1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A modern Graham Stewart Thomas

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Howard Stone, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    I use Graham Stewart Thomas's books on shrubs and perennials all the time. But they must be getting very old fashioned now: I bet I'm missing some fabulous modern varieties.

Are there modern substitutes?

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,270
    Have a look at Graham Rice's books. I've got his RHS Encyclopedia of Perennials which is pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Without doubt. There is no end to learning from books, especially for us, to be able to read and learn from the writings of of other gardeners. Not wishing to boast but, I love books. My library of gardening and associated books is very large. I also have several CD's of books from way back.

Much of what we might read in one book, probably is old hat. This is due to methods, accounts etc being handed dow. Then we come across something new to us. This is good and nodoubt in some way or other, we perhaps make a mental note of where we learned this or that point.

The invention of the internet has really speeded research up. For many of us this is an aid, but when time permits. To pick up the book and become engrossed. Only a book can do that.

• Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
      +49
      I'm after a variety of cat mint to use as an underplanting in an orchard, so I thought I'd check RHS AGM ones. The online plant finder functions, but I miss the anecdotes and strong opinions you get in Graham Stewart Thomas. The Plant Finder is a bit too objective.

Here's the Plant Finder on Nepeta Govaniana

And GST

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
        Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,270
        Strong opinions; try Christopher Lloyds writings.

• Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
        +49
        Yes, love Christopher Lloyd (I met him once.)