1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

£££ Price of bird food £££

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Spruce, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    I cant get over the price of a sack of peanuts £27.00 and mixed bird food £22.00 a sack !!!

I bought sack of peanuts last year £20.00 which is still a lot people in work thought I was mad "wasting money" was one answer !!!!, but you have it in for the winter plus it was so cold I coudnt watch out of the window the poor little mites starving hungary, rather than buying a little 1lb bag and one of my bird feeders is so long it takes about 2lb to fill

Moan over I bought a couple of 1lb bags , maybe hint I want a sack of peanuts as a xmas present to be honest I think this would make a great present to somone who likes feeding and watching the birds etc .

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,018
      Is that for 25kg Spruce?

If so its closer to £32 for peanuts at my local supplier.

• gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
      +1,663
      I was tighter than that.
      A couple of years ago I bought a large bag of "Bird Food" from Wilko's for £1. I thought I'd got a bargain.

I had to go out and sweep it up. The birds refused to eat it.

They are quite happy with dried fruit, cheese, cold meat etc. - Wilko's cheapo bird food. NOT A PRAYER.

Do I have fussy birds??:scratch:

• Like Like x 1
      • Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
        Ratings:
        +502
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Cheapest place I've seen peanuts this year is B&M Bargains, 70p/Kg and that was in small bags, not sacks. B&M Stores: Stores

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,322
        Hi Pete

Yes 25k bag

Louise I will have a look at the link , thanks

Spruce

• Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
        Ratings:
        +502

No, you've not got fussy birds !
        Those general, grain based foods aren't the nicest for them, it's better to go for sunflower hearts and if you want to add Asda's 69p muesli and some suet chips you've got a brilliant allround food.

From Kennedy (link below) i've also got their Economy Wild Bird Mixed Seed, i mix that with the above chips and muesli - this i used for the ground feeders.
        For the clingers on the seed feeders i use just the sunflower hearts.

A bit of general info here now .......
        It's worth doing some reading-up on a) what birds you want to attract into your feeding area, b) what foods are needed for those particular species and c) the specific types of feeder for them, because one food and feeder does NOT do all.

• Like Like x 3
        • gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
          +1,663
          Another issue I have with Ground Feeders is "The Hoover".

Putting a generous portion out is fine initially. The Robin is usually first, followed by Spuggies and Blackbirds.
          A few other miscellaneous have a go and then:- BOOM.

The Starlings appear in Gang format. End of food!

Known as the Hoover Effect locally.

• Like Like x 1
          • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,729
            I found a group of starlings hanging stubbornly from the peanut feeder this morning. They looked very uncomfortable, but they were darned if they were going to let those pesky sparrows have a turn.

When buying peanuts for birds, it's best to buy the ones which say 'tested for toxins to human food standards'. It does mean spending more, but poor quality peanuts can mean that you are harming the birds you're trying to help.

Wilkinsons is very good for niger seed, which can be an expensive buy elsewhere. I go through a lot of it, now that the goldfinches have finally figured out where to go for a free breakfast.

• Like Like x 1
            • Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
              +342
              I paid £32.50 for a 20kg bag at The Range .

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
              +100,836
              I've been buying Buckton's Premium Wild Bird Food [20 kg] for around £16 from the local pet supermarket , but to be honest found there was a lot of wastage as the birds discarded the Sunflower hearts and larger seeds. I have had to put large containers under the feeders to catch the wastage and even putting it on the bird tables did seem to tempt any birds. I was buying a sack a fortnight.

So in the last two months I've bought Buckton's Premium Song Bird Seed which consists of just fine seeds and, I think, dessicated prunes, in a 15 kg sack at around £20. So I'm getting less weight and more expense but have found that there is now no wastage and a sack is lasting over a month. The birds are queuing up to get at the feeders now so the change has worked. I also use the fat balls which I buy from the Superstore Charlies in a 50 ball tub at £5.99P against £11 at the Garden Centres.

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
              Ratings:
              +50,918
              I am really quite surprised by this thread. Other than the fact I find the prices quite mind-boggling for simple nuts. I, like many of you, love to feed animals, be they wild or homeless .. the latter being my weakness which costs me more than a few nuts .... hundreds of Euros in fact .. but that is not the point.

The question I have is this ... in the UK are the berries and nuts not available these days to birds and other wildlife? I honestly ask this with all sincerity as I have been gone for more than 10 years now ...

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
              +100,836
              I've got several shrubs grown specifically for their berries and attractiveness to the birds, Victoria, but even before I started feeding the birds they would only feed off them during the really bad times and there are times in late Winter when the shrubs were stripped. By feeding the birds I'm obviously attracting more birds into my garden and hopefully helping make life a bit more easier for them.:D

• Like Like x 5
              • Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
                Ratings:
                +502
                It's undoubtably a growing industry, this thread bears that out well.

The berries around here aren't usually eaten in large degrees (that's what got me started a while ago) and i just wonder what with all the construction of new homes taking place in urban areas, like mine, whether there is actually a decent supply and variety of natural foods for them.

I visit someone, regularly, who's just sold hundreds of acres of fields to a developer.
                Dozens of fields have been bulldozed, all signs of plantlife demolished and little boxes are popping up all over the area ...... this really concerns me and because of that i will always encourage folks to feed the wildlife - certainly in urban areas.
                Rural areas that are in their natural state shouldn't need extravagant feeding regimes such as mine :WINK1:

• Like Like x 2
                • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +3,318