1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for growing Raspberries

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Paul Blackburn, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    Last year and the year before I had hardly any Raspberries so I decided to grow them somewhere different this year.I had a raised bed free so I put a bag of manure in it and a bag of compost this was done in November and I have gradually mixed it all up.I planted ten Raspberry canes last week.Would it be ok to now add another bag of manure and a bag of compost to the bed.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    If well rotted Paul and not too close to rootball. Raspberries will sucker near the surface :)
    I would add fertiliser like fish blood n bone too:)

3. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks for your reply Verdun so what I will do is as I got two bags of manure from the stables this morning I will put one bag full into my two compost bins.I have now got some Fish Blood and Bone fertiliser and a bag of compost.What should I put down first the fertiliser or the compost.Thanks.

4. Verdun

Ratings:
    +17,487
    I like to put the fertiliser down first....nitrogen can be leached out if left on the surface....and compost mulch on top Paul :)

5. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,204
    @Paul Blackburn Just had to ask, you are not putting fresh manure onto the berries as its probably too strong for them and could burn the fresh new roots and shoots ?

6. Verdun

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Good point Ricky....I assumed manure was November batch :)

7. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I have put the two bags of manure into my two compost bins and spread the Fish Blood and Bone around the canes and have spread the compost on top.

• Like Like x 1