1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Needed On My Planting A Tree Of Rememberance

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Andy Palmer, May 23, 2022.

1. Andy Palmer

Andy Palmer Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good Afternoon,

My partner Maxine of 17 years, passed away from cancer Oct 2021, she was 61.

Her favourite place was Eype Caravan Park in Dorset, DT6 6AL (see pic). Her favourite fruit were cherries. I've been given permission to plant a tree in her memory. I have been told a cherry tree may not survive if not watered in regularly. I only holiday there once or twice a year so it's not possible for me to tend to it weekly. That being said, can anyone recommend a tree that could be planted, watered in and then be O.K to leave it? I intend to put a small fence around it to deter grazing wildlife too.

If not a cherry tree, then maybe another fruit tree or any tree that will also help bees and such when it is in flower. I do not have a problem with people picking the fruit should I choose a fruit tree.

Additionally, the Caravan Park is a small freindly family run place so I have no worries about it getting ruined by (for lack of a better phrase) 'unruly people'

Thanks ever-so in advance.

Andy

Eype Caravan Park[​IMG]
    upload_2022-5-23_13-42-24.png

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,931
    I think in the instance autumn planting would be a better option, the tree would have more chance to get itself established before the onset of warmer and dryer weather.

A cherry tree would be good for wildlife but are there any size restraints that you need to take into account.

3. Andy Palmer

Ratings:
    +0
    Good Afternoon Pete,
    There are no size restraints so I was thinking of a tree from a garden centre that is maybe 6-8ft tall. Something along the lines of :[​IMG]

4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,931
    Yeah, ok.
    Just think that planting now would mean that tiny rootball, on such a large plant, would dry out out in about a day at this time of the year.

OK if you can water every day until the end of summer, but as you cant my personal thoughts are that it would struggle at best.

5. Andy Palmer

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice Pete :-)

Kind Regards

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,931
    Hang around, I'm sure you will get more input from others.

7. Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
    Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
    Ratings:
    +6,780
    We have planted several ornamental trees over the past year, one a Tibetan Cherry. All recommend daily watering to begin with then weekly then fortnightly for the first year. This is because the fine roots that take up the water are damaged in the transplanting and take the best part of a year to recover.