Advice needed please for a new camera!!

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by takemore02withit, Dec 26, 2008.

1. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    My head is in a spin:roll: Mr 02 has given me up to £150 to spend on a good digital camera.xmastree The problem is I cant decide which:cnfs::scratch: I would like to take good quality photos and be able to zoom in if need be. I really enjoy taking photos and if I have a flaire for it maybe take it up as a serious hobby. I have looked at so many on the net and read up about them, even reviews. I just cant make my mind up.:flag:. Pleeeeeeeeeeease can somebody :help: 02

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,279
    Hi TM02 ,I Review Digital Camera,s from time to time ,such as Fuji,Cannon Nikon,Ect It depends really what you need,But In my Opinion the Panasonic,s are far superior in the Compact and Bridge camera Range ,their lenses (Leica )cannot be beaten,If I can be of any more help with Model type and specifications just ask:thumb::)

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    That's a question that's almost impossible to give a definitive answer too as there are now so many and these days most are very good.
    You need to decide what features you are looking for in a camera and what sort of photography you think would interest you. Take your time - prices will go down rather than up. You've already thinned out the field by setting a budget limit, but be aware that the retail prices can vary quite significantly. I bought my last three cameras mail order over the internet and saved a considerable sum over high street prices.
    DP Review ---- http://dpreview.com/
    currently has a feature on compact cameras and I'd suggest you look at that, if you've not already done so.
    One thing you'll discover is that a high mega pixel count is NOT the best criterion for judging a camera. If all you are likely to want are A3 sized prints 8 MP is sufficient, though a large sensor (MPs) does give a bit more latitude for cropping and enlarging. Some of the cameras with highest MP count do not produce as good images as some with a smaller MP sensor.
    Another thing to think about is zoom. Be careful here as there is a BIG difference between optical and digital zoom. If you are going to process photos on your PC digital zoom is pointless as you can get much better zoom quality using your PC. A good optical zoom range is worth having though.
    Look at the camera controls and menu structure. How easy is it to use manual control over settings for aperture, speed, ISO ? If you want to move beyond simple point and shoot you'll find you want to use some control over the camera.

I'm sure if you can come up with a shortlist of 4 or 5 some of the GC photo-buffs will chip in their tuppence worth of advice or experience.

Happy hunting!

BTW - Every time I've changed cameras it's taken me a couple of weeks of research (and headaches) before I make up my mind and then a couple of days on the web finding the best deal.

Edit - Just had another thought. A look on Ebay might be worthwhile as there will probably be quite a few on soon as folk trade-up 'old' ones after Christmas.
    Edit again - just spotted a serious error in the above. I missed out a NOT!!

4. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi 02, I got my Fuji Finepix S5800. I used Auto Mode Yesterday, and im very happy with it, ive been to work today so I haven't had time to Experiment yet, Ive posted a couple of pics to show you....

[​IMG]

THIS ONE WAS TAKEN ZOOMED IN FROM THE BACK DOOR...

[​IMG]

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    That's a great start YDD. You'll love the Fuji as they are great cameras. We had one a good bit older than yours and passed it on to Mrs W's sis - she's taking super photos.

A suggestion regarding the baby feet pic of yours - if you have the software, try cropping so that you are just showing the feet and ankles, I reckon it would be a wonderful photo!

6. takemore02withit

Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks Woo,Dave and Dee, like you Dee I was going for the FujiS5800, because it seemed Ideal with its 8mp and I think its 10x optical zoom. Then I saw Fuji s1000FD which has 10mp and 12X optical zoom which was a litttle bit dearer but still in my price range. I was amazed at the amount of cameras there is to choose from. I think I will do what you recommended Dave and get myself a shortlist of about 5 cameras and come back and ask your opinions on my choices. Great pics Dee:thmb:. Happy snapping guys and thank you for taking the time. 02

7. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,925
  8. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi 02, Choices, There's so many, the reason i chose my camera is because on another gardening forum im on, someone was posting great pics and i asked her what camera she had, she had a Fuji j5o, and I started googling, i chose mine because its a newer camera than the j5o, The 10x optical zoom is brilliant, but with advice from the members in the know on GC the digital Zoom is important too. :D you see im learning...

Hi Dave w, thanks for the advice, as it happens i read in the manual that I can crop my pics using the camera, I haven't had time to try yet, i need to sit down for a few days and Experiment :thumb: and i apologise if im gett'n too technical here hahahaha... Dee..

9. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Ive cropped the image on my camera, it was so easy...Not so sharp...

[​IMG]

And A soft light pic....

[​IMG]

10. takemore02withit

Ratings:
    +40
    Hi Dee looks like your having such fun with your new camera.:thmb: I'm getting really impatient now,:el-f: Thats a great site Dave gave me to look at, covers most everything. Obviously some of it is over my head :dh: but I'm sure in time I'll learn a lot more. Ive had a look at the fujis now I'm going to have a look at the Panasonics. Phew its exausting this camera hunting.:ywn: Keep them pics coming Dee.:gnthb: 02

11. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi 02, ive had a look at Roders link, and there's a camera case there, Thanks Roders :thumb: .. The Fuji S1000 looks Brilll, More advanced than mine.Panoramic, Face Recognition, 12mp, sounds great..There's no hurry, take your time and dont forget when the sales end :) Happy hunting...

12. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    I heartily endorse the purchase of a Fuji FinePix digital SLR trpe camera. I have a S6500fd. It has a large screen, and although the zoom is manual I have no problems with it. It also has lots of settings so if you are so inclined you can do some really tricksy stuff but I have to admit that I keep it set on manual most of the time and it does the work for me admirably. Here are a couple of pictures I took recently in a clients garden, one as it was getting dusk to give an idea of the calrity achievable.

13. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,279
    Hi Boghopper Yes the Fuji S6500fd (A bridge Camera) or (super zoom)
    is an excellent camera ,but as we all know we all have our own favourite manufactures ,My DSLR is a Cannon 350D to me Canon is the tops in the DSLR market but on saying that many people will say that Nikon are the best and so on:thumb:I have two Bridge camera,s the(Panasonic FZ18) Bridge camera and the (Fuji film S8000fd) Bridge camera) in my opinion the Panasonic is far superior but I stress this is only my choice,I also have Tried the( Fuji S9600)and the (Panasonic FZ8) and I am waiting to review the(Panasonic FZ28)As I say all the Camera,s are excellent and will do a good job but the most important Factor in photography is the Photographer ,then the Lens and then the Camera Body (IMHO):thumb::)

14. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,243
    I can recommend Panasonic (mine is the 12x FZ7) as my pics of our holiday in the States proved, you can get very good quality photos from a bridge camera without having to carry extras lenses etc.
    It is easy to use, fairly light although it might not fit in your pocket.There are so many good cameras out there it is hard to chose, hope you find what you want.:)

15. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    ive got the fuji finepix and its a great camera but i enjoy my kodak easy share v1253 it takes great pics and is 12 mega pixels and they have come right down in price since i bought mine last january.