1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed for growing grass on sheltered and stony soil mound

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by smrd79, Jun 1, 2020.

1. smrd79

smrd79 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello,

Lovely to join this community. I am in the process of wanting to turn a large soil mound into a grassy hill for the kids to enjoy (teletubbies comes to mind :))

I've attached pictures of the current state of it. The area is slightly sheltered by trees and the soil itself contains alot of stones and glass - the majority (I hope) I have removed. I've turned over as best I can the soil and seem to continually dig up surprises of all sorts of things. All in all the soil is getting finer but it is still dry.

I have bought some multi purpose grass seed for this area. I just wanted to ask for advice on ensuring a successful grassy mound. Also, with regard to the odd bit of glass that has appeared at the surface, will this generally sink into the ground once the grass is through or does ground like this often raise up to the surface odds and sods like this from underneath?

I would be grateful of any guidance with this, in terms of soil fertility, laying the seed, timelines with this and anything else that will help it do well.

Thank you so much in advance!

Regards,
    Steve :)

Attached Files:

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,547
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Steve. :)

Your soil looks very much like my own so I'm guessing sandy loam. Unfortunately the stones and glass will eventually make their way to the surface with the exception of those that are buried quite deep. I have a similar problem with rocks so weight doesn't make a difference.

Sow the grass seed and gently water every day until it's established, allowing for rainy days of course. I would recommend that you don't fertilise before Spring of next year.

3. smrd79

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

Thank you so much for your advice :) I shall go ahead and lay the seed. I assume there isn't a great deal more else I can do to give it the best chance of looking the best it can, how much turning over of the soil is best? When spreading the seed, is there a techinique or way that is best or just sprinkle evenly by hand?

Apologies for this misplaced post, I originally couldn't post anywhere so when it said 'write post' I went for it.

Best Wishes,
    Steve

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,547
      Having formed the mound there is no need to turn over the soil. I always sprinkle seed by hand for a more even cover. I tend to use more than the recommended amount, it gives a better/thicker cover of grass. In fact I've been grass seeding a patch of lawn approximately 16 x 5ft today and almost emptied a 1.5 kilo box of seed. I also painstakingly cover the seed with a fine layer of soil after, it stops the birds from eating it all. The quickest way is to rake it in but I find it doesn't grow evenly and patches will need to be re-seeded. Then of course it needs a gentle watering every day until it's established - unless it rains of course.

Don't worry about the post being misplaced. :)

• smrd79

Ratings:
      +5
      Brilliant, thank you for your guidance. I did sprinkle the seed using the box it came in with the perforated pull out hole on the side but this meant it came out in heavy amounts and started to look patchy so just used a small cup. I used two large boxes so that should do, its about 18Sq metres if I remember. I did rake it shortly have placing the seed and although the sun has dissapeared the last few days, I've managed to keep the area moist.

I was a little confused what I woke up to this morning though. I have attached some pictures as to what seems like a cracking and raising of some patches on the mound. After painstakingly patting down and shaping the mound so well, it has now started to do that. Ca you please explain what is going on here and why it is doing it?

Thank you so much,
      Steve :)

Attached Files:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,547
      I suspect you have weed seeds or old grass sprouting, give it a few days and see what comes through, whatever it is it can be pulled out. The grass will do the same when it sprouts but you'll know the difference from the time scale. Usually between 10 and 14 days after sowing. The soil will eventually re-settle around the grass shoots or after watering.

• smrd79

Ratings:
      +5
      Wonderful thank you very much. I will continue to keep the mound well watered, mind you we're expecting plenty rain at the moment so that should suffice. Is it ok to. walk over the area at this point or within the 10-14 days to patt down the ground or add further seed or is it a case of just keep watering and stay clear of it for a while? We've had quite alot of stormy winds the last couple of days, there are alot of sticks and leaves covering the area.. will this affect the growth as in blocking sunlight or whatever? Another reason to have to tread over the ground to clear it up of leafy and tree debris etc.

Very grateful for your assistance. I hope you are doing well up there in the bonny highlands :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,547
        No I wouldn't walk over it at this stage but by all means pat the soil down with a tool. I use a rake with the handle in a vertical position and tamp it down so the prongs don't dig into the soil. It does the job without too much weight.

The debris will affect the growth as the young grass won't be able to push through it. You can also use the rake to remove that. Again don't use the prongs as that will lift the soil, just turn it over and use the back bar the prongs are attached too.

You're welcome of course. :) Yes thank you. I've only lived in the Highlands for 3 1/2 years and am loving it. I wish I'd made the move earlier as dotage is creeping up on me now. :biggrin:

• Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
        Ratings:
        +54,373
      • smrd79

Ratings:
        +5
        Hi Upsydaisy, thank you so much, thats very kind of you :) Lockdown has provided me with a rejuvenated love of the garden and nature. Glad to be a part of this x

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • smrd79

Ratings:
          +5
          I am absolutely delighted that after waiting and watching (like a fool) for so long, one day after all the torrential wet weather the grass just shot up out of nowhere and now as can be seen by the attached, is looking like a proper grass mound. I love the fact your name 'UpsyDaisy' is actually one of the characters in the world that inspired the grassy mound. But over the mound what will appear...the Ninkynok or the Pinky Ponk? ;).

I actually have one further question relating to the patchy areas on the mound. Am I too rake up this soil a little (as it is clearly drier than other areas) and reapply further seeds or shall I just top up those areas with putting the seed straight down? Also, at what point is the grass ready to mow and would you recommend using a lesser aggressive cutter like a flymo as opposed to a hefty machine?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
          Steve

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,547
            I'd give the grass seed another week or so to see if any more germinates Steve. I have a large patch in my lawn at exactly the same stage. If it doesn't appear you can lightly rake more in or even mix the seed with a small amount of soil and pat it on the bare patches.

Gently walking over the mound now will help the new grass. It breaks the stems and encourages the roots to grow new blades, this in turn will help the grass fill out. If the grass is long enough to use a mower on a high setting, that would be fine for the first two or three mowing's. A Flymo or strimmer is not usually recommended for the early cuts as they tend to rip at the grass instead of cutting.

I don't envy you the task of mowing it, good luck! :) I think I'd be more inclined to use good old fashioned shears. :biggrin:

• Informative Informative x 1
            • smrd79

Ratings:
              +5
              Hehe Yes I agree, shall I start at the top or the bottom :) Thank you again for your help, patience was the key!

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,547
              You're welcome. I always find starting at the furthest point or the worst point with everything I do works. So I suggest starting at the top and working your way down. :)