25th Wedding Anniversary Travel Destination Ideas

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by intel, Aug 6, 2014.

1. intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
    +497
    We have our 25th wedding anniversary coming up at the end of September, but we
    still cant choose where to go, we have looked at Rio, Bali, Vietnam, India, Maldives and many
    others but still cant choose.

Does anyone have any ideas please, Mrs Intel likes it warm, nice pool, beach, and site seeing
    me....I do mind, but it's not everyday you celebrate your 25th so I want book somewhere
    special, but time is running out :(

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Maldives is good for couples. No children, nothing whatsoever to do except relax and enjoy the view, paddle in the lagoon, and go out snorkling / diving - assuming you choose an island that is a decent distance from the capital. You get there by small seaplane, so best avoided if you will hate being tossed around the air like a cork on the sea!

I loved Bali, but its a heck of a long time ago and some folk that I know who have been more recently said "too touristy" ... I went with a Backpack on US$10-a-day aged 20 so saw it from a different perspective :)

We went to Tanzania on safari for our 25th, to two camps off the beaten track (one of them way way off! and on game drives we only saw the other couple of couples who were staying in the same lodge). Happy to recommend them, but sounds like you would prefer to narrow your choices, rather than widen them! We've done African safari a few times, and for us that is the one that we could do every year and still get a buzz out of. There is beach that you can do too - either Tanzania or Zanzibar (although we found Zanzibar just typical of all inclusive beach resorts, and below our expectations; although there is siteseeing there too - where the Brits still conducted slavery sales after slavery had, to all intents and purposes, been abolished; depressing, but yet fascinating and the locals clearly see it as part of their history)

I would say Kenya too, as we have loved the game in the Masai Mara but the coast [Mombassa] is not without risk at present ... Masai Mara stretches into Tanzania too, but for example the Ngorongoro crater is now very touristy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Maldives:

IMG_1527_Bus.jpg
      Taxi :)

IMG_1544_ViewFromBus.jpg
      View from the taxi :)

IMG_1400_Jetty.jpg
      Jetty

IMG_1408-15_TheBar.jpg
      The bar :)

IMG_1380-2_ChezNous.jpg
      Chez Nous

IMG_1461_ViewFromHut.jpg
      View from back of our hut, across the lagoon

PC210038_Snorkling.jpg
      Snorkling

IMG_1491_Bedtime.jpg
      Housekeeping :)

• Like Like x 4
      • intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
        +497
        Thanks for the reply Kristen, we went to Bali in 98 and our Daughter is out there now doing
        volunteer work as she is a English Teacher and she is loving it there.

Has anyone been Rio please, the only off-putting thing is that we like to spend a day on the beach, then a day by the pool and then a day sight seeing, it just breaks it up a bit, problem is that the pools are on the hotel roof tops (as your in a city) its somewhere to cool off but not to spend the day there.

The other appealing place is South Africa, I have been there twice now with work , but September is only Spring time there and can be cold in the evenings

Goa is also appealing but its the wrong time of year to go there and the same with Sri Lanka, we have already been to Cebu Philippines and also Thailand but I will say that Vietnam looks
        very nice and maybe also be on the short list as well :)

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,508
        I think @shiney has been there?

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +117,292
          I've been to all the places you mention, in recent years, (and lots more) but most of the time we're not doing the relaxing bit but doing a lot of travelling and sightseeing (I don't sit on beaches or by the pool). I was in Rio a few months back and put up a thread in "Shineys' Travels". Here's a link to it
          http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/brazil-a-country-of-contrast.61319/

At the top of that is a link to the main index of what I have posted so far - lots of countries to do but not enough time in summer to do it.

I think your best bet is to speak to a good travel agent who knows a lot about the places you want to go to. I could give you the name of the company that have been listed the top travel agent in the Which? Travel magazine for the last few years. They have got a rating of 97% satisfaction :blue thumb:.

All their staff are very knowledgeable and if the one you're talking to feels they don't know sufficient about the place you're interested in, they'll pass you to someone who does. So you're likely to be able to speak to someone who has actually been to the hotel you're interested in or has had a personal report from their client. Even when I've done all the research myself I will still, usually, book through them (they've got ATOL, ABTA etc. They even phone us up a week after arriving home to check everything was OK and ask for feedback.

I'm always happy to answer questions, if I'm able, but what we like to do may not be what you would like. I've been travelling for over fifty years (written some travel guides - not in print now!) but have always preferred to see the way people live and the historical sites.

Have you thought about Hawaii? The name covers a number of islands and the main island, Big Island is actually known as Hawaii. The other islands have their own names.

Big Island has beaches, resorts, towns, open country, a dry side with lots of good hotels and the main town of Kona (where the coffee comes from), a wetter tropical side and the main town of Hilo (botanical gardens etc.) and the Volcano National Park with active and extinct volcanoes that are a must to visit.

The island of Kauai is a lovely island. It's the oldest (geologically) and very unspoilt - but still has lots of holiday venues. They also use it a lot for the setting for films. They've used it for well over forty famous films from 'South Pacific' to 'Jurassic Park' and 'Pirates of the Caribbean' (also 'Donovan's Reef' - which I enjoyed). Another island that's very easy to drive around. Waimea Canyon is not to be missed. It's a small version of the Grand Canyon but in technicolour. Poipu Beach on the south of the island is a good choice but so are most of the other beaches.

Oahu (the capital island) has Waikiki Beach which is crowded and overrated - other beaches are OK. Not my favourite island.

Maui is a favourite holiday destination but I would guess that it has changed considerably since we were last there (I may be wrong).

Depending on the amount of time, and the depth of your pocket, you could have a few days stopover at San Francisco on the way. Busy San Francisco and a more peaceful Kauai would be a good combination.

• Like Like x 2