2 Problems for ID and Advice

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Sep 29, 2018.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    A couple of problems on my plants I would like ID and advice on.
    Below is a clematis , I have cut this back and re potted it twice (potted deep ). The new growth was very very healthy. Then the leaves start to die back as photo . Am I correct in stating this is clematis wilt ?
    DSC_0187.JPG DSC_0188.JPG

Second is my Chilli plant. Lots of white flecks on them like pollen or eggs ? Leaves and fruit are not effected. I can't see any insect like movement . What is it ?
    TIA
    DSC_0190.JPG DSC_0191.JPG

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  2. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    It’s not clematis wilt. Clematis’ naturally die back this time of year. You’ll need to find out the variety to know the best pruning regime. When did it flower?

Re the chilli: usually chillis are treated as annuals although they can be kept for a second year. Don’t know what the spots are but unless you are planning on overwintering it, I wouldn’t worry too much.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,360
      White flecks on the Chilli look like aphid skins to me, are the plants sticky?

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        It's C. Red Pearl Group 3 . It has been a really good flower since 2009. This year it produced 6 flowers and died back as it is now. I'll keep it over winter and see how it goes after cutting back next February.
        That's it Pete the plant is very sticky , but no sign of damage . So it must be Aphid skins :blue thumb:
        I don't keep chilli plants over winter.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,360
        I bet there atleast a few aphids on there somewhere clustered around the growing point?
        You should try keeping them a second year, if only one plant, they crop much earlier and better the second year.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +117,298
          I agree with Pete. They look like aphid casts. Some of them may have the slight shape of the aphid.

If you're able to, take them out of the greenhouse and give them a wash down. Then have a close look at the growing tips and around the flowers. You may be able to see the whitefly on them and you can wipe them off. This won't stop them as there are bound to be some of the little ... waiting in the greenhouse for you to bring the plants back in, but it will cramp their style a bit.

If you try to overwinter a plant you will need to keep an eye on it. Wipe any whitefly off and change the top 1" of compost - a good thing to do anyway. Then water from the bottom as it will also help keep the fungus gnats away.

• Like Like x 1