1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

30 years ago today - we shall never forget

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,493
    30 years ago today, flight Pan Am 103 was blown out of the sky by a terrorist bomb, with the wreckage landing on the town of Lockerbie.

I was a lad when this happened (12 years old) and at the time when it happened, I was in my local paper shop in Dumfries, and we heard the rumble - we commented at the time that it was strange to have thunder at the time of year, not realising what had actually happened.

Soon after, at home, I saw the captions start on the TV calling in all medical staff to the local hospital, and calling all fire service staff into the fire station, and knew something big had happened. Then the news started to come through. At first, it was the rumours amongst neighbours - a petrol station had blown up being the main one. Then the truth started to filter through, and we watched absolutely horrified as the details of the Lockerbie Disaster filtered through.

Over the years later, I met and knew many people who were affected by the events, and actually lived with one (by then) ex-fireman for a short time; he was so badly affected by the things that he had seen, he was an alcoholic and the drink was his way of blotting it all out.

The people of Lockerbie did what they would always do, and would do to this day - they opened their hearts and their homes to relatives of the passengers, and to the emergency service staff amongst others; and those people of Lockerbie should hold their heads high today, albeit with deep sadness at the same time.

Let us never forget.

'The wall of flames was shocking, the devastation incredible': firefighter remembers Lockerbie | Daily Mail Online

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Well said @Fat Controller. The mother of someone my husband worked with was killed. Quite ghastly. When driving past Lockerbie on the M74 I always feel very sad.

• Friendly Friendly x 6
      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +31,859
        I try not to think about it, because i was a sleep in the lorry about 5-10 miles away, still remember the noise

Feel very sorry for them that lost their lives

• Friendly Friendly x 3