1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A grass turf planter!

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by colinn, Jul 21, 2015.

1. colinn

colinn Gardener

Ratings:
    +182
    Went to Homebase recently in search of a particular size and shape of planter for some grasses in a particular spot. Couldn't find anything but they did have wire mesh panels and turf so decided to try something that has been in my head for a while...

Cut mesh panels to required size, cut a roll of turf to required size, attach turf to mesh panels with cable ties:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Make a rigid base with some odd bits of wood. Have screwed on panel clips to take the sides of the planter.

[​IMG]

Put everything together flat on the ground:

[​IMG]

Moment of truth - lift the sides and secure at the edges with even more cable ties (I used a lot of cable ties) - it's very floppy at this stage so needs to be supported:

[​IMG]

Run wire from side to side to add rigidity and stop it bowing outward when filled. Add gravel to the bottom for drainage and to keep the compost in:

[​IMG]

Then fill her up with compost/top soil, plant up and top with gravel - done!

I've never tried this before nor seen it done so will be interesting to see how it works out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Brilliant job Colinn..Love it:dbgrtmb:...I can remember seeing something similar but with a grass top on too and used as a bench:blue thumb:

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Great job there Colin , it looks great ! :blue thumb:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,062
      Well done, it looks great!

• Prkns

Prkns Gardener

Web Designer
      Ratings:
      +303
      Love this @colinn, Congrats!

Just out of interest, how much turf did you use to make this and how tall is it? I'm guessing from the photo's but i'd love to get some more information about this!

• colinn

colinn Gardener

Ratings:
      +182
      Thanks for the comps Lolimac, HarryS, JWK and Prkns. The grass is growing so so far so good.

Prkns,

The wire panels were 900x600mm and I used them as is for the long sides so it is 600mm tall.

A standard 1m2 turf roll seems to be 610mm x 1640mm so I used two rolls - a long side from each roll then plenty left for the two ends.

• Useful Useful x 1
      • Prkns

Prkns Gardener

Web Designer
        Ratings:
        +303
        @colinn thanks for the information... one of my friends is after making a turf edged planter and but longer and shorter than this... it's going to be more like turfed stairs in all honesty. Should be pretty nice when it's done. Nice work again!

• Bumbalina

Bumbalina My name is Bumbalina and I am a garden-a-holic

Carer for my nan
        Ratings:
        +46
        Colinn, this is lovely! I think I'm going to steal this idea and like Lolimac mentioned, do it as a bench. Beautiful.