¿ Begonia Pinching or Pruning ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Apr 29, 2012.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I grow trailing begonias from tubers. I have never pinched them out , as they seem to grow fine without any help from little old me.
    But I have a B.Illumination that is already 15" tall and looks very leggy. It has grown about 12 stems , and each stem branches in 4 places . Could I prune back to say the second branch on all the stems to bush it up ? :scratch:

TIA

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,318
    Hi H

What I would do is not cut them all but reduce 6 of them evenly across the basket , I supose a bit like the "Chelses chop " and pinch out the other 6 , they are doing well are you keeping them xtra warm ? even in this weather I have one window open only about 2 inches just to change the air in the greenhouse (not today)

T&M rang me today thats a 1st and they are sending replacments (crackling fire mixed) but dont know when !!! somtime in May !!! very sorry on the phone .

Plus meant to be all jumbo plugs and only 3 out of the 9 where !!

Talk about late baskets I normaly put out 2nd week of May but I coudnt see that happening with the weather outside anyway the house is getting battered with rain and wind as I type

I can see bargains galore in B&Q soon at this rate

Spruce

3. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Thanks Spruce , I chopped them all down to the second branch . I rembered having one like this a few years ago it just grew very lanky and flowered poorley - as if the tuber had lost its ooomph .
    Good news you are getting replacements from T and M , mine arrived Thursday . 6 very good crackling fire plugs and 3 pathetic little ones . I think one is dieing now !
    Like you I think the season is running late , I would be planting up my baskets around now , but will leave it for another 2 weeks . Its back to 3°c Friday night here !!

• Like Like x 1