1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A few pictures of last year's Brugmansia's

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Wayne, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Wayne

Wayne Gardener

Work for an Airline
    Ratings:
    +326
    Hello All,

I've stuck a few pictures in my gallery of my Brugmansia's last year.
    Hope you like them?

Wayne

• Like Like x 4
    • kernowdreamer

kernowdreamer Gardener

x staff nurse.
      Ratings:
      +26
      Hello Wayne,lovely plants, I'm growing purple ballerina this year.

• davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
      +257
      Hi Wayne
      You got some great Brugs there , how and where do you overwinter them ??

Dave

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      have never planted any, but I recently read that they enjoy a regular watering with epsom salts?

• catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
      Ratings:
      +2,250
      Those are gorgeous Wayne!! I can almost smell their scent..........

• simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,318
      Wow lovely Wayne, love the 3rd one along with the masses of cream flowers and variegated foliage, stunning:love30:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Interesting *Dim*. They are hungry feeders, so (if I had stopped to think about it for a moment) it does indeed seem reasonable.

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,667
      :) Hello Wayne and a rather belated welcome to the forum.

I am quite jealous of your Brugmansias. I have two, both in pots, a B suavolens and what I've been told in a 'Charles Grimaldi' although it was labelled as a B sanguinea. Both are in pots and live outdoors permanently but sadly they seem to suffer with RSM which for the life of me I cannot keep under control. :scratch:

I do have a lot of the 'family' though and love them all ... they all live permanently outdoors ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are quite a few of us on here who are Brug 'fans' and a few threads you may wish to visit to see who has what.

• Like Like x 4
      • Wayne

Wayne Gardener

Work for an Airline
        Ratings:
        +326
        Thanks for the replies..I got very lucky with some great cuttings from some very nice people, and this year I've got even more:thumbsup:
        I was happy to give cuttings away just before winter kicked in and I'm looking foward to seeing how they grow for them this year.

Davy...I keep my larger Brugs in a heated greenhouse, and the cuttings and seedlings are in our cold frame conservatory on hot tray staging. I love it!!

As for feeding, Epsom Salts, yes every two weeks..other times I give them diluted Molasses , other than that I give them miracle grow . I feed them like a fat kid at McDonald's:heehee:, but the rewards are fantastic.

The varigated Brugmansia is called Sunset( sometimes Maya) and it flower's it socks off, and the smell is at times overpowering.

Victoria..Charles Grimaldi is another prolific bloomer, great scent too. I might of told you it was Charles Grimaldi on UKEG??

What happened to Walnut on this forum??? that fella was a legend when I was learning about Brugs. I didn't post then, I was a nervous lurker. :rolleyespink:

Good to chat to you all

Wayne

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
        • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,015
          Wayne - welcome to the forum. I hope we will be seeing lots of you here. :dbgrtmb:

Lovely pictures. I have put a link here to save searching for your gallery http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/members/wayne-albums-brugmansia-s.html

I see that yours are all either named varieties or have an HPIM number. What's that?

Sadly we no longer see Walnut on this forum. I was in contact with him after leaving, but I am not sure how now. Someone may know. It was Walnut that got me interested - he sent me some B. arborea seeds. Last year, I grew a quite a few from various packets of seed from Jungle Seed. At the time I didn't realise that Brugmansias are self sterile, so I thought some of the seedlings might be like their parent - but they aren't. I am growing them on this year to really see what I have got.

I have dropped B. sanguinea this year (lack of space). Its probably the most beautiful of all, but it essentially flowers over the winter and that is difficult to accomodate.

I have one question that you may be able to help with. What physical size and shape do you grow them? I bought a beautiful yellow NOID (the only Brug I have ever seen in a garden centre) three years ago. But like any cutting it was very branched from a low level and never grew that tall (perhaps less than 4 feet). Whilst it looked OK in a pot on the ground, it looked fabulous when I raised the pot onto a bit of wall about 30 inches high. Because you were seeing it at eye level and could see the blooms from underneath.

My thought is that the ideal Brug should be a standard that stands 5 to 6 feet high. However my seed grown ones branched at 6 feet and in a second year they will probably bloom between 7 and 10 feet - which is too tall. What do other people do?

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,015
          Wayne - I agree with you that Brugs need gross feeding. I feed mine early with Miraclegrow, and when flowering with a high potassium feed. They certainly respond to it.

But what does Epsom salts do (ie Magnesium sulphate)? I don't think its a major component of any normal feed. And what about molasses - does it really work and how?

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,046
          Hello and welcome to the forum Wayne.

I'm growing them for the first time this year, encouraged by the threads in the past, as Peter said sadly walnut doesn't post on here any longer but his big thread is a worth a read if you have enough time!

My Purple Ballerina seed have just germinated :)

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
          Ratings:
          +50,667

:) Hi Wayne, obviously did not know it was you ... most on UKEG are not into the likes of GC ... (not posh enough) ... :rolleyespink:

Yes, it was David, Don and your goodself who all agreed on Charles Grimaldi and he/she just had three fantastic blooms over Christmas ... :yess:

Walnut is still around and I am in touch with him from time to time and he's doing his things ... cycling and Brugmansia-ing ... :heehee:

Because of PeterS I too have now started this 'gross feeding regime' with various shrubs and they are all liking it. :love30:

Anyway, nice to see you here and hope you stay around a while.

• roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +6,948
          :) I have always aspired to grow Brugs like these at the Old Vicarage East Runton,but whenever I get a decent size one the wind shreds it to pieces........So I have to forgo the temptation to grow this beautiful plant....:(

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
          • Wayne

Wayne Gardener

Work for an Airline
            Ratings:
            +326
            Roders....you should go for it, Brugmansia's are so rewarding, big dramatic flowers with evening scent.. as a friend of mine would say" Once you get one, you want more", he was right!

Peter. Epsom salts, really it just acts as a bi-monthly summer pick up for a plant that might of lost minerals. Personally, it just seemed to green them up again.

Now as for Molasses I smirked when I first heard this. But it acts more like a soil improver, giving good bacteria and that being transmitted to the Brugmansia. It contains a concentration of sulfur, potash, iron, and micronutrients . Again, they seem to respond well to it.:thumbsup:

As for the size of a Brugmansia, well I grew 15 cuttings and all reached over 5 ft, some like one called Naughty Nick to a height of 14 foot, it was like a triffid:loll:
            I wish I could be harsh enough to shape them to standards:chicken:, I can't. I just let them do their thing. I tend to put them in a raised bed, so I get my nose under them in the evening.
            The following attachments are how they started in my home made raised bed.

Great talking to you all..and yes Victoria UKEG became stuffy, but I'll keep posting Brugs on there, if anything to annoy them!:loll:

Wayne

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3