1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A warm wall in Surrey

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Howard Stone, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    I've got a warm wall, not quite in Surrey, but close. It's in Wimbledon. I want to plant something which will make everyone's jaw drop, something rare and exotic.

The space is narrow because of a window. Soil is neutral clay. It's South west facing in an area surrounded by three brick walls. I'll post a photo tomorrow.

Its a small planting bed with paving on three sides, brick wall on the fourth. The area is extremely hot - it was too hot to be in today, for example.

Things growing near - a variegated agave, a Vitis purpurea. There's an abutilon there at the moment, but it's getting leggy - it's about 10 years old. And I have to give it iron to stop chlorosis, so it's not ideal.

In my mind's eye I have a bamboo with golden calms 6 inches thick.

2. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    How about either a Campsis or a Fremontodendron. There is a house near me which has a Fremontodendron trained up its wall and it's absolutely stunning when in flower.

• Like Like x 1
    • Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
      +49
      I’ve grown Frenontedendron, and when it’s in flower it is indeed stunning. But there are two problems. First, it needs to be kept in check - it’s fast once it gets established. And the hairs on the stems and leaves make it a very serious irritant. You have to wear PPE when you prune it!

And second, it’s short lived in my experience. Five years or so. Two plants I had died after about five years.

i will explore Campsis. Pictures remind me of Trapaeolum speciosum, which I also grow. It just sat there sulking and moribund for about 10 years and then suddenly decided to come to life, and now provides a substantial display reliably.

• Like Like x 1
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,376
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,164
        How about a fast growing annual, Spanish Flag 'Ipomoea lobata' gives an amazing summer long fiery display.