1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Acer Phoenix (Japanese Maple) Max height

Discussion in 'Trees' started by bmk, Jul 18, 2013.

1. bmk

bmk Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi
    Complete beginner here,
    I'm finding numerous different max heights for this tree online ranging from 1.5m to 8m and everything in between.
    I have ordered this and hoped it would have a max hgt of 2.5m and much bigger would be too big for my plans.
    Ordered from gardenbargains and called 'Acer Phoenix' on their site
    I see another phoenix called x conspicum which seems much larger but cannot get a definite height for this (grown in ground)
    Many thanks

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    It may be capable of growing to 6M (varieties of Snake Bark crosses vary ...) but it is very unlikely to do more than 3M in 10 years - unless you plant a semi-mature plant to start with :)

Acers like this don't grow particularly aggressively, so it would be easy to keep it in check by gentle trimming when it starts to get a bit over-size for your garden.

I'm a bit surprised that Garden Bargains are selling Phoenix as I thought it was hard to propagate and rather sought after ... whereas I think of Garden Bargains as being stack-high & sell-cheap ... it looks like they are selling it BOGOFF for £9.99 ...

Not entirely obvious but looks to be a 70cm in a 1L pot in which case its a long wait until you have a plant to be able to admire, and (cost aside) if you are after an acer as a specimen plant in your garden I would suggest buying a larger one at the outset - you'd be looking at about £70 for a 1.5M tall plant (which would be in something like a 20L container).

3. bmk

bmk Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    thanks for the info, good to know it could be pruned if getting to big, I've bought another few acers and sounds like I'll be waiting a while then for them to look decent.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Many/most plants better bought small and allowed to grow big in situ - they usually catch up with semi-mature plants after a few years. But I think the Japanese Acers are one of the few plants worth buying in "Bigger" as it represents probably 5 years growth-time saved.

5. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I find some sites give the height of the plant as the height after ten years, rather then the eventual height, which may be why there is such a disparity :)