1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. Zola

Newbie Info

What is an average winter like - temp wise? And a cold winter?Trachycarpus palms should be ok Chamaerops palms Quite a few bamboo species Tree ferns (Dicksonia) - with some...
    What is an average winter like - temp wise? And a cold winter?Trachycarpus palms should be ok Chamaerops palms Quite a few bamboo species Tree ferns (Dicksonia) - with some protection/fleecing Fatsia japonia Zantedescia & KniphofiaJust off the top of my head
    What is an average winter like - temp wise? And a cold winter?Trachycarpus palms should be ok Chamaerops palms Quite a few bamboo species Tree ferns (Dicksonia) - with some protection/fleecing Fatsia japonia Zantedescia & KniphofiaJust off...
    What is an average winter like - temp wise? And a cold winter?Trachycarpus palms should be ok Chamaerops palms Quite a few bamboo species Tree ferns (Dicksonia) - with some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. kindredspirit
    Like x 6

Yucca Linearis.

:blue thumb:Very nice indeed
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Bilbo675

Yucca aloifolia purpurea

beautiful dark foliage.
    beautiful dark foliage.
    beautiful dark foliage.
    beautiful dark foliage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. longk
    Like x 6

Winter surprises

After the recent cold snap the Echium looks as if it is toast. The Iochroma have defoliated but I'm not worried as far as their prospects go. The Nicotiana are still looking okay too. @PeterS -...
    After the recent cold snap the Echium looks as if it is toast. The Iochroma have defoliated but I'm not worried as far as their prospects go. The Nicotiana are still looking okay too. @PeterS - amazingly the Caiophora is still looking ok. I haven't forgotten, just a bit housebound with my other...
    After the recent cold snap the Echium looks as if it is toast. The Iochroma have defoliated but I'm not worried as far as their prospects go. The Nicotiana are still looking okay too. @PeterS - amazingly the Caiophora is still looking ok. I...
    After the recent cold snap the Echium looks as if it is toast. The Iochroma have defoliated but I'm not worried as far as their prospects go. The Nicotiana are still looking okay too. @PeterS -...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. John Harruison

Belfast sink arid planters.

On seeing your planters I thought you might be interested in this article ;
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Coolsox

Bilbergia nutans variegata

I had two large pots of B Nutans Var and decided to split them up last June. They had leaf damage from being put out too early and got frosted and didn't look to good, I now have about 15 small...
    I had two large pots of B Nutans Var and decided to split them up last June. They had leaf damage from being put out too early and got frosted and didn't look to good, I now have about 15 small ones in 9cm pots, some with a little root and some without. I waited till the flowers had long...
    I had two large pots of B Nutans Var and decided to split them up last June. They had leaf damage from being put out too early and got frosted and didn't look to good, I now have about 15 small ones in 9cm pots, some with a little root and some...
    I had two large pots of B Nutans Var and decided to split them up last June. They had leaf damage from being put out too early and got frosted and didn't look to good, I now have about 15 small...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Polinizator

Argyreia nervosa

I`ve never growed one as it`s a really slow grower and the roots are really invasive ....really can help ...but welcome to the forum
    I`ve never growed one as it`s a really slow grower and the roots are really invasive ....really can help ...but welcome to the forum
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. mowgley

One day!

I like it, but I can't ever see me spending 6 hours a day every day in the garden :wow:
    I like it, but I can't ever see me spending 6 hours a day every day in the garden :wow:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. sal73

Orach red

It is a bit of a bully but not so bad.. My friend grows it & this is what she says..
    It is a bit of a bully but not so bad.. My friend grows it & this is what she says..
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. miraflores

some exotic plants

Interesting Java - there are just so many plants that we ( well I) have never heard of.
    Interesting Java - there are just so many plants that we ( well I) have never heard of.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Scotkat

Floppy leaves on Phal Orchid

I'm guessing its the aerial roots that are lush and green. My guess is the roots in the pot are rotted. I've had it happen to me and its a long process getting things back to normal, if you...
    I'm guessing its the aerial roots that are lush and green. My guess is the roots in the pot are rotted. I've had it happen to me and its a long process getting things back to normal, if you can. I'd not cut back the leaves, they will die back when ready. One way I have found is to cut the...
    I'm guessing its the aerial roots that are lush and green. My guess is the roots in the pot are rotted. I've had it happen to me and its a long process getting things back to normal, if you can. I'd not cut back the leaves, they will die back...
    I'm guessing its the aerial roots that are lush and green. My guess is the roots in the pot are rotted. I've had it happen to me and its a long process getting things back to normal, if you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. rustyroots

Hellebore Niger.

Hi Rr I would leave the flowerheads on to self seed but you can cut away the old leaves from last year but leave the fresh new leaves that have grown this year. Spruce
    Hi Rr I would leave the flowerheads on to self seed but you can cut away the old leaves from last year but leave the fresh new leaves that have grown this year. Spruce
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Mark_gecko

Thai species???????

yes but can`t remember the name , seen one climber used by butterfly to clean from parasite and actually look like a dandelion but , would say much more pretty and it`s a climber plant.
    yes but can`t remember the name , seen one climber used by butterfly to clean from parasite and actually look like a dandelion but , would say much more pretty and it`s a climber plant.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Madahhlia

Dolichos lablab: hope triumphs over experience

I think I tried them once, but at the time I was trying all sorts. I certainly didn't get anything like in your picture, makes me want to try again.
    I think I tried them once, but at the time I was trying all sorts. I certainly didn't get anything like in your picture, makes me want to try again.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. stephenprudence

Justicia rizzinii

Stephen - as you had no better replies I checked my bible out. As it is apparently a winter bloomer I reckon indoors is the only option.
    Stephen - as you had no better replies I checked my bible out. As it is apparently a winter bloomer I reckon indoors is the only option.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. polypody

Desfontainia Spinosa

I had one for a few years. It eventually faded away.I think they like acid soil and good moisture, neither of which I really have.Just tried it on the chance it might do well enough with my...
    I had one for a few years. It eventually faded away.I think they like acid soil and good moisture, neither of which I really have.Just tried it on the chance it might do well enough with my rhody and a couple of camelias.
    I had one for a few years. It eventually faded away.I think they like acid soil and good moisture, neither of which I really have.Just tried it on the chance it might do well enough with my rhody and a couple of camelias.
    I had one for a few years. It eventually faded away.I think they like acid soil and good moisture, neither of which I really have.Just tried it on the chance it might do well enough with my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Bilbo675
    Like x 5

Hellebore ~ New Zealand Hybrid

Wow so beautiful and well done thankyou for sharing I love helabores.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Scotkat

Dendrobium Orchids

Depending on which Dendro species they are they may appreciate a cool spell........This is the trick for the D.kingianium in the photo below.
    Depending on which Dendro species they are they may appreciate a cool spell........This is the trick for the D.kingianium in the photo below.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. sal73

Dicksonia antartica.

Dont cut the leaves off. Keep it outside for now.I would keep in the pot and move it if a cold snap is forecast. Then plant it out in spring.For mild frosts etc put something into the...
    Dont cut the leaves off. Keep it outside for now.I would keep in the pot and move it if a cold snap is forecast. Then plant it out in spring.For mild frosts etc put something into the crown, frost fleece is ideal, but anything similar will do for short periods.Gaz
    Dont cut the leaves off. Keep it outside for now.I would keep in the pot and move it if a cold snap is forecast. Then plant it out in spring.For mild frosts etc put something into the crown, frost fleece is ideal, but anything similar...
    Dont cut the leaves off. Keep it outside for now.I would keep in the pot and move it if a cold snap is forecast. Then plant it out in spring.For mild frosts etc put something into the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Gogs

Cymbidiums Orchid

Now that is impressive - I was pleased with my seven blooms to a stem!
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice