1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

acer griseum

Discussion in 'Trees' started by wilroda, Nov 13, 2011.

1. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have seen one of the above trees reduced at my local garden centre from almost fifty pound to only 15 and needless to say I am tempted!

The shape is very poor and I am wondering if I could prune it very hard to get some shape back into it.
    ( i think the main stem has been damaged at some point)

Thanks!

2. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Hi, many of the ornamaental acers (not japanese) can be trained to form multi-stemmed specimens, I would suggest pruning this one back later in the winter (if you buy it) and it will grow nummerous stems from next spring, select the stronger best placed shoots and leave them to grow pruning out the others. I have done the same with an Acer pensylvanicum - 'Erythrocladum', I cut it back to a 12" stump late last winter and it's produced multiple stems to 5-6ft through out the year :thumb:

Have a look at this;

Acer griseum – Plants – Oak Leaf Gardening

Hope this helps :thumb:

3. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the advice!

I may just buy it and train it as you suggest.

4. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    If the main stem has been damaged I would normally not buy this plant. However, it may be that there is an adjacent stem that could be trained as a new leader
    I really would need to see the tree before I could offer any advice
    On the other hand, 15 quid for a Griseum isn't taking too big a chance :)