1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A few other projects about the place

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Jordhandeson, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Jordhandeson

Jordhandeson Gardener

Ratings:
    +219
    Here are few pic of some of my other projects that I have done around the yard that may be of interest. Parents have a small holding with a few sheds on the place and I have a couple of the sheds for my work. I mainly do welding and fabricating, there are usually offcuts left over from jobs, and I am always looking at idea’s to make some thing rather than putting it in the scrap bin. Here are a couple of things I have made recently from offcuts.

The first one isn't metal but offcuts of timber from our shed builds, I used some of the offcuts and made a couple of bird boxes about ten years ago and never got round to making more until last year.
    20210220_085544.jpg

Last year I made 8 more I like even numbers :smile: I fixed them to the barn and within a week they were all taken, Round the place we have mainly house sparrows, it was a real pleasure seeing the birds checking out and moving in the houses. There are 20 sparrows now in the boxes and e few under the roofing.
    _DC20244.JPG _DC20246.JPG _DC20245.JPG

From some offcuts of mesh

20201020_160909.jpg
    I made a couple of hanging bird feeders. The offcuts were not long enough to make round ones so square they had to be.

20201022_173451.jpg
    I made a mixture of mixed bird seed, currants, fruit, and corn, mixing it all together in a melted pan of lard and fats from the previous roasts mother had saved. I wrapped the frames in plastic so it didn't run all over the place and then put them in the freezer.

20201023_111247.jpg

When it was hardened off after a couple of day I pushed some wooden sticks through to make perches.

20201023_112652.jpg 20201023_112659.jpg

I put one out about the end of last year it is almost empty I reckon a week or two and the other one can go out.
    20201023_112928.jpg

Part 1

• Like Like x 5
    • Jordhandeson

Jordhandeson Gardener

Ratings:
      +219
      Part 2

I made them a bird table out of an old chicken feeder and screwed it on one of the gate post a few years ago.
      20210220_085509.jpg

This year I had some offcuts of sheet steel and I made them a new table with a roof on mainly to keep there food dry and to help keep off the crows,

20210219_171532.jpg
      its been up on the wall about a month now,
      table.jpg

It took a while for the majority of them to get used to it but they are happy with it now.

table 2.jpg

This new table I welded hinges on the base to the wall brackets so I can tip it over to clean it now and then.

table 1.jpg

I reckon there are in total about 40 regular sparrows now plus other birds on a daily morning feed, its quite a display.

Hope you enjoy :smile:

• Like Like x 3
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836

:love30::thumbsup:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,560
        Some good ideas there Jordhandeson and well made. :thumbsup: I wish I had the ability to make things like that. I have a couple of nest boxes that my brother made for me, but they have smaller holes so only the tits can enter. Sparrows are not welcome here, even though they nest under the tiles on my house roof. :mad:

• Like Like x 2