1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed re: privet hedge

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by LizG, Aug 22, 2018.

1. LizG

LizG Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I'm new here. I am hoping that one of you might be able to help me.

I have just bought a load of privet hedge plants from an online supplier, and am worried that they will not form a good hedge. Though advertised as being 120-150cm high, with growth throughout the length of the plant, most of those supplied are between 150-200cm high, with almost all growth starting from 50-100cm up the main stem(s). The plants therefore look very leggy, with the first 50-100cm almost entirely bare (see picture).

The supplier assures me that this is because the plants have been grown in containers set close together, so the lower parts of the plants haven't had much light. They say that if I plant them out the lower areas will start to produce leaves and bush out (if that is a term), so that within weeks I will be able to see the difference and a good hedge will eventually be formed.

I am sceptical. Can anyone reassure me (or otherwise)?

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    Hello @LizG and welcome to the forum.
    Although it does not seem like good business to sell plants like that - and it will be quite true what the grower has said I think, they have not been able to see the light, you will find that if you plant them, water them in well, and chop the tops off, they will progress quite quickly. The soil is still warm now for them to make a good start, and I promise you privet is very tough indeed.

Having said that - there is still no reason why you cannot kick up a stink if you want to, and ask the seller to offer a discount at least, as they certainly do not fit his description. :)

3. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hello LizG....welcome :)

Yes, I agree with Tetters. Plant, water and prune the tops and they will bush out nicely
    I too think you should contact the supplier:)

4. Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    :snorky: Hey Liz, I pay him to agree with me.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Verdun

Ratings:
      +17,487
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,801
      Plant out then trim the tops and also every third one cut back hard. These ones should bush out lower down and the others will bush out slightly higher so all bases covered.

• Like Like x 2
        Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
      • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,830
        The above advise is correct, plant, prune and water. Aim for a pyramid shape to encourage growth low down. Privet is tough. I like it, so many people don’t.

• Like Like x 2
        • Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Agree Redwing. Privet is easy, tough and, when trimmed well, is attractive.
          I grow a yellow variety which is a delightful plant :)

• Like Like x 1