1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A couple of questions

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by AndyW72, Feb 1, 2016.

1. AndyW72

AndyW72 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all,

What can I bung into my raised bed at this time of year? Obviously our extremely predictable weather makes it easy!! The bed is 8'x2' ish.

Also I got a raspberry bush and a gooseberry bush growing but I didn't cut them back in the Autumn, can I cut them back now?

Thanks

Andy

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
    If it's fruit and veg you're interested in Andy then I'm the wrong person, but somebody will be along to help you out I'm sure. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,166
      Not a lot at this time of year, the only thing I've got ready to plant is Broad Beans.

If you have a cloche then a sowing of lettuce might give you something.

Depends what sort of Rapsberry - Autumn fruiting need cutting down to ground level now. Summer fruiting - need the old canes cutting right off after they fruited, leave the new canes alone (these will bear fruit this year)

How old is your gooseberry, assuming it is a bush? There are different pruning regimes depending on age.

• AndyW72

AndyW72 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +11
      Errr the raspberry fruited summer into autumn!! Thats not helpful I know!!

and the gooseberry I bought last year from the poundshop and it went straight in.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,166
      I'd take a chance and prune out the older canes, hopefully you can still see the remains of the flower bearing branches - the older canes will also be a darker colour.

From the RHS: