1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for a Plant Killer

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by kel mckinney, Mar 21, 2005.

1. kel mckinney

kel mckinney Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I am trying to get my fully paved garden up to scratch this summer but problem is, I can't keep plants alive. I am diabolical in all things green. Can anyone give me some advice as to what kind of potted plants and/or trees I can put in that need little looking after? two thirds of the garden is shaded throughout the day. Thank you for any help at all.

2. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    I'm guessing that your plants die of thirst so try bamboo or some grasses that have reasonable wide leaves like 'hakenachloa'. when they get really thirsty the leaves curl up tight to reduce water loss as if to say HELP ! and open back up when you shove it in a bucket of water, which is the best way of watering very dry plants, or you could try a mini pond and grow arum lillies. Stunning flower lasts for weeks. On a smaller scale there's houseleeks aka sempervivums means always living aslo said to ward off evil spirits.

3. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    In my experience there is very little that needs "little looking after" that will grow well in containers because of the regular watering requirements required by most plants. You could always invest in an irrigation system to keep your containers watered, that and regular feeding should help.

4. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Skrumpy..... my Irrigation system works very well...2 legs and 1 arm, a watering can, a dollytub with Llama manure and comfry stew and leisure time lol
    But good idea , I actually have a system can't be bother to rig it up,with a water meter from tap.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,696
    If you really like plants, then going round every evening in the summer doing the watering isn't a chore. You get a chance to see each plant close up and catch pests etc. before they get out of hand. Having said that I can also see that some people just dont have the time, in which case you cant have a garden in containers. Take up or perhaps dig up, some areas of the paving and plant.

6. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Slightly off topic, but I heard this morning on R4 they are discussing hosepipe bans in parts of the UK already.........remember to bathe with a friend and save the water for your plants!! [​IMG]

7. kel mckinney

kel mckinney Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  8. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Plant Killer
    I garden on really dry sandy soil, and also started out with containers. Look for plants with silvery foliage, hairy foliage and reduced leaves (all water retaining, wind resistant characteristics). Good ones are Stachys lanata (Lambs ears), Artemisia, Convulvulus cneorum, If you need a climber good old golden hop will grow ANYWHERE (though watch for rampant tendencies & hack back. I have an Amelanchier tree which grows well in my dry soil and gives flowers, fruit & a fab autumn display. Try also mixing water retaining gel crystals in containers, and if you can dig up some slabs and improve the soil in the gaps, you'll open up your options. Good luck.
    Bayleaf