1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed on inherited lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by zMastaa, Nov 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. zMastaa

zMastaa Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Just moved into a new build house about 18 months old but the garden has not been looked after. The goal is to eventually have a neat healthy lawn with areas to have some plants around the borders.

IMG_6629.JPG IMG_6634.JPG

The whole back area dips quite a bit too, even more so on the right side. Also the growth on the wall is from a neighbours overgrown garden.

Basically, where do I start? and is it too late in the year to do anything at the moment?

• Like Like x 1
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,661
      Yes and no.
      The dip to the right - does that end up at the same level as the neighbours lawn or is it higher / lower? It looks as though the far right hand corner is the worst and you can strip the turf, top it up with soil and relay the turf on top. If it's worse than it looks in the pictures then more dramatic levelling might be required.
      Certainly you can give the grass a cut now (not too short, it needs to be left slightly longer over winter) but you have dollops of what looks like poo so clear those up first. It's a bit grim if you don't!
      You can easily mark out and dig borders now too - add in soil improver and it will be ready for Spring planting.

• Like Like x 2
      • zMastaa

Ratings:
        +1
        Thanks for the quick response @Loofah, i forgot to mention, its not poo lol an unfinished 10 storey flat development was torched on the opposite street and what you see is the left over ash. Also i'm not sure if it meets the neighbours lawn on the right I can take a look when I can.

• Loofah

Ratings:
        +21,661
        It's not terrible if it doesn't but if you raise the soil level to flatten the lawn then the fence would rot where the new soil is in contact. Just something to consider

• Agree Agree x 1
        • zMastaa

Ratings:
          +1
          IMG_6863.JPG IMG_6865.JPG
          So I've begun work on this after finally having some long spells of dry(ish) weather, the above pictures are the first I did at the end of January.

IMG_6874.JPG IMG_6877.JPG IMG_6879.JPG

This weekend I've further cut it down, there was a bunch of random things hidden in there like a spade and hair comb.:scratch:

I've done a bit of reading and I'm confused is the next thing I should be doing is getting a moss killer and lawn feed on there or scarifying? There is a lot of dead grass/moss all over the place, some less than overs.

Thanks

• roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +6,948
          That looked like pretty good grass so you have a good chance............you have cut it a bit short all in one go though.
          So I would rake quite harshly getting up as much loose grass and moss and debris as possible.
          Get a granual feed, moss and weed killer ,apply prior to rain.
          Do not cut to short ever............often yes........short no.
          First thing .......define that front edge to the patio with a spade or lawn edger.
          I wouldn't worry to much about the dip ,when you have defined the borders etc. you will hardly notice it. Gives it a bit of character.
          Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Loofah

Ratings:
            +21,661
            Yup, it's my lumps and dips that give me character too!

• Funny Funny x 1
            • zMastaa

Ratings:
              +1
              Thanks fellas, I will get some moss and weed killer on there as soon as.

• Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
              +599
              Like @roders mentioned, the grass appears to have been cut too short and has kinda 'scalped' it.

Although this is not good for the grass, the pics show the areas of ground that are uneven, so it may be a blessing in disguise, as the deeper cuts into the grass/soil and the remaining greener areas show the troughs and peaks.

It's not going to be an easy job to get it level but before asking any further questions.... when the ground is really wet do your feet sink into the soil? I don't mean does the ground feel spongy.... but does footwear literally leave craters in the lawn?

• zMastaa

Ratings:
              +1
              No, my feet stay on top of the soil, no craters.

• Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
              +599
              Just wondering as seen a fair few new builds where the builders have dumped tonnes of topsoil, simply raked it around and thrown a load of grass seed on top. After heavy rain, feet can literally sink right into the soil.

Your lawn looks like it needs levelling otherwise you could always end up with patches the are different colours to other parts of the lawn, as the mower will cut some areas short and leave others longer. The shorter areas will be prone to moss infestation as the grass will be weakened, if scalped.

It's not a huge lawn so a levelling project can be tackled in a day or two with a spade, some topsoil, enough seed to cover the lawn, a large plank (or ladders tied to a rope) and a roller, but not when it's raining. Gently rake the seed in after the topsoil is compresed and keep off it until the seed has established. May be woth aerating first though.

I'd say forget about scarifying or feed & weed and tackle the bumps and crevices as the bumps will inevitably lead to continual moss and aesthetic issues.

• Like Like x 1