1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice and inspiration please

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by rachk116, Sep 27, 2019.

1. rachk116

rachk116 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi!

I have recently had an extremely large conifer removed from my front garden and it has left a massive area that needs some attention. I feel bad for removing a tree but unfortunately it was dying and smothered in ivy. It was also starting to lift the pavers on the drive so I'm afraid it had to go.

The area needs to be cleared of ivy but there are some large boulders that have been uncovered so I'm thinking something like a rock garden. I was thinking of putting in a smaller tree or shrub to restore some of the privacy we have lost but have no idea what would be good to put there. Ideally something that doesn't have large roots as it is next to a drive.

We have currently left the large stumps from the conifer as we weren't sure if we wanted to include them.in the rock feature and plant round them or remove them and start again.

I welcome any suggestions as I really don't know where to start. I have attached a photo of the area.

Thanks in advance

Rach

Attached Files:

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi @rachk116 i would start by clearing away all that ivyand sewing how much ground you actually have.. You could leave the stump in, but I would recommend it as you are leaving the door open to fungus, especially Honey fungus.. I would get the stump ground out if I were you.. Then if you more of the boulders you could make an ornamental corner.. The soil will be very poor so you will need to dig some organic matter in, You could dig in some John Innes Ericaceous Compost and well rotted wood chip as well to make the soil on the acidic side and make an Ericaceous bed and try a Camellia there perhaps. They can grow tallish, evergreen and beautiful blooms you could plant heathers and ferns as well amongst your boulders and then finish with a topping of wood chips again as a mulch.. Just a thought anyway.. :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • rachk116

Ratings:
      +9
      Thank you for the advice. I do plan to get rid of the ivy as soon as the weather improves. It's such a large area, much larger than I was expecting. I definitely want whatever goes there to be beneficial to wildlife too. Thanks again.
      Rach

• traceyphillips

traceyphillips Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi @rachk116, it seems you have a decent area to play around with! It should be fun!

First things first, you need to work out what you want the rock garden for. It seems you want 'pretty but private'.
      I'd definitely recommend a shrub and different size of rocks to add variety to the design!

Good luck! I hope it goes well!

Post on here when it's done :biggrin:

• rachk116

Ratings:
      +9
      Thank you @traceyphillips

Started clearing the ivy today and it turns out we already have about 15-20 large rocks in place already. What a bonus!! Ivy really is a pain to get rid of. Think we'll just have to persevere with the removal over time. Really looking forward to getting started on planning the planting .

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        Oh wow that’s much clearer.. I thought you would have more rocks there. Now that it is clear I would seriously think about having those two stumps ground out.. Only an hr or sos work for an Arb’ man as they can get get the machine right up to them and very worth it..
        You will be plagued by fungus if you don't and it will make replanting very hard...

• rachk116

Ratings:
        +9
        Hi!! Just thought I'd post a long overdue photo updating you on my rock garden progress. We've not really treated it as a rock garden as such but I'm really happy with how it looks now (photo taken in June).

20210622_184533.jpg

20210622_184526.jpg

• Like Like x 4
        • Creative Creative x 1
        • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,288
          You blooming well should be Rach, it looks delightful! :dbgrtmb:

Nick

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
            Ratings:
            +54,373
            Looks really fab @rachk116 , you could use the two stumps as pot stands. :dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Creative Creative x 1
            • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
              Ratings:
              +50,631
              It is lovely and I agree using the stumps for either pots or garden art. Well done. :star:

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • rachk116

Ratings:
                +9
                I'd actually considered carving out the middles and drilling some drainage holes to create a planter but I think that's a bit beyond my skills. I might get a shallow planter to put on them though .

• Like Like x 3