1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. Greecko

What Vine/climber can I grow in a conservatory

Rudbeckia is just a short growing bushy perennial, or short lived perennial. Black eyed Susan is a twining climber.If you just want pot plants there are all manner of half hardy plants that...
    Rudbeckia is just a short growing bushy perennial, or short lived perennial. Black eyed Susan is a twining climber.If you just want pot plants there are all manner of half hardy plants that would be good, French and African Marigolds are really easy, a tomato plant wouldn't be out of place even.
    Rudbeckia is just a short growing bushy perennial, or short lived perennial. Black eyed Susan is a twining climber.If you just want pot plants there are all manner of half hardy plants that would be good, French and African Marigolds are really...
    Rudbeckia is just a short growing bushy perennial, or short lived perennial. Black eyed Susan is a twining climber.If you just want pot plants there are all manner of half hardy plants that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Floyd

What on earth can I do with this large Yucca ?

Will do! Thanks
    Will do! Thanks
    Will do! Thanks
    Will do! Thanks
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Nor

What is this strange growth on my trachy?

Thank you @wiseowl - I couldn't figure out how to do that :)Thanks everyone- I'm glad it's just a flower and nothing to worry about. I thought the plant has become diseased.
    Thank you @wiseowl - I couldn't figure out how to do that :)Thanks everyone- I'm glad it's just a flower and nothing to worry about. I thought the plant has become diseased.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Gilly31

What is this beautiful flower?

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. He assures me they are real. I think they are stunning
    Thank you all for your input and suggestions. He assures me they are real. I think they are stunning
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Pebo

What can I plant now.. Suggestions welcome.

Chamaerops humulis ?
    Chamaerops humulis ?
    Chamaerops humulis ?
    Chamaerops humulis ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. PeterS
    Like x 9

Wentworth Castle conservatory

I'd forgotten that it was you who started me off on that one :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. al n
    Like x 6

Went shopping today.........

I saw those Emily Mac' Croc's in DeJaggers' catalogue last week. They're a must for this year in my garden me finks!
    I saw those Emily Mac' Croc's in DeJaggers' catalogue last week. They're a must for this year in my garden me finks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. sal73

Waxed rhizoma

it`s not a soft wax , it look like candle wax really hard , I will try tmw with hot water ....I really would love to grow one , just to try how they perform in UK , it maybe will be a big failure...
    it`s not a soft wax , it look like candle wax really hard , I will try tmw with hot water ....I really would love to grow one , just to try how they perform in UK , it maybe will be a big failure or a great discovery , been searching all over internet but nothing.
    it`s not a soft wax , it look like candle wax really hard , I will try tmw with hot water ....I really would love to grow one , just to try how they perform in UK , it maybe will be a big failure or a great discovery , been searching all over...
    it`s not a soft wax , it look like candle wax really hard , I will try tmw with hot water ....I really would love to grow one , just to try how they perform in UK , it maybe will be a big failure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. kindredspirit
    Like x 9

Watch this space!

:wow::love30:...Amazing Kindred:wub2:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. strongylodon

Washingtonia

I've had success with the washing the roots off method. They separate 'fairly' easily in a large bucket of water. you'll lose some of the smaller roots and the plant will sulk for a month or two...
    I've had success with the washing the roots off method. They separate 'fairly' easily in a large bucket of water. you'll lose some of the smaller roots and the plant will sulk for a month or two after repotting, but speed of growth is better when not all grouped together. For some reason, they...
    I've had success with the washing the roots off method. They separate 'fairly' easily in a large bucket of water. you'll lose some of the smaller roots and the plant will sulk for a month or two after repotting, but speed of growth is better when...
    I've had success with the washing the roots off method. They separate 'fairly' easily in a large bucket of water. you'll lose some of the smaller roots and the plant will sulk for a month or two...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Jason85

Washington robusta

Hi @Jason85 , only just noticed your unanswered post. Its common practice for them to put three or four plants together in order to create a bushier "plant". Once grown like that, they are...
    Hi @Jason85 , only just noticed your unanswered post. Its common practice for them to put three or four plants together in order to create a bushier "plant". Once grown like that, they are difficult to separate, so best left alone.
    Hi @Jason85 , only just noticed your unanswered post. Its common practice for them to put three or four plants together in order to create a bushier "plant". Once grown like that, they are difficult to separate, so best left alone.
    Hi @Jason85 , only just noticed your unanswered post. Its common practice for them to put three or four plants together in order to create a bushier "plant". Once grown like that, they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. sal73

Wasabi

Suttons sell wasaby roots ......so no need to go to a Japanese restaurant
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. terrijane

very large yucca

I take it this is the spineless yucca (yucca elephantipies) If so your lucky to get away with it outside all year, must be your mild winters there on the south coast. You can do whatever you like...
    I take it this is the spineless yucca (yucca elephantipies) If so your lucky to get away with it outside all year, must be your mild winters there on the south coast. You can do whatever you like with it, but it seems a shame to cut the top off. I think i'd leave it and just tidy up any dead...
    I take it this is the spineless yucca (yucca elephantipies) If so your lucky to get away with it outside all year, must be your mild winters there on the south coast. You can do whatever you like with it, but it seems a shame to cut the top off....
    I take it this is the spineless yucca (yucca elephantipies) If so your lucky to get away with it outside all year, must be your mild winters there on the south coast. You can do whatever you like...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. sal73
    Like x 3

Variegated and Chimeras

Don't know if @sal73 has seen this yet Rochelle. I've tagged him for you :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Sirius

Utricularia

Very kind of you to offer, thank you. If you can get fresh seeds, try growing u. westonii (Polypompholyx). I grew these partially submerged and the bright pink flowers where amazing. The seeds...
    Very kind of you to offer, thank you. If you can get fresh seeds, try growing u. westonii (Polypompholyx). I grew these partially submerged and the bright pink flowers where amazing. The seeds need time, but are not too difficult to germinate.
    Very kind of you to offer, thank you. If you can get fresh seeds, try growing u. westonii (Polypompholyx). I grew these partially submerged and the bright pink flowers where amazing. The seeds need time, but are not too difficult to germinate.
    Very kind of you to offer, thank you. If you can get fresh seeds, try growing u. westonii (Polypompholyx). I grew these partially submerged and the bright pink flowers where amazing. The seeds...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Black Orchid

Urgent help wanted for my Hawaiian palm!

I have read that the trunk of the "Hawaiian Palm" is like a cactus, a water reservoir. It can therefore survive for six weeks without water. Just like a real cactus it cannot stand too much water...
    I have read that the trunk of the "Hawaiian Palm" is like a cactus, a water reservoir. It can therefore survive for six weeks without water. Just like a real cactus it cannot stand too much water and the trunk can rot. Watering on average once a week. First feel the earth and if it is still...
    I have read that the trunk of the "Hawaiian Palm" is like a cactus, a water reservoir. It can therefore survive for six weeks without water. Just like a real cactus it cannot stand too much water and the trunk can rot. Watering on average once a...
    I have read that the trunk of the "Hawaiian Palm" is like a cactus, a water reservoir. It can therefore survive for six weeks without water. Just like a real cactus it cannot stand too much water...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Jamiee

Unhappy Rhaphidophora Tetrasperma (Mini Monstera)

That was going to be my next suggestion. :dbgrtmb:A repot.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. cosmichamster

Trying to identify Palm and care advice

Thanks jwk, appreciate the advice. Thankfully little care, although my wife did bump the car into one!
    Thanks jwk, appreciate the advice. Thankfully little care, although my wife did bump the car into one!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. jazid

Trying to catch up with Banana Man!

Hi jazid, I had this happen to me with my photobucket account. They were concerned and tried to help, they could see my 19 pictures but I couldn't, never did find out what happened!
    Hi jazid, I had this happen to me with my photobucket account. They were concerned and tried to help, they could see my 19 pictures but I couldn't, never did find out what happened!
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. richardb

Trouble with Cannas

My Dad's got some which hadn't flowered before, he moved them to a very sunny spot in the garden last year and they flowered well - so it seems like position is important, as others have said!
    My Dad's got some which hadn't flowered before, he moved them to a very sunny spot in the garden last year and they flowered well - so it seems like position is important, as others have said!
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice