10,000 square feet of sweat, blood and happiness

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by SimonW, Apr 21, 2014.

1. SimonW

SimonW Gardener

Ratings:
    +105
    I have started a few threads for advice but thought it would be a good idea to start a project page for my garden.

We moved into our house just over 18 months ago and the garden was one of the reasons for the move. We are lucky to have a pretty much flat 125 foot long by 85 foot wide garden. There is a path which goes round the garden leaving about 12-18ft to the walls which surround the large lawn in the centre.

Here is an overhead shots of the garden. It was a good deal more grown over when we took the plot over.

[​IMG]

Since moving in we have cultivated a good size perennial bed near the house on the right and a good sized veg patch The soil appears to be excellent in the Veg Patch and pretty good in the area nearest the house. I am almost on first name terms with the guys at the recycling centre as I have taken down two huge Holly bushes and a number of other shrubs not to mention loads of grass cuttings and weeds galore.

An enclosure for our 6 chickens has been put up and a large woodshed built. The bees have survived their first winter and he are hoping for a good supply of honey this year. I have been hopeless at taking photos but this thread should keep me focused on recording progress.

Here was how it looked when we moved in (September 2012 and then again at the tail end of last summer. Wood shed top right and chickens bottom right. Veg patch running up left side. Compost heap top left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since then the perennial bed has had a few fruit trees put in and it is starting to mature quite well. The path is looking good and we added a nice seat with a trellis for a Jasmine which all sits under a stunning Lilac Tree. Still lots of empty spaces but good progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The veg patch patch did well last year but we are hoping to do better this year with the addition of a Polytunnel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have planted around 10 trees and also lots of berries and currants too. I love not giving my hard earned to Tescos

[​IMG]

I will try to keep the thread up to date with some changes. Thanks for all the advice and the threads full of information. It really does help greatly for someone like me who is new to gardening.

• Like Like x 14
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,618
      Great progress Simon, those nice brick walls look to provide great shelter.

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      What great space you have there Simon:thumbsup: looking forward to seeing it grow:dbgrtmb:

• SimonW

SimonW Gardener

Ratings:
      +105
      A few more shots from today. Jobs completed were covering the shed in felt, planting another 9 strawberries in the raised beds made last week and also planting a pear tree, the 9th fruit tree planted in the last 4 months. Also planted a row of Main Crop Tatties and set out some that I bought yesterday for chitting. The first day of recording temperatures in the Polytunnel saw a high of 33 and low of 9 degrees Celsius.

I am wanting to change the garage into a garden room so have started using all the timber I have gathered over the last year or so. Gumtree is a wonderful site for freebies if you are willing to put some work in.

A shed for my lawnmower and cement mixer built last week with a bit of paving that has just been laid on soil.
      [​IMG]

A little raised bed for my blueberries built at the start of the month. Never had any luck with my last two bushes in the old garden so fingers crossed.
      [​IMG]

The berry bed. This had 10 summer and 10 autumn raspberry canes, 2 blackberries and a red and black currant bush planted in the last month or so. All appear to be doing really well so will have to hurry up and build something to support and protect them.

[​IMG]

And finally some of the other producers in the gardens. Both are my wife's hobby but I could easily get into beekeeping. Fascinating creatures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
      • SimonW

SimonW Gardener

Ratings:
        +105
        I am determined to do something in the garden every day to really make some progress this year. It never started well tonight as I couldn't find the seeds I bought earlier this month. Eventually, my wife found them and I started preparing the ground for a row of carrots and radishes. My lad gave me a hand so a very enjoyable couple of hours or so.

[​IMG]

I have bought some trays for propagating so that will be my next task. Hopefully, the Polytunnel will now be warmed enough to get the seeds off and running. Gardening is a very daunting hobby when you have no experience or knowledge. That only makes the successes even sweeter though.

• Like Like x 4
        • SimonW

SimonW Gardener

Ratings:
          +105
          A few plants bought in the last few days as well as a PH tester. The soil is neutral from what I can tell but will do another few tests in different areas. I have filled some seed trays with perennials and bought plug plants for the veg plot and Polytunnel. Radish, Cabbage, 2 Peas, Runner Beans, Chili, Peppers, chard, and a few others. The tunnel was at its coldest so far last night 6 degrees but very quickly heats up and seems to stay mid teens with 4 or 5 vents open.

Todays main job was to build a bit of staging for the tunnel. I'm quite pleased with it as it helped tidy up lots of scrap wood and I only spent £15 on some fence slats.
          [​IMG]

An attic view of the garden today. Cherry tree looking good on the bottom wall
          [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
          • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
            Ratings:
            +31,017
            All so absolutely delightful Simon. For a "newbie" gardener, I am in awe of your achievements to date. Thank you so much for updating this today - only just found this thread.
            Wishing you continued success in the coming growing seasons,
            Jenny namaste

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
            Ratings:
            +28,240
            As you say a lot of work put in, we hope to see the results of your efforts later, sucesses and if any, failures (just as important). An interesting thread.:dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb:

• SimonW

SimonW Gardener

Ratings:
            +105
            Thanks all. I am new to the gardening but quite like knocking things up from wood and bricks etc. The internet and this forum are brilliant for learning about what to do. Seeds are cheap and the plugs don't cost too much so it is cheap enough to give it a go. I love my fishing and you can lose a £3 worth of kit every time you get snagged on the bottom. Gardening is very much like fishing in my opinion. Patience and planning are very important and if you get it right you can have a bite to eat and a lot of fun. Finished the day trying to service the Renault. Cars are a pain, particularly French ones. Stressed up to the eyeballs after 30 mins as nuts were all rusted and I didn't have the right socket to drain the sump. I never feel stressed fishing or gardening even if the going gets tough.

• Like Like x 3
            • SimonW

SimonW Gardener

Ratings:
              +105
              A very productive day in the garden today. We avoided the rain nicely and it was lovely working conditions. Mid teens and overcast.

First job plant some seeds in trays with the wife and kids giving a helping hand. Broccoli, Red Hot Pokers, Leeks, Turnips, Sunflowers, Cucamelon, Spring Onions, Peppers, Tomatoes all put in seed trays. Fingers crossed they germinate. Poly tunnel is between about 9 and 25 degrees over the course of a day. I open about 6 vents in the morning which keeps it around the high teens most of the day.
              [​IMG]

Next up I planted another row of tatties

[​IMG]

The wife was busy planting some Spring Onions and Garlic. After planted we both laid a quick pathway

[​IMG]

Whilst digging the path we came across these bones. We grew tatties in this spot last year and I can't believe we would have missed them so I presume they have been buried by something.

[​IMG]

A well deserved seat for my better half with the cracking table she made.

[​IMG]

After a poor start to the afternoon watching my team get beaten by their nearest rivals it was nice to get the smile back on my face and get loads of work done. The kids, particularly my eldest like the planting but the draw of the trampoline does catch their attention after a wee while.

• Like Like x 3
              • Creative Creative x 1
              • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
                Ratings:
                +14,123
                My you have a smashing garden there, lucky you.. You have worked hard and it shows, this year will be better than last I am sure.. I love the bench and table too... :smile:
                I have a poly tunnel I am sure you will be very pleased.. I think they are a bit like a greenhouse... You think you have loads of room.. Next thing you know they are full...! :heehee: Great fun, good Karma, lovely crops and a place of solace for me.. Enjoy and do keep us up to date

• SimonW

SimonW Gardener

Ratings:
                +105
                Thanks Marley. Yours and Steve's threads in the Polytunnel Forum are the reason there is one in my garden now.

• Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • nFrost

nFrost Head Gardener

Leachate Treatment Plant Manager
                  Ratings:
                  +2,908
                  I'd love a garden that big! Well done on the work.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +45,618
                  It's coming on great Simon, and it's lovely to see you in your polytunnel. It's difficult to guess what those bones are from, I've found half buried rabbits in my potato patch in the past, left there by a fox I think, not very nice finding them.

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
                  +12,318
                  I like the beehive and chickens