1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A sick Syringa shrub.

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by stony, Sep 22, 2008.

1. stony

stony Gardener

having a good time
    Ratings:
    +29
  2. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks to me like it is dry.Is it sited in full sun? You say a combination of clay and chalk - maybe the subsoil isnt very good.
    If it were me i would try and dig it up and plant it either elsewhere or in a pot for a while to see if it recovers - give it a good feed too. While you are at it, take a good look at the roots to check there are no " beasties" lurking there - ie vine weevil grubs etc.
    Hope this helps

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Stony, I would acidify the soil slightly by adding a few bags of sedge/dark peat.:thumb:

4. stony

stony Gardener

having a good time
    Ratings:
    +29
    Why would you do that David?

As a matter of fact, what |I didn't say was that although it's on the soil as I described, since all our garden is about 9inches of top soil over chalk and flint (downland), I did double dig this bed originally and add quite a lot of compost and peat based stuff. I was beginning to think that that is the problem, but who knows:cnfs:
    stony.

PS. thanks for the suggestions folk.

5. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,985
    There is a virus which attacks Lilac. The symptoms are that the flowers and new growth look as if someone has set fire to them. If the other suggestions (and drought looks to be the more likely culprit) then it could be this virus.

6. stony

stony Gardener

having a good time
    Ratings:
    +29
    It is in full sun, when there is any:D There has been a lot of rain, for both last and this year, and so I would think that lack of water is unlikely to be the cause. Daves suggestion of adding peat based compost might be an answer, although there as been quite a lot of mixed compost onto that bed already. Maybe it is a virus :cnfs: I will try to find out a bit more about it.
    Thanks to all.
    stony

7. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I suggested adding peat, Stony, because you said you are on chalk so the soil could be TOO alkaline. Having seen Nick`s answer I`ve had another look at your photo`s, and the leaves DO look as if it could be Fireblight. Are the stems black and burnt looking? Another thought, has anyone been using weedkiller in the vicinity?

8. stony

stony Gardener

having a good time
    Ratings:
    +29
    The stems are O.K and there is a lot of green leaf lower down, some of which has shrivelled brown edges to the leaves. I do live close to open pasture land but would not think that they use any chemicals on it since it's used for grazing animals. All the other plants in the bed are, and have been fine, giving a good show of flowers each year. The only weed killer that has been used by my wife, has been spot weeding of Dandelions in the lawn

Would excessive wind give damage like that? Our area is nicknamed "Windy Ridge"
    stony.