10ft runner beans!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by minxycat2002, Jun 17, 2008.

1. minxycat2002

minxycat2002 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    being a bit dim here but do i pick off the tops to stop them from growing anyhigher or should i just train them to go down the next cane?

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    pinch the tops off ,iit will make them bushier and you should soon see flowers, wish mine were as good theyve gone yellow

3. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi minxy. As Pam says, pinch them out at the top of the canes. Cheers...freddy.

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I`ve only been growing veg for thirty odd years. I`ve never pinched them out. When they get to the top of the cane, they will then start to hang down, which is not a problem. So, leave them be, Minxy.:thumb::D

5. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with daitheplant. I have occasionally pinched out but it does not seem to make any difference. If you leave them the beanstalks will grow sideways or hang down and eventually get bored and stop getting longer. The most important thing is to keep picking as soon as the beans are ready: if you pick regularly the plant will continue to flower: once you leave the beans to mature it will put all its energy into developing the seed pods (which is worth doing near the end of the season to give you seed for next year!).

6. minxycat2002

minxycat2002 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thankyou for your advice, hubby pinched the tops off as they were starting to cling to the tiles on the top of our end room lol will leave them be next time if its not a problem.

they are flowering well to :)

7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    "I`ve only been growing veg for thirty odd years"

Here we go lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    [​IMG] Heh,heh:D:thumb:

9. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,311
    Dave, Only thirty years? :) So you've nearly finished your apprenticeship! :thumb: :D

Minxy, the only reason you need to pinch them out is that it becomes awkward to pick the beans if you have to stretch up for them. Also if you are in a windy area the weight at the top of the poles could break the poles when the wind catches the upper growth. :eek:

It also depends on how much room you have. If you have lots of room you can grow more plants and keep them lower for easier picking. I make my picking even easier by crossing the canes at waist height. The beans then hang down on the outside of the canes and I don't need to search for them in the middle. This method also helps in windy areas as the top of each cane is independent and will move freely in the wind.

Whichever method you use, just remember to water occasionally but heavily rather than frequently and lightly. If you water lightly the roots will only stay near the surface and not get as much nutrients out of the soil.

Good luck :)

10. minxycat2002

minxycat2002 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Great advice thankyou.
    I have mine in large square pots (2 to a pot) and have tied the canes in like a teepee shape, they are against the house so that they are a bit more sheilded from the wind.
    Last year was a nightmare, i had 8 plants in small rounded pots and didnt put enuff canes in they were forever being blown over, supprised i got even got a good supply of beans off them the amount of time we had to keep rescueing them.
    This is only my second year of growing veggies, altho i havn't planted as much this year due to another addition to the family which kept me off my feet, :D
    The only green fingers i had before was nagging hubby to get the lawnmowwer out and yelling hed missed a bit:p.
    Having great fun with it and my children are really enjoying planting there own bits and bobs in pots to.
    thanks kat

11. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,311
    If you are growing them in pots it is best not to let them get too tall unless you can anchor the top of the poles.

Otherwise, even with a medium wind they may topple over. It's the centre of gravity problem. Like if you have too much to drink and stand up - you may fall over! :D :D

12. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,647
    10 ft runner beans already! :jealous:

I'm feeling inadequate - mine are only 1ft :o

13. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I always think that runners are much underated for their decorative qualities (I believe that they were originally imported for their flowers). I have grown them all over my various gardens: up fences, over pergolas and in pots with wigwams (though I appreciate the stability problem - a big brick in the bottom of the pot helps, but a high wind can still cause havoc). You get an attractive display of greenery and flowers and the added bonus of being able to eat the produce

14. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    You sure their not dwarf beans:D I once erected an 8foot tepee with canes to grow sweet peas up...didn't read the packet...they were dwarf...my next door neighbour never did let me live it down.;)

15. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,647
    :):)

Anything is possible so I just checked the packet, it's a variety called Polestar which I think is just a normal runner, although it's new to me.

I planted them out on 18th May but they have hardly grown since then, we just need a bit of nice sunshine and they will be off :fingers crossed: