1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A quick update and some questions.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by LindsayH, Aug 8, 2013.

1. LindsayH

LindsayH Gardener

Veterinary nurse.
    Ratings:
    +132
    Firstly, I thought I'd post a little update in case any of you remember my buried barrels mystery. You guys helped me identify them as a water saving system. Well after bailing them out (mostly) and fishing out bricks, patio slabs and wood from the bottom I discovered they weren't half barrels, they were whole barrels! God only knows how they got them in there. Plan to completely remove them was quickly abandoned and instead I decided to dig down to half way then cut them with a power saw:
    P1020802.JPG
    Took bloomin ages digging out all that clay! Next I made holes in the bottom with a hand drill, the last of the water didn't really drain out but by then I was fed up so decided to fill them in. I've managed to get about a foot from the top of the hole with everything I had so now need to get some more top soil. My kale and broccoli have been watching through the greenhouse glass and are getting very excited about finally having somewhere proper to live!
    Which leads me to my first question - how does anyone grow brassicas outside? I have about 30 in pots in the g/h which have been absolutely devastated by caterpillars. The only reason they are still alive is every day I spend ages picking up the pots and hunting for caterpillars. How do I do this once I plant them out? Second question - like with killing unicorns or scrapping rare cars, do you go to hell for squishing baby butterflies? :huh:

Next question, the 18" eucalyptus I planted 10 months ago to fill some space in my newly weeded/empty garden has done a great job. Now how the hell do I slow it down? It has one spindly main stem about 6 feet high and a second one nearly as big coming out about a foot above ground level. I have already chopped a foot off each, is it ok to keep doing this?

The mostly red/purple hebe I planted in spring is now almost completely green, is this normal?

I know this has been done before, but can you give me a couple of hedging plant ideas? Evergreen, not fast growing, shade tolerant and preferably native. It's not really for a proper hedge but to grow in front of a wire mesh fence in my 'orchard' alongside the currants and cultivated blackberries that are already there.

Last one I promise! What will happen (if anything) if I paint weedkiller on to the Leylandii branches that have smashed their way into my greenhouse from next door?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer :)

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Well, you could pinch out the tops of the stems which would encourage them to bush outwards instead of gaining height.:coffee:

Well, although the leaves are waxen you could end up either damaging or killing the tree. The best idea would be to inform your neighbour that you intend to cut back the branches that are intruding into your garden. You are, in law, able to do this although technically speaking you are supposed to hand the branches over the the Neighbour.:snork:

3. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Hi LindsayH: bargain! Because, it's done the job you intended (and then some!) ;)

I inherited a eucalyptus and they are fast growing little blighters.

Fortunately (for me) the one I have was in a pot (albeit, a very, large, pot!). As you (now) know, they are very fast growing shrubs/trees, but they can be controlled with a yearly chop (pollarding?). The best time to do this is in Spring and will stem their growth into manageable proportions.

My next door neighbour has one which has grown phenomenally, even in my 3yrs of being here, and is never cut, trimmed, reduced. It's a monster (and so is their fig; but, that should be another thread :wallbanging: )

If you really do not want the work/do not like it anymore, you could always dig it out (and sooner, rather than later) "Pinching" out the tops, may appear good advice, but a "pinch" will have little impact (that tea drinking smiley should have given you the clue you are having your tail tweaked by Our Mandy :heehee: ).

In Spring, it needs reducing by a good third to half of it's size to keep it in check/manageable. "Bushing" out is what will happen, but, just think: you have seen how "high" it can climb in a season, so, trimming it down in height and you will be facing a similar dilemma in "bushiness" ;)

Do you recall which variety of eucalyptus it is?

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,595
      Yes. But then some would say you go to hell for everything, and some would say you're already in hell and this life is your chance to break out, and some would say you create your own hell in your mind. Still others would say its ok to squish caterpillars. Personally I try not too. I like plants, but secretly I like creatures more, and see the plants as just a home/shelter/pantry for creatures.

Well, in law, the neighbour's trees have trespassed and caused damage to your property, so your neighbour is liable to compensate you for that damage, if you wanted to pursue it. Equally, if you paint a systemic weedkiller onto their tree, even though you only target the bit on your side, its criminal damage and you become liable to compensate your neighbour for their tree if you kill it. Personally I'd chop the offending branches off, give them to the neighbour (its still their property), and explain that you don't want to lose a significant chunk of your garden to their trees. Just talk to them (if they are approachable) and see what you can work out. If they are not approachable, you can still legally chop off any part of their tree that crosses your boundary.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        I cover them with scaffolders debris netting (the netting needs to be very fine to keep the Cabbage White Butterfly out, as they can fold up their wings and squeeze through very narrow gaps). You can also do leaf-patrol and rub off the clusters of (usually yellow) eggs ... or you can pick the caterpillars off, but by the time you see THEM they will be causing damage.

Pictures of 9-year-old setting up protection for my Brassicas:

http://kgarden.wordpress.com/2009/05/04/brassica-netting-against-cabbage-white-butterfly/

Chop it down in spring each year. It won't mind, and will form a bush plus, as a bonus, it will keep its "juvenile" foliage - which, depending on variety, is most probably more attractive than its adult foliage.

Probably. Quite a lot of Purple leafed plants green-up in the Summer months.

How tall & thick do you want it to be?

As others have said don't risk killing your neighbour's tree, just cut off anything coming over the divide. If you cut Leylandii back to "old wood" it won't regrow, so you could cut it back to the trunk, on your side, and then you would just have bare brown wood (which will look ugly, but might suit your purpose), or trim it back to young green wood/leaf and then maintain it as a clipped hedge - but being Leylandii you'll probably have to cut it three times a year :( I wouldn't cut a Leylandii hedge any later than now (late cutting runs the increased risk of disease from Leylandii aphid)

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,361
        I think all your questions have been answered :blue thumb: except for the hedging - and you need to answer Kristen's question about what you want to achieve with it.

Eucalyptus - it usually grows more than a metre per year and we used to cut ours back to about a foot from the ground. It bushed out from there and formed a lovely blue shrub but needed trimming more frequently than we actually did it. Mrs Shiney found the young growth was excellent for flower arranging. The shrubby growth still gets the stems thickening up so will also need regular cutting. I'd be inclined to cut it like dogwood - once you have the shrub effect, remove about a third of the stems each year and just shape the rest.

Leylandii - we have a similar situation and now cut it like a hedge. If you've let it go too far you may be in danger of cutting into brown leaf and you won't get a hedge effect. So don't leave it too late before you decide to do something.

• stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
        Ratings:
        +2,368
        Hebe will return to it's reddish tinge again in winter.. cooler air and dimmer light bring out the red tinge in some plants.

• LindsayH

LindsayH Gardener

Veterinary nurse.
        Ratings:
        +132
        Some great replies, thanks guys. I can always count on you!

Thanks Clueless, it's good to get a bit existential every now and then :snork: I've been moving any baby butterflies that are big enough to handle to a self seeded brassica of some kind that is growing in a pot on my patio. I've been having to squish the small ones though :cry3:

The eucalyptus is a 'gunnii'. It only cost three quid in a sale so didn't ask too many questions at the time. I don't want to give the impression that I'm ungrateful, it's doing a swell job and I like it a lot. I'll just keep chopping bits off it then!

This is the fence where I want a sort-of-hedge:
        P1020814.JPG
        I only want it to cover the fence up a bit and to be wildlife friendly. I guess I want something that doesn't get bigger than 4-5 foot and is quite narrow, or happy to be chopped to that size. Slow growing might be a good idea - oh, and non toxic.

The hedge in question is my neighbours and I went round and had a really good chat with them about it in spring. They didn't sound impressed at the time and have done nothing. I can't get at it behind the greenhouse as there is a wire mesh fence right behind. It's smashing panes of glass and blocking most of the light to my veg patch. In places I've tried to hack at it already, but it's about 20 feet tall in places.
        P1020812.JPG P1020813.JPG
        :ThankYou:

Attached Files:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        AMongst the most pretty Juvenile foliage, so worth cutting back hard each year or two (or cut 1/3rd of the shoots back each year, so none older than 3 years) to keep that "look" I reckon.

Vigorous though!

Looks a bit shaded?

Not really sure what to suggest. Trouble with slow growing is that it takes ages to make the hedge ... trouble with fast growing is that it fills the gap quickly ... but then doesn't stop. Much like that menace that your neighbour has planted.

Evergreen none toxic wildlife friendly hedge:

Yew (slow to get going, then only a foot per year, smart when cut). Toxic, but I don't think anything will try to eat it, in practice. You could plant Thuja plicata atrovirens if you want a smart clipped hedge - quicker than Yew, slower than Leylandii, and more controllable too.
        Holly - too wide for that gap I reckon. The fallen leaves are a prickly nightmare when weeding in borders nearby
        Box - perhaps too slow? Risk of Box blight, sadly.
        Privet - would be OK I think. Can be kept narrow. Might be a bit vigorous?
        Escallonia - might be too wide. It grows in a rather scruffy shape (if you like that sort of thing). Pretty flowers, that would keep the wildlife happy :)
        Laurel - FAR too wide!
        Holm oak - bit of an unusual choice! Probably too wide.
        Euonymous - I had the plain (large leaf) ones as hedges, but I think the smaller leafed ones look good. Variegated ones. Should be fine as a thin hedge.

The good news is that where it is brown, beside your greenhouse, it won't grow back any more. The bad news is that not much of it is brown ... and as one would expect with Leylandii where it is growing its adding about 3' a year :(

You'd have an uphill battle, but [ultimately] the courts will find in your favour at that height.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,361
        Sorry to be a killjoy but, although Kristen is correct, there's nothing you can do about the Leylandii by your greenhouse. In that area it is only about 8ft high and the courts won't do anything about it.

Where it may have been allowed to grow to 20ft the local authority or the courts can do something. The local authority are able to do something but may charge a lot just to come and inspect. There is no automatic 'right to light' but there is 'loss of enjoyment' and they do have the authority to enforce the tall hedge act that is specifically aimed at Leylandii. Although the act doesn't specify exact height limits it does allows up to 2 metres and a leeway from there which is usually determined as 8ft.

You are entitled to cut back any overhang into your garden which you appear to have done by the greenhouse. A major problem for your greenhouse is that you have sited it too close to your boundary as it's always best to allow about 3ft between it and the boundary so that you can work around it.

Re a hedge by the fence:- as Kristen says, euonymous is pretty good, easy to look after and attractive.

We have quite a lot of variegated euonymous (mainly varying amounts of gold and green and a silver and green) and this is the silver which is only 9"-12" thick.

P1170534.jpg

If you're passing this way I can give you loads of cuttings :blue thumb:

If you're coming to the GC meet at East Ruston tomorrow I can bring some with me. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
        • LindsayH

LindsayH Gardener

Veterinary nurse.
          Ratings:
          +132
          Thanks for the hedge plant suggestions, I'm going to go and have a google.

The naughty hedge pictures are a bit misleading, it looks 8 feet high in places where I've chopped at it over the last year. The middle of the hedge (width ways) and on their side it is much higher. I'd be quite happy with 8 feet!
          The height is one thing, the greenhouse is another.
          I haven't sited the greenhouse anywhere, but the previous owner's sons tell me the greenhouse has been there longer than the hedge. I might just try painting an ickle bit of weedkiller on a small bit that's poking through and see what happens. It really is causing a lot of damage!
          Cheers guys!

• Like Like x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            You'd be far better off, Lindsay, cutting back into the hedge rather than using Weedkiller. With the first method you can control the result........with the second you have no control and what the damage could be:dunno::coffee:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,667
              If you don't mind it looking brown just cut the branches back to the trunk - on Leylandii they won't regrow, and [unlike most plants] it won't re-sprout from the trunk

• Agree Agree x 2
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                Well, looking at Lindsay's last pic, the hedge is at that stage right now!!:snork:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                Well ... only in places (most places I grant you), but the green bits will continue to grow (and they'll grow a lot each year). If they were cut right back to the trunk they would never grow back - but they'll look fugly of course ...

• Agree Agree x 1