1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A couple of issues with one of my Buddleia davidii

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Nikolaos, Jun 5, 2022.

1. Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,288
    Hi All,

Several leaves at the bottom of one of my buddleias seem to be covered with a sticky, shiny substance. Anything to worry about? Also getting a few discoloured ones, slightly different shade of green on parts of the leaves. I seem to vaguely remember the discolouration from quite a few years ago, looked into it and found out it wasn't a big problem from what I recall, correct? Mullein moth caterpillars on it, are these issues anything associated with these? :dunno:

Sorry I can't provide any photos of either ATM, having a problem with my camera!

Thanks,

Nick

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,629
    The shiny stuff on the leaves is probably honey dew.
    Aphids are the usual problem on the undersides of the leaves.

Mullein moth caterpillars will probably strip all the leaves if you let them have their way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,288
      Thanks @pete! Yeah, having awful problems with blackfly and greenfly this year so might well be honeydew. Ladybirds are gradually coming in to sort the issue out now, so I should see less and less of it, I suppose. I quite like the caterpillars and with 5 buddleias to potentially strip I think it might be too much food for them, but occasional squashing may commence soon if they get greedy... :biggrin:

Nick

• Like Like x 1