1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A Wildlife Water Haven..... I hope!

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Joolz, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
    +884
    Apologies for being such a shoddy member of this group. I had intended on being here more often but life keeps blooming well running away from me and I've also had a flare-up of Labyrinthitis again which knocks me for 6 when it's bad. All seems ok atm though, fingers crossed! Anyway......

I've been wanting to add a wildlife pond to my garden for some time and so this summer, I took the plunge and did it. As I was the one digging it out and putting it all in place I opted to use a preformed liner. Thankfully we have a fabulous aquatics centre attached to a local garden centre, so I've been able to tap into their advise for pond plants etc too.

The area that the pond is placed is by my greenhouses. It gets full sun from around 11am till around 4/5pm at this time of year. With that in mind, once the pond was dug in and sited I added shelters from the sun by using bricks with slate across them and small broken terracotta pots for any inhabitants to the bottom of the pond so they can seek some shade. We also have hedgehogs in the garden so I've made sure there is a way for them to get out should they slip in by placing logs across with a couple that lead into the water.

The pond is placed at the back of our leylandii/conifer hedge which has died off at the back. That was cut back to the trunks (the front of it is still very green) and I'm hoping to grow a climbing clematis over it in time to cover the trunks. I know that it may well drop lots of bits into the pond, so I'll be keeping an eye on how it fairs over the coming months and can always move it if needs be.
    The area was very overgrown with bramble and ground elder, so it took a couple of weeks of digging over the area to try to remove as many roots etc as possible before pond construction took place. There's bound to be some that come through but I'm hopeful I've got out the lions share. Fingers crossed.

I've added bark around the area to try to help suppress the weeds etc coming through and to also give a base for the gravel and stones alongside the pond.

Anyway, enough of my wittering.. Here it is. I have to say I'm really pleased with it and I can't wait to see if we have residents moving in.

Before and after!. [​IMG]

Totally overgrown, lots of bramble and Ground Elder (blasted stuff!)
    [​IMG]

Let the clearing, begin!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Part way through digging! I should have employed a couple of moles to do this for me.
    [​IMG]

The Pond. Bermuda Sands Pond.
    [​IMG]

Starting to play about placing rocks and stones.
    [​IMG]

The end result.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to add more plants around the perimeter of the pond and will be adding a log stack to the right (where the potted calla lily is) to add more hideaways for any visitors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone has any advice on how I can keep the pond in the best condition, I'd really appreciate it. xx

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    • Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
      +884
      IMG_8304.jpg IMG_8284.jpg

• Like Like x 2
      • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +28,498
        Looks fantastic, the only problem I foresee is blanket weed covering everything as it does in my barrel. You must be pleased with the result.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
        • Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
          +884
          Thanks @strongylodon . I've already removed a little blanket weed that had hitched a ride on the water hawthorn. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
            Last edited: Jun 28, 2020