1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A "living" Christmas tree

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by "M", Dec 10, 2014.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    I was recently gifted a living Christmas tree (= Mr "M" who latched on to the idea that it would be so lovely to have a tree which "grows" with us in our forever home and we would be able to grow it outside throughout the year in a tub, but have it indoors for the Season). Great! :yes:

But, now I'm growing a touch concerned (well, "fear" is a better word: what if I kill it? What if it's "doomed" :yikes: )

So, my GC friends: what would be the very best way to care for this living Christmas Tree?:noidea:

At the moment, it is in my dining room, sat on a pine chest, not in direct light (it's a pine, they don't all like full sun?). Should it survive, it will be re-potted into a tub which will sit on my patio (which, at this time of year gets NO direct sunlight, but, I'm convinced will get *some* direct sunlight during the height of summer). Alternatively, it could be positioned in the front of house with a bit more early morning direct light (year round).

The label doesn't have any enthralling detail to go by other than "Blue Spruce" :rolleyespink:

Any and all advice (as always) gratefully received. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,177
      :whistle: blue spruce...:wub2: :blue thumb: :hapfeet:
      :whistle: can grow to a height of 75ft....:phew: :thud: :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

:whistle: could cost you a ££££ in decorations....:heehee:
      xx Jenny xx

• Funny Funny x 3
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        I'll be dead before it costs me that much :whistle: (Send bill to Mr "M" ;) ).

So: best I kill it off now then? :dunno: :roflol:

• Like Like x 1
        • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
          Ratings:
          +31,177
          No, enjoy watching it grow until you get an official complaint from your next door neighbour's solicitor,
          Jenny

• Funny Funny x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
            Ratings:
            +6,654
            Blue Spruce (not Pine then :heehee: :snork:), sorry, these are stunning trees and not particularly fast growing compared to the likes of deciduous trees. Keep it watered inside the house, not soaking but enough so it doesn't dry out.

Once it's been moved outside, carefully re-pot it in spring when it begins to warm up a little (March time would be good), keep watered and if its still looking good past May/June it should be alive and well and will grow on for years to come :)

We did this with a Nordman Fir last year and its now planted in the garden after filling its new pot with fresh roots by August :)

One thing, when you do repot it don't be shocked to find broken thick roots if its been 'pot pressed', as long as there are fine roots there you'll have a good chance of it growing on. If it's been properly pot grown then you should have no problems at all :)

Good Luck

• Informative Informative x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +89,805
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • Lea

Lea Super Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,067
                Treat it as a bonsai but remember that it is an outdoor one. It won't like indoor heating or being dried out. Get it outside as soon as you can and give it a little water every day. Light is important for an outdoor tree which is having an indoor holiday so a window position would be best but not near a radiator or other heater. :)

• Informative Informative x 2