively small pots. I also put another pot along side and trained the aerial roots into it.
    Looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't worry too much, just cut them off. Do you feed it . I find they are ok in relatively small pots. I also put another pot along side and trained the aerial...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. rarened

Eucalyptus in trouble

Not sure, give the bark a scrape at the bottom and see if it is still green.I'm wondering if they are dying up wards, if you get my meaning.I think these have a Limited life in pots any way.
    Not sure, give the bark a scrape at the bottom and see if it is still green.I'm wondering if they are dying up wards, if you get my meaning.I think these have a Limited life in pots any way.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Victoria

Aeschynanthus radicans

Yes looking it up it says humid, and apparently an epiphyite, a member of the gesneriace, most of which like a bit of shade.I managed to kill a columnea last summer by giving too much sun.
    Yes looking it up it says humid, and apparently an epiphyite, a member of the gesneriace, most of which like a bit of shade.I managed to kill a columnea last summer by giving too much sun.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. PhilC

Avocado pruning? a little scared to cut it.

Sorry, I don't know the answer, but my Mother grew one from a stone when I was a kid, and it grew very tall without side branches and in the end she made it into a walking stick!
    Sorry, I don't know the answer, but my Mother grew one from a stone when I was a kid, and it grew very tall without side branches and in the end she made it into a walking stick!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Kon

baccharis genistelloides

All I know about it is that it is not hardy in this country. It may just survive a light frost if it is very sheltered but prefers temperatures no lower than 5C and preferably above 10C.
    All I know about it is that it is not hardy in this country. It may just survive a light frost if it is very sheltered but prefers temperatures no lower than 5C and preferably above 10C.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. NigelJ
    Like x 4

German Grapefruit

I grew one many years ago from seed and did my usual winter covering but with no heat, it survived every winter but never fruited. Eventually I had to get rid of it due to building work.
    I grew one many years ago from seed and did my usual winter covering but with no heat, it survived every winter but never fruited. Eventually I had to get rid of it due to building work.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Black Orchid

Urgent help wanted for my Hawaiian palm!

I have read that the trunk of the "Hawaiian Palm" is like a cactus, a water reservoir. It can therefore survive for six weeks without water. Just like a real cactus it cannot stand too much water...
    I have read that the trunk of the "Hawaiian Palm" is like a cactus, a water reservoir. It can therefore survive for six weeks without water. Just like a real cactus it cannot stand too much water and the trunk can rot. Watering on average once a week. First feel the earth and if it is still...
    I have read that the trunk of the "Hawaiian Palm" is like a cactus, a water reservoir. It can therefore survive for six weeks without water. Just like a real cactus it cannot stand too much water and the trunk can rot. Watering on average once a...
    I have read that the trunk of the "Hawaiian Palm" is like a cactus, a water reservoir. It can therefore survive for six weeks without water. Just like a real cactus it cannot stand too much water...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. stephenprudence

Question regarding Citrus

Poncirus has trifoliate leaves, so is easily recognisable. I think it is quite often pretty late before citrus start to make new root, I find new top growth is very possible without new roots. I...
    Poncirus has trifoliate leaves, so is easily recognisable. I think it is quite often pretty late before citrus start to make new root, I find new top growth is very possible without new roots. I grew poncirus outside for many years and new growth was earlier than this, but if the calamondin is...
    Poncirus has trifoliate leaves, so is easily recognisable. I think it is quite often pretty late before citrus start to make new root, I find new top growth is very possible without new roots. I grew poncirus outside for many years and new...
    Poncirus has trifoliate leaves, so is easily recognisable. I think it is quite often pretty late before citrus start to make new root, I find new top growth is very possible without new roots. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Zola

Newbie Info

What is an average winter like - temp wise? And a cold winter?Trachycarpus palms should be ok Chamaerops palms Quite a few bamboo species Tree ferns (Dicksonia) - with some...
    What is an average winter like - temp wise? And a cold winter?Trachycarpus palms should be ok Chamaerops palms Quite a few bamboo species Tree ferns (Dicksonia) - with some protection/fleecing Fatsia japonia Zantedescia & KniphofiaJust off the top of my head
    What is an average winter like - temp wise? And a cold winter?Trachycarpus palms should be ok Chamaerops palms Quite a few bamboo species Tree ferns (Dicksonia) - with some protection/fleecing Fatsia japonia Zantedescia & KniphofiaJust off...
    What is an average winter like - temp wise? And a cold winter?Trachycarpus palms should be ok Chamaerops palms Quite a few bamboo species Tree ferns (Dicksonia) - with some...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice