1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

1 Big Tomato

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by saint_david, Jun 19, 2010.

1. saint_david

saint_david Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I'm a first time gardener and I've recently bought a small greenhouse.

Amongst other things I've got a few different types of tomato plants which all seem to be doing well. One tomato plant (red alert) started to develop a tomato long before any of the other flowers even looked like turning - in fact the flowers just seemed to die and go dormant with no signs of any fruit appearing. In the meantime this single tomato has got bigger and bigger and I'm wondering if its sucking up all the nutrients meant for the other potential tomatos on the same plant, could this be the case? It's still green but looks a lot bigger than I think red alert tomatos usually end up.

As the plants gotten more mature there does seem to be other fruit appearing but should I take the big one off to give them a better chance or should I leave it ripen up? I know its only one tomato but I'm just curious if my theory is correct! TIA :)

2. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Hi David and welcome to GC. enjoy your stay.
    As far as your monster tom goes. I would suggest leave it.

There one thing I have learned in the few years I have been growing toms and that is to wait and see. Nature has a way of putting things right.

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good evening and welcome to the site,why the saint david username?:( Leave the tom alone and see what happens with it.:gnthb:

4. saint_david

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses! I'll leave it grow and see what happens as advised :)

Dai, I'm from South Wales so it's a nod to the patron saint of where I live (although I'm not Welsh). With a name like Dai I'm guessing you're from Wales too??? :thumb:

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Your forgiven then, Dewi.:cool: I am in Cwmbran.:gnthb::old:

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Bore Da Saint David, Croeso y Gardeners corner. I'm from Somerset :lollol:

7. saint_david

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers ziggy, all my family are from Somerset!

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You need to come home from Cymru then, when i started work in a slate quarry in north wales/gogledd cymru they told me i would have to learn welsh if i wanted to stay working there. It turned out that they wanted someone that could spell in either language because they couldn't spell in Welsh or English.

Years later, I went to Newport to pick up my passport & went into a newsagents to buy some fags, i asked for them in welsh ( being in wales ) the little girl behind the counter didn't have a clue what i'd said. So it's one law for the English in north wales ( sais bastads) and another for the welsh in south wales.(they dont have to speak their own language there, but you do)

9. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi saint david. It sounds like your toms aren't pollinating. A couple of things that might help are, make sure the g/house atmosphere isn't too dry and give the plants a little shake (around mid-day if possible) to aid pollination.

Cheers...freddy.

10. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Welcome to the forum David (saint or not.)
    I'm at odds with the others here. I think there is something in what you say about the big tomato and the others not growing.
    Chillies certainly work that way. Sometimes you get a big King Chillie and the others don't grow until you remove the King.
    I think seals are the same. You get a big beach master and the other males have no chance.
    I would take that tomato off and see what happens to the rest - we are talking about 1 tomato !
    Good luck and hope you get a great crop.

11. saint_david

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for all the advice. Alice, would that also apply to pepper plants? As it happens I've got a pepper plant in the same greenhouse with only 1 large fruit on it while the flowers around it seem to be going nowhere.

Come to think of it I've got a chilli doing something similar too!!!

12. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    The same thing happens to cucumbers, the first fruit saps all the vigour from the plant and it can take weeks for the plant to recover and produce any more, for that reason it pays to nip off the first fruit. Must admit I've never heard of this on tomatoes though. I would go with Alice's advice, nip it off and see what happens. I think you won't lose out in the long run, in my experience the first tomato fruits are never as nice tasting as the following crop - I always think it's because the first one takes that much longer to mature.

13. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yes David, I would take the chilli and the pepper off.

If your other chilli flowers are not setting fruit they might be too hot and the flowers are getting fried. You could try putting them in a bit of shade til the fruits are formed. And they do like a mist over with water.

14. Fretters

Fretters Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to butt in, but would that go for Courgettes too ? I've got a yellow courgette with about 20 small courgettes on but they don't seem to be getting any bigger ! The first one appeared about 2 weeks ago and I've just been waiting for it to get big enough to eat but it's not ! Shall I nip it off do you think ?

15. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    Make sure you feed them Fretters.