A bit of a long shot

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by stephenprudence, Jan 31, 2013.

1. stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
    Ratings:
    +2,368
    I apologise for another question on "does anyone know this".

The plant in question is Collomia coccinea 'Neon'. I've never heard of this plant before today, let alone seen it. I brought seeds of this plant, but upon searching on the internet, there is no information whatsoever about this plant, and very few photos of the plant in growth.

It does seem like it's a bit of a rarity from Chile.

I don't even know its hardiness or anything like that!

Anyone know anything about this.

2. Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
    Ratings:
    +568
    Whenever I've seen a television 'personality' on a freeby to Chile, they make sure they explain that they are'nt really having a good time due to the cold nights, I should think your plant will be able to withstand a moderate level of cold.

Cheers, Tony.

3. theruralgardener

theruralgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +149
    Not sure about the variety, 'Neon', but Collomea coccinea is allowed to seed about in a large section of a long mixed border where I work. It is a hardy annual, self seeds every year and grows to about 12 - 15". We hoe or pull the seedlings we don't want. Flowers from mid summer and then we just pull out the dead plants after seeding, either back end or in Spring. Whenever the cutting back and tidying of the border gets done.
    Typical, I don't seem to have a photo with any in it. Neon will probably be a flashier flower colour? I reckon you'll just sow it as a hardy annual in a seed bed. Or you could sow indoors and prick out into trays or individually in modules or pots and plant out late Spring. Perhaps these won't come true from seed for next year.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
      Ratings:
      +2,368
      Thanks Julie, you're right it's a flashier version it has a carmine pink colour.. I'm not sure how they arrived at that, but I'll be sure to let you know whether they come true from seed.. perhaps they will just revert to their natural colour if they seed.

Tony, there are few Chilean plants that don't tolerate much frost.. lapageria rosea for example.. but Chilean plants are some of the most vibrant in the world for sure.

• Like Like x 1