1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

72 mini plugs arrived today, I am feeling overwhelmed!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Fflur, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Morning Mervyn....and anyone else up and about :)

I buy plants online all the time....have a couple arriving tomorrow. I do so because I cannot get them elsewhere but also find them far better value than local GC's. I now have excellent suppliers, usually they are the growers themselves, I can rely on to provide excellent plants and service
    Yes, complain strongly but politely. I have always had satisfaction in the end:) i dont buy assortments of plants or go in for annuals generally but the principle is the same, viz., ....."fit for purpose". Online or on the high street expect and demand your consumer rights

2. Mervyn Wilmington

Mervyn Wilmington Experienced Gardener

Ratings:
    +37
    I do something similar. I like to praise when things are right, but make points when they are not. I would rarely get 'nasty'. I got a £5 voucher for the 72 plants I received recently. At least 60 are going to make it ok. I take the view that with the smallest plugs there is always likely to be a small loss.

I bought quite a few hardy fuchsias online a month or so ago. They have developed into fine plants - now in decent pots, and will be planted in the garden in the next week or two. I had no losses.

3. Verdun

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Sounds excellent Mervyn :)
    I recently received a couple of plants online. The grower rang to say he may have to cut off some of the flowers to post. However, they arrived in 6' box totally unharmed and perfect. I rang to say thanks. I always email to thank when service has been good and I think it makes both me and the supplier feel good :)
    As you said Mervyn, "praise when things are right" :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
      +37
      I don't know whether it is protocol, but can you say who the grower was? It is always useful to know people who behave well!

• Verdun

Ratings:
      +17,487
      No problem Mervyn....there used to be a thread about good online suppliers :)

In this case it is Hillview Hardy Plants. Excellent plants, prompt careful packing and delivery and a superb range of unusual perennials :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
        +37
        They sound to be really committed people, and have a large catalogue. I was slightly amused to see that they include Hostas in their rabbit proof category. The ones in my garden are certainly not rabbit proof. I've been waging war for about 5 years. In the past, my hostas, a main feature of the garden, have been decimated. I have quite a good air rifle, but trying to spot rabbits in a very 'intense' garden is not easy. A couple of years ago, I started to trap them and then shoot! Not exactly sporting, but there's nothing sporting in plants being ravaged.

I trapped/shot only four last year. No hosta damage. This year I haven't even seen one. The general rabbit population is well down, but there are a few about.

The traps will go down again in early spring next year.

• Like Like x 1
        • Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Here the rabbit population does seem to have reduced this past year. Not sure why. Dont see evidence of myxomatosis (horrible man made disease)
          I like Hillview for their range of unusual plants......I have some unusual baptisias, for example, from them; Decadence Dutch Chocolate and Meringue :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
            +37
            Yes, although you don't see them lying around dead, there had been a major decline in numbers.
            In the mid 1950s, I was on holiday with my parents in upper Wensleydale - in fact around 20 miles from where I now live - when the fields were littered with dead and dying rabbits. Myxomatosis was a dreadful disease in terms of the stress and suffering it caused to rabbits. At least, when I shoot them, the end is quick.

• Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
            +37
            An update. At least 60 of the 72 will thrive, and I have hope for a few of the other 12. This incredibly hot weather is hardly the best for bringing-on young plants!

• Verdun

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Well, sounds good value then Mervyn :)