1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding Perlite to tubs and containers.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Val.., Sep 7, 2014.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    I have decided that I am going to do this, my tubs mostly are filled with a mix of 3:2 multi purpose & J.I.No.3 but given the very wet weather that we have I am thinking that this would be a good idea to help with the drainage. On the Perlite bag it suggests a mix of 1 in 5 so I thought I would measure a fifth of the way down the container, remove that amount of soil and replace it with Perlite then mix it all up!! :) I have just ordered 100 litres of the stuff on ebay to get me started, anyone else do this?

Thought I would add this in here as well as the thread is about Perlite, this shows you can root cuttings very successfully using just perlite and water, brilliant I am going to try it.
    http://users.breathe.com/collingreenhough/Fuchsia_Cutting.htm

Val

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
      Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,177
      Well, that looks straightforward and an inexpensive experiment Val. I think I'll give it a go,
      thanks,
      Jenny

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      I always add perlite to my compost mixes too in the autumn and winter as it aids drainage.

I nearly always use a small grade perlite in my cutting compost mixes too :)

• CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,523
      I use it for potting on, really helps stop compost getting compacted. Hopefully my hanging baskets will be better next year as a result!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I use it too, and I use the fine grade. I did buy some from a Hydroponics store, as it was cheaper, but that turned out to be relativity coarse and I had to use more to get the same effect, which negated any saving!!, and it was too coarse for cuttings / seedlings.

I think the grade I use is 1-3mm, rather than 1-5mm

• Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,951
      That's what I ordered, thanks Kristen I was wondering if this would be too fine!!

Val