1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A slightly apprehensive hello from Warwickshire!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Warwicks1, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Warwicks1

Warwicks1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi all,

I’ve plucked up the courage to join this forum – it seems both friendly and a constructive place to spend a little time – a pretty good combination and starting point.

I’m not quite sure how I got to be posting on a gardening forum, or what has led me here, and like some other intros that I've read, I don’t feel qualified to say anything useful – at least not about gardening… at least not yet!

In July I found myself doing some weeding and garden tidying for my elderly neighbour, which led to one or two others asking for similar. Now I have half a dozen local neighbours and one other person calling on me, sometimes even assuming I know what I’m doing – which frightens me a bit (because I don’t really think I do!). But, I have had fun trying (and a big success with the creation of a small pond!)

I would like to go deeper into gardening, but am finding it difficult to know how to begin. Getting stuck in does bring me back to Google (especially RHS) and a few books I have, which is helpful as needing to know often means you remember. I’m also considering whether to supplement the practical side with a RHS distance learning qualification. Added to that, a very trusting friend who knows absolutely nothing about gardens has asked me to come up with ideas for sorting and replanting his garden – which is a bit of a mess. So, in addition to the practical and the theory, I might have a project available too.

What I’m really lacking though is experience, and confidence. I’m hoping to find people who here who can tolerate some silly questions, and perhaps even a bit of informal mentoring (and laughter when it all goes a bit pear shaped – very important!).

Lovely to meet you all (in a virtual sense of course!)

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,370
      Welcome to GC :dbgrtmb:

You'll get plenty of advice on here but some of it may turn out to be contradictory :). also plenty of humour so I hope you keep your funny head on when visiting here. :heehee:

Photos of what you want to sort out are always helpful to us.

See you around. :blue thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,063
        Welcome to the forum

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,311
        Hello and welcome to GC. You'll find lots of help and advice here, sometimes conflicting, but gardening's a huge subject :biggrin:
        I sympathise with your situation as I was in a similar one many years ago. I had the opportunity to take on the clients of a gardener friend who wanted to retire, but was very unsure whether I could make a go of it. I did have a lot of experience as a hobby gardener, and a RHS qualification, but the confidence (especially in my physical ability to do the job) was lacking. It was the best thing I ever did :)
        When the time came to emigrate, I 'trained up' a friend who, like you, was unsure about the technical side of things. It worked out for him, too.
        There's so much information available, from books, the Internet, forums etc.....so it's relatively easy to learn as you go along. Personally, I'd steer clear of a formal RHS course. They do rather 'counsel perfection' which will bog you down with unnecessary information. You'll also find that for 11 months of the year, you're working so hard that you'll be too :yawn: to study in the evenings!
        Start off by learning about soil and pruning techniques, and then pests and diseases, they're essential. But remember that nature is very forgiving. If you get something wrong, plants do tend to bounce back :)

• Like Like x 3
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Hi Warwicks, welcome to Gardeners Corner.:love30::thumbsup:

"You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”:heehee:

Gardening is very much like that, Warwick, it will, and has, brought you into the company of good people (the GC Gang) who are more than willing to give good advice made practical and simple from their own experiences.

Well, you've made a good start by joining GC and if you want to earn a RHS qualification then why not? Just be careful that you don't burn out your enthusiasm by trying to tackle too many things at once.

That's great, success is a big help to learning, but so is failure, and I can guarantee that all of the GC Gang have had both and learnt, and still are learning, from them. There's no such thing as asking a silly question on GC, except if you ask me if you can borrow a Fiver:dunno::heehee:, as the GC Gang will give you good, friendly, advice every time.

• Like Like x 3
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +118,370
            Most definitely a silly question :roflol:

• Funny Funny x 3
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,610
              Welcome to the forum! Yes, lots of helpful folk here. And right now I'm in a position to share before and after snow shoveling pictures and techniques so you can count on others here to steer you in the right direction and me to cheer you on :)

• Like Like x 3
              • Friendly Friendly x 3
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,564
                Welcome to Gardeners Corner Warwicks1. :) I've been a member of GC for a few years and I must say yours is one of the best introductory posts I've read, thank you.

Your experience and confidence will grow with back up from our friends here. Gardening is a big and ongoing subject so we're all continuing to learn no matter how much experience we have. We often say there's no such thing as a silly question, so fire away with any questions, however trivial you think they are - we'll be happy to help. :)

• Like Like x 2
                • Agree Agree x 2
                • Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
                  Ratings:
                  +1,200
                  Welcome to GC Warwicks, we all start somewhere, and its great to have you at somewhere, look forward to chatting.

• Like Like x 4
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                    Ratings:
                    +6,097
                    noisette4. What a great comment. I second your mention of the RHS. Having been associated with the organization since the 1960's, it has become recognized at THE gardening authority, hoever at times it is very one-sided.
                    I always enjoy your contributions to the forum

• Like Like x 4
                    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                      Ratings:
                      +6,097
                      Warwicks. A very warm welcome to the forum.

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • Warwicks1

Warwicks1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                        +14
                        Hi all, I just wanted to thank you for your great responses. Also, your thoughts about RHS qualifications - thank you noisette47 in particular, what you've said echoes what some others have said to me aside of the forum. I'll focus on getting out there and also posting on here!

I thought of you all today as I was pruning a shrub in a neighbour's garden. Really have no idea what it was... I think tomorrow I'd better post a photo. It'd be difficult to replace what I cut off, but I suspect it might be that I didn't prune hard enough (I hope so anyway!).

Thanks again for your welcome!

• Like Like x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
                          Ratings:
                          +12,508
                          @Warwicks1 , don’t be “apprehensive”. They’re a helpful bunch here, and...welcome :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 2
                          • shiney

Ratings:
                            +118,370
                            When taking photos of plants it helps us to identify them if you take a close up of the flower (if any), the leaf and a stem with a number of leaves growing on it. The positioning of the leaves helps with the I.D. some plants have leaves opposite each other, some alternate etc. A close up of the leaf shows the formation of the veins in it. :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1