1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

a few beginners questions

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by scott83, Jan 9, 2012.

1. scott83

scott83 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello there, my names scott from south wales. i finally have my own garden and want to make a start this year. my only experience with gardening is tomatos in grow bags.

to begin with i want to dig up all the edges of the garden and fill in with compost that they give away at the local tips.<< will this be ok??

what do i do with all the old earth i've dug up lol?

the seeds i've picked up so far are mixed morning glory seeds, sweet william. and poppy seeds. i also have a few spotted laurel plants that i've been buying from the supermarkets.

i want the morning glories to cover up a chain link fence on one side of my garden. can i germinate them in some kitchen roll, pop them in soil and off they go? is it really that easy?

is it the same for the poppy seeds just pop them in the ground and wait.

ive seen some clumping bamboo at the woods where i walk the dogs. it would do a lovely job of hiding part of the garden. how much of the clump should i dig up to give the bamboo the best chance of surviving. also what time of the year should i dig her up.

thanks for all your help.

2. noksucow

noksucow Gardener

wood machinest
    Ratings:
    +14
    i recently bought a tichmarsh book and what he said to do with the turf was stack it upside down and overlap like a pyramid and eventually the turf will rot down and turn into good topsoil .

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good evening Scott and welcome to the site.:dbgrtmb: If you want borders, skim off the grass and turn over the soil.Never EVER use the so called Council Compost, you don`t know what chemicals/weedkillers are in it or what pernicuous weedseeds there are.:thumbsup:

4. scott83

Ratings:
    +0
    oh wow, thats super so if i start turning the soil over saturday and leave it a few months.by about april i can pop seeds straight into the ground?

5. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    the council compost is made from the recycle bins and is called soil conditioner .... it is very good and is made to PAS 100

it is used my many professional landscapers, and it is a 'soil conditioner' .... i.e. mix it into the existing topsoil

Reclaim Soil Conditioner / Composting / Home - Recycle for West Sussex

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Are you sure it's bamboo?

7. scott83

Ratings:
    +0
    hello, yep definately clumping bamboo.