2 Questions!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by kriss, Mar 17, 2019.

1. kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
    +79
    D2A6DECB-6A7B-4684-AC73-0AFC3EABE9DE.jpeg 2812B6C3-425B-4C8B-B300-3383D5172DD7.jpeg In late autumn I cut two plants down to the ground, but was I correct to do this?

Echinacea Pow Pow and Aster Frikartii monch!

Both showing signs of surfacing but did I cut them back too hard? They were plug plants bough from eBay and did well last summer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,318
      Look fine to me ... I would tidy up the compost and take out the weeds .... this also stops the slugs from having a hiding place ... so loosen up the top of the compost and maybe put some fresh on the top

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
        +609
        Sometimes we can underestimate plants how well they will do even when one cuts them back even to ground don.t worry they will grow, but as spruce mentioned clear the weeds ,turn over the compost .and put some fresh compost on top and in few weeks you see the difference

• KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,890
        Hi @kriss , I would have left them a little longer yet. The old branches etc on the crown offer protection from the wind and frost.

• kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
        +79
        So next year, maybe just cut back after winter? Luckily all of these plants are showing signs of coming back?