1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed on removing a 'Kerria japonica Pleniflora' inc. suckers

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Kevin Cowans, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,065
    Hello all

I am going to be able to get started on sorting out my garden sooner than expected and one thing I need to do is to remove a 'Kerria japonica Pleniflora' that has become overgrown and has spread behind the shed.

Can someone offer some advice as to how I would go about removing this shrub?

I can get to the main part of the shrub so I will be able to cut it right down there however the suckers are inaccessible at the moment since they are behind the shed.

I will be replacing the shed in a couple of months so I will hopefully try to address the suckers then, however, I need to know how the suckers grow.

Do the suckers root themselves or are they still reliant on the main root?

How would I go about removing the suckers?

I will not be moving the shrub, I just need it gone.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hiya Kevin, I learned a few years back that this lovely shrub is an invader:sad:
    It spreads by underground roots AND surface roots.:sad:
    If you cut it down it generates vigorous suckering so, take your time, dig the whole plant out. Then go over the area removing roots and suckers left behind.
    After that, keep an eye on the odd stray sucker and spray with glyphosate. Good time now because any suckering will be apparent and quick so you can respray up to late September and sort the issue this season:)
    I would tackle the job now. Glyphosate will not be effective in the dormant season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
      +1,065
      Hello @Verdun

Thanks for the reply.

The issue is that at the moment I am not able to reach the suckers (8' +) that are behind the shed and will not be able to gain access until the old shed is dismantled in a couple of months in preparation for the new one.

Just wondering but would spraying the main shrub now with RoundUp work, would that kill the main shrub and also the suckers?

Then I could just clear what is left of the suckers when the old shed is removed.

I could do that now if that would work.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

• Like Like x 1
      • Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Cut back now then half way and then spray it when new growth appears in a couple of weeks. Glyphosate is more effective on young growth
        Wont kill the suckers but will help. Turn over the ground thoroughly when you can thereafter Kevin:)

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
        +1,065
        Hello @Verdun

Thanks and sorry for the late reply, my Wireless Keyboard ran out of charge :)

Kevin

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
        +1,065
        Hello @Verdun

I have just cut down what I could reach and will spray it once it starts to grow again.

Also, do the suckers just pull up or do they require digging out?

On a side note, it is too hot out there, I do not handle heat well anyway (one of my sensory sensitivities) but I feel like a lobster being given the guided tour of the pan rim :(

Thanks for your advice, it is appreciated.

Kevin

• Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Dig out, pull out....both Kevin :)

Yep! Bloomin' hot. :SUNsmile: A beach guy here but best be sensible and keep out of the sun until later :)

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
        +1,065
        Thanks @Verdun

I must say that I envy you living near the sea, I love being next to water, I always have but living in Doncaster and not being able to travel far on my own limits my choices.

Kevin

• Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,487