1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. Ricky Spangle

Outdoor palm tree

I use a pair of loppers on palm fronds.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. r2oo

Overwintering a banana plant?

Sihitch. The problem is in getting them back into growth without them rotting. Its the same problem you get with many different types of tuber and rhizome, such as Colocasia, Amorphophallus,...
    Sihitch. The problem is in getting them back into growth without them rotting. Its the same problem you get with many different types of tuber and rhizome, such as Colocasia, Amorphophallus, Gloriosa etc.I am not that good at it myself. But I think the key is to have them in very very slightly...
    Sihitch. The problem is in getting them back into growth without them rotting. Its the same problem you get with many different types of tuber and rhizome, such as Colocasia, Amorphophallus, Gloriosa etc.I am not that good at it myself. But I...
    Sihitch. The problem is in getting them back into growth without them rotting. Its the same problem you get with many different types of tuber and rhizome, such as Colocasia, Amorphophallus,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Dips

When can my Brug go out?

Lol that would not be wanted
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. pete

naranjilla

Sorry to drag up such an old thread, but I was doing a search as I ordered both Narajilla seeds and a young Tree tomato plant today.Pete, did the Tree tomato fruit set and ripen in one season...
    Sorry to drag up such an old thread, but I was doing a search as I ordered both Narajilla seeds and a young Tree tomato plant today.Pete, did the Tree tomato fruit set and ripen in one season or do they ripen over winter?
    Sorry to drag up such an old thread, but I was doing a search as I ordered both Narajilla seeds and a young Tree tomato plant today.Pete, did the Tree tomato fruit set and ripen in one season or do they ripen over winter?
    Sorry to drag up such an old thread, but I was doing a search as I ordered both Narajilla seeds and a young Tree tomato plant today.Pete, did the Tree tomato fruit set and ripen in one season...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. PeterS
    Like x 10

Cannas - 10 things you didn't know

Strictly speaking edible ginger, I think, is Zingiber officinale, as opposed to the ornamental gingers that are various species of Hedychium. But they are all the same family and closely related.
    Strictly speaking edible ginger, I think, is Zingiber officinale, as opposed to the ornamental gingers that are various species of Hedychium. But they are all the same family and closely related.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Black Orchid
    Like x 14

Happy to share my excitement!

How kind of you to even think so! I only started learning when I joined GC in 2006 ... I didn't even have a computer till then nor a digital camera. I have learned so much from @pete,...
    How kind of you to even think so! I only started learning when I joined GC in 2006 ... I didn't even have a computer till then nor a digital camera. I have learned so much from @pete, @strongylodon, @JWK and a few others who have left the forum. I have taken advice from those not in my...
    How kind of you to even think so! I only started learning when I joined GC in 2006 ... I didn't even have a computer till then nor a digital camera. I have learned so much from @pete, @strongylodon, @JWK and a few others who have left the...
    How kind of you to even think so! I only started learning when I joined GC in 2006 ... I didn't even have a computer till then nor a digital camera. I have learned so much from @pete,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Black Orchid

Is anybody successfully growing Acacia Dealbata?

Sorry, Caroline, If I try again to germinate Acacia Dealbata seeds, I'll do it in spring as I have too much things to do in the garden now. If you germinate some Acacia Dealbata seeds now tell me...
    Sorry, Caroline, If I try again to germinate Acacia Dealbata seeds, I'll do it in spring as I have too much things to do in the garden now. If you germinate some Acacia Dealbata seeds now tell me later about your experience, please.
    Sorry, Caroline, If I try again to germinate Acacia Dealbata seeds, I'll do it in spring as I have too much things to do in the garden now. If you germinate some Acacia Dealbata seeds now tell me later about your experience, please.
    Sorry, Caroline, If I try again to germinate Acacia Dealbata seeds, I'll do it in spring as I have too much things to do in the garden now. If you germinate some Acacia Dealbata seeds now tell me...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. longk
    Like x 5

Furcraea

After the first winter I only move mine when it gets arctic, the rest of the time they're outdoors
    After the first winter I only move mine when it gets arctic, the rest of the time they're outdoors
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. kindredspirit
    Like x 9

Watch this space!

:wow::love30:...Amazing Kindred:wub2:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. sal73
    Like x 13

Moving my garden

Excellent stuff Sal, you have the space you need to make use of all the plants.. it'll be interesting to see it when everything is grown up too :D
    Excellent stuff Sal, you have the space you need to make use of all the plants.. it'll be interesting to see it when everything is grown up too :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Ian Taylor

Australian tree fern

mine have kept all the fronds on this year so far, but getting a bit fed up of wrapping them up when I think frost is on the way , but doesn't take long to do.
    mine have kept all the fronds on this year so far, but getting a bit fed up of wrapping them up when I think frost is on the way , but doesn't take long to do.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. sal73
    Like x 3

Variegated and Chimeras

Don't know if @sal73 has seen this yet Rochelle. I've tagged him for you :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Banana Man

Banana Man's Jan 2009 Hideout Thread...

Eriobotrya japonica :flag:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. longk
    Like x 3

Puya

Have this in virtually every pot ... if it is not Oxalis, it is Jacaranda seedlings, dozens of them, one reason for hainge one cut down! :hate-shocked: :help:
    Have this in virtually every pot ... if it is not Oxalis, it is Jacaranda seedlings, dozens of them, one reason for hainge one cut down! :hate-shocked: :help:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. hydrogardener

Bougainvillea for the greenhouse

Well, the plant certainly seems to like the spot it has found in the greenhouse, as it has been flowering for weeks. I am going to let it fight it out with the cucumbers for the netting support.
    Well, the plant certainly seems to like the spot it has found in the greenhouse, as it has been flowering for weeks. I am going to let it fight it out with the cucumbers for the netting support.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Tropical_Gaz
    Like x 10

Singapore

Very nice report and little bit joules because I love to travel and swimming is my favorite hobby. I never go there but not it is in my list for my upcoming tour. I wish to swim in an infinity...
    Very nice report and little bit joules because I love to travel and swimming is my favorite hobby. I never go there but not it is in my list for my upcoming tour. I wish to swim in an infinity pool.Above Ground Pools
    Very nice report and little bit joules because I love to travel and swimming is my favorite hobby. I never go there but not it is in my list for my upcoming tour. I wish to swim in an infinity pool.Above Ground Pools
    Very nice report and little bit joules because I love to travel and swimming is my favorite hobby. I never go there but not it is in my list for my upcoming tour. I wish to swim in an infinity...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. sal73
    Like x 4

My first tropical is in

Hi Raman maan Lemon grass is used in thailand for making tea and currys , the oil is used to keep moskito away and apparently an infuse of lemon grass boiled in water is used an plants to keep...
    Hi Raman maan Lemon grass is used in thailand for making tea and currys , the oil is used to keep moskito away and apparently an infuse of lemon grass boiled in water is used an plants to keep pests away . You can buy it in any superstore like tesco or morrison , but it`s advised to get it from...
    Hi Raman maan Lemon grass is used in thailand for making tea and currys , the oil is used to keep moskito away and apparently an infuse of lemon grass boiled in water is used an plants to keep pests away . You can buy it in any superstore like...
    Hi Raman maan Lemon grass is used in thailand for making tea and currys , the oil is used to keep moskito away and apparently an infuse of lemon grass boiled in water is used an plants to keep...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Beachlover

Winter Banana

If it is decorative, then just cut it off about 6" from the ground and cover with pine straw to protect from the ice and freezing. It will come back each year. If you want to eventually get...
    If it is decorative, then just cut it off about 6" from the ground and cover with pine straw to protect from the ice and freezing. It will come back each year. If you want to eventually get bananas from it, then it really needs to be transplanted into a greenhouse or something similar for the...
    If it is decorative, then just cut it off about 6" from the ground and cover with pine straw to protect from the ice and freezing. It will come back each year. If you want to eventually get bananas from it, then it really needs to be transplanted...
    If it is decorative, then just cut it off about 6" from the ground and cover with pine straw to protect from the ice and freezing. It will come back each year. If you want to eventually get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. daz and debs

its gone bananas lol

Thanks for finding that Walnut.Its interesting, wether it would work here or not is the question. I dont think I could store them under my house, but maybe a shed would be as good. I do think...
    Thanks for finding that Walnut.Its interesting, wether it would work here or not is the question. I dont think I could store them under my house, but maybe a shed would be as good. I do think the secret of overwintering is in avoiding rot, I know many are really tender and stand no chance,...
    Thanks for finding that Walnut.Its interesting, wether it would work here or not is the question. I dont think I could store them under my house, but maybe a shed would be as good. I do think the secret of overwintering is in avoiding rot, I...
    Thanks for finding that Walnut.Its interesting, wether it would work here or not is the question. I dont think I could store them under my house, but maybe a shed would be as good. I do think...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Fof

Orchid advice. please

You need to put in on a gravel tray so that when you spray/water with rain water this will increase the humidity.
    You need to put in on a gravel tray so that when you spray/water with rain water this will increase the humidity.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice