Achillea

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jack Sparrow, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    I am in possession of a white achillea which the lovely @Linz generously sent to me last year. It has been in a pot since and has grown strong. I am now in a position where I can plant it out if I want to. The colour and the texture I think will work well. I am however slightly worried about its growth habit. Linz told me it suckered and that's why she had to get rid of it. Most websites suggest it seeds readily. Neither outcomes make it suitable for my small garden. I'm not sure what to do for the best.

G.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Hmmm!
    I grow a few Achilleas ......4 varieties I think....and none sucker or seed.
    Do you know the variety Gary? It would help then to identify its unique habit :)
    As far as I know, achilleas “expand” in growth year on year as most perennials do but not unduly “sucker” or seed:noidea:
    I understand your dilemma; I too refuse planting suckering or freely seeding plants if possible. Suckering plants like many salvias, for example, are dug up every year and replanted after wayward roots are trimmed
    So, the variety is important in this regard:)

3. Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
    +5,414
  4. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Could be one called The Pearl....I don’t grow this one
    I would plant it out and dead head spent flowers....that should control any propensity to self seed. You could also check it’s growth habit at the end of summer dividing if necessary :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
      Ratings:
      +6,224
      Wow, can't believe it's in flower!
      Can't remember the variety of the white sorry but it is not the "the pearl".

Did the red and pink not take Gary? The red/pink was from johnsons seeds called "summer berries".

Not necessarily "sucker" but it does spread rapidly in my garden.. it could behave differently for you though, like vernon has said. (Fingers crossed!)

• Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
      +5,414
      Hi @Linz Good to see you. The photo was taken last summer. I planted it in the ground the other day. It is alive and well but I dont expect it to flower just yet. I'm expecting great things from it.

No, the pink one didn't take. I don't know why.

G.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
        Ratings:
        +6,224
        If I get a chance in the next week or so, I'll will try and remember to dig up some of the others before I move.. I'll grow it on and see...I'll be digging a few plants up anyways so no bother :)