1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A New Fox in the garden.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mike Allen, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    I was so thrilled to see a new fox in the garden a few days ago. Over the years, foxes seem to have liked my garden, and displayed what I call a feeling of safety and security. Val used to name each one. One in particular, a beautiful vixen. She became very tame and would pose for the camera. For a period of three years, she would surprise us by bringing along her new pups and introducing them to us. I have no complaints regarding visits by wild animals. Never before has any damage been done to the garden. OK the odd calling card has been left behind. No probs.

This new fellow. Really smart and healthy looking. ( any sick or ailing visitors, get treated with homeopathic medicines). My new four legged friend has soon learned to respond to my calls. Oh dear! Yesterday I looked out, called him and treated him to a meal. Then I spotted a hole he had dug in the rose bed. Sadly one or two roses have had it. Never mind. I do hope he stays around for some time.

A couple of years ago. I read a study report by some Oxford Uni scientists. From the report. Lifespan for a fox is about five years. Possibly due to country life, fox hunting etc may very well caused foxy to seek new pastures. So leaving thge forests and woodlands and open fields, foxy has taken to the bright lights of cities and towns. Why not?

The fox is classified as a scavenger. This is by no means a disgraceful label. After all said and done. We have Binmen. Sorry. Refuse collection technicians. Foxy is part of the natural worlds masters of keeping the place clean. So despite the towns and cities, boasting of being populated by..........clean living folk. Perhaps, thanks to today's fast food outlets. Our streets, hiways and byways have become litter drop-offs. So foxy old friend, what's on the menu tonight? KFC. Chicken chow mein, a big mac. Take your pick. It's all there. So for those non loving foxy types. Be honest. Ask yourself, have I invited foxes into my street????????

Another point that came out, due to this study. The urban fox as town/city foxes have been labelled. It has been observed that. These animals have become territorial is so much that, they recognise each others territory. Now in whatever event, foxy from area one, suddenly for whatever reason, disapears of the radar, then foxy from the next area, moves over. This, I found to be most interesting. Actually it reminded me of another scientific study, that of snails. Here it was discovered that, baby snails retained their baby/junior status until one of their peers died or whatever.

Truly. There is so, so much we don't know about, regarding this world and us.

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,682
      I truly liked reading this. The bits of nature pushing through into our suburban lives, not conforming to the preferences seen by humans (koala= cute, butterfly= beautiful, slug=eugh, rat=vermin) but just being there, adapting and surviving.

And it's a thrill to form a bond to a wild animal. We have a crow, who probably is half blind as it walks sideways and is bullied by the other young crows. Whenever he comes in I throw a piece of cheese and sit on the bench, willing it to be brave and take the offering whilst I'm there. Slowly, slowly he's getting more confident with my presence. I don't want to tame it, I want to enjoy his visits done when he feels like it. He is wild, I'm the happy observer (and provider of cheese) who gets pleasure of having a bit of nature poking through the everyday life tasks.

The uncontrollable nature pushes in even here, 5 min walk to the metro that takes you into Newcastle city centre in 12 minutes. The co-habiting of urban and wild is reassuring. :)

• Like Like x 7
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,610
        I haven't seen a fox in 27 years. Mainly because I spent 24 of those years on the Isle of Man and I'm still waiting to see one now I'm back on the mainland.

Where as foxes are classed as scavengers here it's a different story for my daughter, who living in Canada has to contend with the occasional bear. They too have become part of peoples lives on the streets of towns and in gardens where they are looking for food. Unlike a fox they are not encouraged being dangerous animals.

• Like Like x 2
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Mike Allen

Ratings:
          +6,097
          Sheal. I liked your post. So sad you haven't seen foxy lately. I have to admit, I'd love to see such wild animals as live in the US & Canada up close.

Thankfully peoples attitudes have changed over time, whether this is due somewhat to todays media etc, I can't say. It is perhaps more noticeable that town and city dwellers have become more animal friendly, if that's the right term. I so often think that an animal wild or otherwise, probably shares similar thought and perhaps fears as we might, when coming face to face.

There are so many films,videos etc available that show animals and man enjoying such a grand relationship. I have mentioned my volunteer days with FOAL Farm. Better known as. Friends of Animals League. At one time, so many young foxes becam inmates. The warden built a very large enclosure. Within less time than it takes to tell. He and the foxes could be seen romping about and playing.

Then thanks to Youtube. Clips are available where for instance. A lioness had been raised by a chap. In time the animal was given over to a zoo or whatever. Some time later the chap paid a visit and immediately the animal recognised the mans voice. Honest. It will bring tears of joy if you watch it. So I think, we still have a way to go but, IMHO a good strong relationship can be developed.

• Like Like x 3
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,610
            I know foxes visit my garden overnight Mike as they leave their 'calling card'. Did you know that they sometimes leave a gift as well? For some strange reason after doing their business they will place something on top of it, I've found a couple of tree cones and a stone. :)

Badgers also visit my garden at night. They come in to clear up around the base of the bird feeders and I watch them when I can. Surprisingly they don't create any damage in the garden.

I'm not so sure about that where pets are concerned. More and more people are adopting dogs, only for the animal to be shut indoors alone all day long while they are working. It's not fair on the dog or the neighbours. Many spend all day barking or howling through boredom and that in turn creates issues in the neighbourhood.

• Agree Agree x 3
              Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
            • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,616
              My favourite visitor from the wild is an opposum. They've got these cute little pink toes. Their snout and tail aren't that pretty and they do have horrendous breathe but I still like my little visitor. I hate rats and when I get one, I leave it on the back fence as a present for him because they are also a scavenger. Big bonus in keeping the yard free of dead bodies.

I do like our squirrels, the grey and black ones, not the foreign red ones (different from those over there as tney are bullies and damage homes) and raccoons are not welcome here either as they cause damage. I had a hot tub destroyed by one of them. A bb in the bum sends the coons running.

Love the birds and rabbits. Not enough rabbits for me. Had the pleasure of babies here one spring :)

• Like Like x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,610
                I've had the pleasure of rabbits in a previous garden, they are very destructive and eat their way through many plants. I did discover they won't eat Lupins though. :)

• Informative Informative x 2
                • Mike Allen

Ratings:
                  +6,097
                  Yes. I totally agree with you. If a person takes on the responsibility of owning a pet, then they owe it to the animal to care for ot propery. My downstairs neighbour was reported by me to the RSPCA. She had a very small dog, like a minature Yorkie. She'd go off and leave it for four or five days, shut in the flat. Upon her return, she'd knock seven bells out of the little thing, because it had relieved itself indoors. We thought thge RSPCA had put paid to her having pets. We were wrong. That little dog, named Mickey, was picked up by a neighbour further down the road. She aske me, did I know who owned it. I told her to take it home and look after it.

My mention of perhaps folk coming to a better understanding of animals, referred to wild animals. YES I know foxy will often leave a gift apart from poo. I have found the odd childs doll or small article of clothing similary left. Cats so often take home as a pressie something they have caught. The natural world offers us so much, if only we will take time to stop and stare and learn.

• Like Like x 3
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                    Ratings:
                    +30,616
                    @Sheal that is funny because Lupins refuse to survive in my garden!

I grew lettuce for the rabbits. Had them at an easy to munch height and they didn't bother. They just sit around and leave marbles here and there . There must be a much better garden nearby or these are really picky rabbits.:rolleyespink:

I just gave Mr. O a couple of presents. And I hope he appreciates it!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
                      +611
                      I sometimes have a hegdehog visit my garden and sometimes seen a sguirrel i did have a foxes den at the bottom of the garden but they disappeared a while ago and never returned but really the only wild animal thats allowed in the garden is the hedgehog tiggs is so possesive as regards his territory

• Like Like x 4
                      • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +4,289
                        That reminds me of Christian (the lion from Harrods) and his incredibly touching reunion with his owners. The amazing thing is that the lionesses and the orphan cub also affectionately welcomed them.

Nick

• Like Like x 3