1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A little worried regarding seeds

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by stephenprudence, Apr 5, 2013.

1. stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
    Ratings:
    +2,368
    Now the outlook is moving back to winter maintaining it's grip on Northern parts, and Spring only visiting the southern parts of the UK, in full recognition that it may be cold (and potential frosty/snowy at times) here until May, my seed sowing for this year under threat big time. I can't sow indoors unfortunately it's not an option, and generally as the garage and greenhouse are unheated, it's not really practical to sow seeds yet. if, as I suspect this cold, frosty weather continues into May here, I may have to give up sowing seeds altogether this year.. I don't really want to do that.. surely there's an alternative?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,002
    What sort of seeds Stephen? I started some of my tougher veggie seeds in my unheated greenhouse a few days ago, things like lettuce will germinate OK.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,551
    A bit of a pessimistic view Stephen.

If you hear a loud bang, its because I just shot myself.
    Now, where did I put that gun?:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • stephenprudence

Ratings:
      +2,368
      Pete, a few days ago, I would have looked at myself and laughed mockingly, but things have changed, if you want me to give a more detailed idea of the weather and climatology forum I will.. but anyway given this 'new development' it's a little concerning, as obviously the seeds have only so long in some cases if theyre annuals, before the growing season starts winding down. I live in one of the cooler summer climates so therefore growth is limited and markedly slower than most other parts of UK in summer so obviously, seed growing is 'growing on the edge' here.

John, my seeds are generally perennials, annuals, and bulb forming plants, no vegetablesor fruit/salad crops.. they could all be classed as exotic.

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,551
      OK Stephen, so what has happened to make you feel this way?

• stephenprudence

Ratings:
      +2,368
      To be honest Pete it's continuation of frosts into the foreseeable future and the potential for more snow.. I really need to start these seeds.. as this year much of my garden is reliant of the seeds developing into plants, or the garden will look a bit bare :snork:. Plus this year I wanted to try and improve my seed sowing! I told myself I wouldn't start sowing until the ambient air temperatures was 10C and the night minimum were at least 4C, as any lower, rot may occur to many of the seeds.. so with this not on the horizon, it's a bit of a punch in the stomach..

Meteorologically, a few days ago the concensus was by Saturday we would see low pressure pumping up southerlies bringing something more seasonal, and by the beginning of next week, temperatures would be back to the seasonal average with some wet weather, and then perhaps pressure rising from the southwest. This has changed, with all sides agreeing now that instead of low pressure bringing southerlies, the cold continental air will undercut the milder Atlantic air, bringing back colder surface conditions in the north, coupled with potential, sleet, snow ans freezing rain events. And of course, night frosts persisting.

It's a bit of a kick, but there's nothing I can do (on all levels).. I'm just so eager to start the seeds, but won't start them until the conditions are favourable.. and if it's too late then what can you do?

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,551
      If you dont have a greenhouse, how about window sills, lots of people get by each year sowing on window sills.
      I started that way myself, even though I did have a unheated greenhouse.
      Even a lot of exotics can be raised from seed this way.

How about a cold frame to move the seedlings into after a couple of weeks on the window sill.
      Even a few bricks with some glass over them, with an old carpet ready for night frosts, does the job and you can remove it once things warm up.

Hardy annuals will probably still be OK direct sown, just flower a bit later.
      Half hardies will do ok with the treatment I suggest above.

Dont get downhearted mate, where there is a will, there is a way.:)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • stephenprudence

Ratings:
        +2,368
        I cant use the windowsills, but I do have a Greenhouse but it's shaded, cold area that often gets colder than the actual outside air temperature at night (except on very cold nights).. so it's just not possible... it doesn't really heat up well either, apart from in Mid-summer when the sun is overhead... it's pretty much useless, but it's the only place to keep the plants in winter.

The bricks sound interesting, not sure I've got any glass but have some sheet plastic, could knock something up!

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,497
          I've got similar issues Stephen. My window sills aren't wide enough to put trays on but I do have a spare room. The problem with that is not enough light and the seedlings are growing leggy, inevitably if I can't move them to the greenhouse they will collapse.

Although temperatures here are slightly warmer than the mainland I'm hoping to move the plants out next week, if it's still too cold I will make some temporary cloches with bubble wrap so that I can cover the plants overnight in the greenhouse. I know it's a risk, but it's either that or as you say it'll be to late for this years growing season. At present I have nigh on 30 trays in my spare room, it's a case of having to make some sort of move on the situation.

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,551
            What seeds are we talking about?
            It all sounds very defeatist to me, most half hardy annuals will still flower well even if sown in early May.
            OK a few like a bit longer to get started but most grow like the clappers come June/July.

If you think you have it cold, its not been above 4C here for the last three days.
            Snow showers yesterday and rain/sleet all morning today.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,497
            Pete you must remember that the growing season in the north is shorter. We start our seeds later, plant out later and with less heat and more rain up here during the summer months the plants don't progress like they do further south once in the ground, so if our growing time is delayed it sets everything back.

I am growing mainly perennials this year, but it doesn't really matter which plants, the outcome is the same. :)

• pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,551
            Yes, I realise that Sheal, but we aint a million miles away.
            Probably similar to me, from say, Paris.

There are plants growing on the west coast of Scotland that I could not even consider hardy down here.
            You get longer days:blue thumb:

• Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
            Ratings:
            +4,951
            I don't think Stephen is being pessimistic but realistic!! I have a greenhouse but here in Wales it is still bitterly cold so no use putting my little seedlings out there and consequently they are indoors looking extremely leggy leaning towards the light!! I have bought some new hanging baskets also, but I must admit I have had the occasional feelings of wondering if it is worth it!!! June is now nearly always wet, so when exactly does the gardening year begin???...............:sad:

Val

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Harry Dodson.

• Like Like x 1
              • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +23,089
                Stephen - pm me Sunday to remind me to send the I.balfourii seeds (after all they need a cold spell). Been so busy work wise that I forgot:doh:

Start with a few of the slow germinators using the baggie method, particularly any bulbous plants. Cardiocrinum can take several months to germinate (did I post them?) as can others such as Erythronium.

Just don't give up - there's always an answer!

• Agree Agree x 1