1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed for protecting plants at altitude

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by duffydog, Oct 21, 2010.

1. duffydog

duffydog Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I live in the French Alps at 1450m altitude (over 4750 ft).
    In the winter here ( which has just started with our first snow) we have fairly extreme temperatures and although it is still not too cold it is likely we will have temperatures around -20c ( which I think is about -4 farenheit) by December.

On the other side because we are fairly far south, summer temps are hot! I have a fairly new garden and have planted several flowering bushes - all chosen for their ability to withstand cold and frost. Howeverm last winter I lost a couple of bushes and 2 others appeared to have died but then came back as new shoots from the roots. Naturally - if I carry on like this, these bushes will never get any bigger as I will always just have one years growth! I have bought large frost blankets that allow the plants to breath and I have mulched with bark to protect the roots. My question is when to put the blankets on? I thought I should wait until all the leaves fell, which will probably be another 2 weeks as they are only just turning now, but now I am wondering if I can do it now as we had snow two days ago, though it has cleared now, but quite a frost last night. Will it hurt the plant to cover them now? I don't have time to keep covering and uncovering in the winter, so when the covers are on they have to stay on as I run a ski lodge and I'm also a ski guide, so the garden is under snow and on the back burner until spring! I would be grateful for any advice.
    Thanks! Emma:cool:

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi Duffydog, I would have got those covers on at the 1st mention of snow or frost to be honest..! The leaves are added protection.. :wink: If it is dry & not frosted go out & remove any remaing snow on the plants now, then as long as the leaves are dry get the covers on ASAP, beore any more frost & snow & then leave them on for the winter..!! You do not need to take them off till the spring.. I assume by frost blankets you mean the fleece blankets.. If so then the light still gets in too & keep them on till the risks of frost & snow have gone.. :scratch: Well that would be my take on it anyway.. Hope that helps.. :thmb:

3. duffydog

duffydog Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for that - the sun has melted our snow now and dried everything nicely so I am off to cover everything up!

Emma

4. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumb: Well done Emma & then leave them till spring.. :thumb:

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I would agree with Marley. A fleece will let some light through and is porous enough to allow your plant to breathe. I suspect that it will do them no harm to be covered now.

In the winter the fleece will be covered with snow, and I suspect that this 'Igloo effect' will keep the plant relatively warm. Its different in the UK, when it can be very cold but we have no snow cover. I suspect the blankets don't work quite as well.

Don't worry about the young plant dying back to ground level. If the plants really can stand those conditions they should thrive. As plants get older and woodier they can stand colder conditions. In the first year the plant has little root, so it is very vulnerable and not able to grow very big during the summer. But this year the roots and topgrowth will be bigger - and then even bigger next year. When the topgrowth is big enough it gets woody and shouldn't die back to the roots.

6. Lorna

Lorna Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    Well, Emma, aren't you lucky to live in the French Alps!

You've had, as always on this forum, very good advice. I would only add, what do your neighbours do? I've always found it to be instructive in a new area to have a look at what's growing in neighbouring gardens. And gardeners, as we all know, are always pleased to be asked for advice.

Lorna

7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,031
    Yep I think you need to be careful what you plant, It appears you get extremes of temperature so you really need to pick what you plant very carefully.

I dont really think frost blankets are likely to be very effective during such winters and you can only plant bone hardy shrubs.

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :wink: If the plants are in situ then every chance you have is worth a try in my opinion Pete even if there in such extremes in weather & temps.. :wink:

9. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,031
    I'm just thinking that minus 20C is more than most of us are used to, and if a shrub needs protection at this time of the year its obviously not likely to take minus 20 later on.

I'd tend to go for shubs that originate in N America or Northern China, Siberia even.

Dont think its comparable to a UK winter summer regime.:)

10. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: I know what you are saying Pete but from what Duffy has said they must be pretty hardy although as you so correctly pointed out, we are not sure what the shrubs are as none of us have asked.. :dh: :D