1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A Misty Morning in Somerset

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Phil A, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    DSCI1179.JPG

DSCI1180.JPG

DSCI1181.JPG

• Like Like x 8
    • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
      Ratings:
      +6,543
      image.jpeg Sorry to hear about your early morning mist Zigs,this is our view this morning down here in Somerset...:smile:

• Like Like x 4
      • Kandy

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        I thought it was today's photos:snorky:

Yes been down here since the 11th and back home soon. I Wanted to stay another week but the boss is whittling that all his apples and pears at the allotment will have come down off of the trees and the wasps,birds and rabbits will have eaten them all:snork:

Found a dead Thornback Ray on the beach at Blue Anchor a few days ago with a big hook in its mouth and a load of fishing line and what appears to be a weight all tangled up in some seaweed so the poor thing never stood a chance.Spoke to a couple dog walking on the beach and they said that often people come down to fish and if they catch the wrong fish they will chuck them back but usually take the hook out and not leave it in.:sad:

• Kandy

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        The couple we spoke to said that some fishermen go out in boats fishing and if they go over their quota then any fish they have caught they chuck them back so they get washed up on the beach having taken the hooks out first.:sad:

When we get back home to decent internet I will try and upload the photos I took of it and the fishing line/weight so you can see what had happened.A crow had started to eat at it as the Ray had just come in on that mornings tide and as we were coming back after our beach walk we saw the crow land near it.Shame that the Ray had to die though as we shall probably never see on ever again and it looked a nice specimen:sad:

I tried posting some photos the other day and have to give up after ten minutes but now the site is half empty my speed has got faster:snorky:

• Like Like x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          I know you normally go to the C&CC site at Minehead, but that pic does look very like the Burrowhayes Farm caravan pitches just above the static caravans and below the tent pitches area. If I wasn't so busy at home, I would have been there this week.

• Kandy

Head gardener
          Ratings:
          +6,543
          Yes you are correct @Scrungee we are on the serviced pitches with the static caravans behind us.We have seen campers come and go this last two weeks although we have had a couple more come on today:smile:

We were talking to Julian this morning as we were struggling to get the awning down due to blustery winds:snorky:

Just had a nice walk through Horner woods and took loads of photos of our first Coral fungus.Never seen any of that before:snork: Glad to get back to base camp though as my toe is now killing me:sad:

Don't know the weight Zigs as I didn't want to pick it up.Will put some photos up once we are back home.Went to Dunster for a nice meal the other week then went round the castle on Thursday and went on a Victorian Kitchen tour.Would like to have done the attic tour but my broken toe would have liked the 82 steps to the top:snorky:

Sorry was going to post a couple of photos of the emptying site but the internet connection won't load the photos quick enough again (or let me do smilies now)

• Like Like x 2
            Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Meant the type of fishing weight.

I took the roof off Dunster Castle :) The attics have still got the servant bells pulled by wires, was in there while my labourer was waiting downstairs, pulled a wire and made a bell go off right next to him, scared the wellies out of him :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
            • Scrungee

Ratings:
              +28,997
              Have the tea gardens at Horner (the ones nearest the mill) re-opened? The last time we went there they'd closed pending new ownership, and we didn't rate the alternative ones facing Horner Green very highly.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Kandy

Head gardener
                Ratings:
                +6,543
                image.jpeg Yes they have reopened since we were here two years ago.Went to have a look at the plants they had for sale but they were such poor specimens we never bought any and we don't like the ice creams in those piddling little pots with the spade type spoons:snorky: We have never been in the other one either although the row of terrace cottages have scaffolding all around them and look empty so we reckon the NT are doing them up to relet them:scratch:
                image.jpeg

@Zigs was shown a lot of the bells when we went below stairs and then saw the bell pulls in some of the rooms of the castle.Didn't know that underneath the bells are pendulums so that if the youngest member of those working below stairs was busy cleaning boots etc and didn't get to the kitchen to see which member or guest of the household had rung then by looking for the swinging pendulum they could see where they were needed.

Did you know that some of the doors below stairs have small square openings at the side of them to let the castle bats find their way in and out of the castle,or so the guide told us but I always thought the bats lived in the roof so that must have been in the old days...:snorky:

• Agree Agree x 1
                  Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
                • Scrungee

Ratings:
                  +28,997
                  I've walked through Horner Woods about a hundred times and never seen any there.

But a couple of days ago I found some in a small wooded area near the centre of our village. Every lockdown I find more and more stuff close to home, new species of birds, butterflies, wildflowers, and now fungi.

IMG_20201112_114136746_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 4
                    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020